NFL 2007, Part One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Justin24 said:
Why do you have to be a fan of a home town team? The niners are garbage as is the raiders. You expect me to be loyal to that?

Chargers, buddy. Chargers. Even with Norv they're still better than the Cowgirls. :up:

Besides, the whole point of being loyal is suffering until something good happens. Being loyal to a 5-1 team isn't all that impressive. :tsk:

Justin24 said:
Why do you have to be a fan of a home town team? The niners are garbage as is the raiders. You expect me to be loyal to that?
Both have been quite good in the past, perhaps you're too young to recall, although the Niners were champs not so very long ago.

And if you stick with them in the lean years, its more rewarding whe they get good, as any loyal New England fan will attest.

Justin24 said:

Yes. Because it's your hometown team. In sports, you stick with your team through thick and thin, regardless. That's how it works.

phillyfan26 said:
So? I'm saying you should never have been a Dallas fan.

Nobody should ever be a Cowgirl fan. Believe me, I know. I liked them when I was little, but took Phillyfan's advice years ago and stuck with the home team. Now I cheer for the best defense in the NFC each week instead of Romo. :up:

I don't call them anything other than the Dallas Cowboys. Those two words themselves should be bad enough.

They've also got T.O., two letters that should be bad enough.

My favorite anti-Dallas moment ever was Merrill Reese and Stan Walters way back when announcing a game when Tex Schram was still around. There was a terrible call, and Stanley walked out of the booth:

MERRILL: Ladies and gentlemen, Stanley Walters has ... taken off his headset ... slammed it on the counter ... and has left the booth.
[Continues announcing, Stanley returns a minute later]
STANLEY: I'm sorry Merrill, but I was about to say some things that were going to get me fired. I'll just say this on the air: This is a total disgrace. Tex Schram has got each and every one of these officials in his pocket. And anything more I want to say will get me in trouble with the FCC.

In an unrelated note, Merrill Reese is such a great announcer. It's a shame he's only on radio, because he deserves more attention than he gets. He's had some great lines:

"Mike, this officiating crew has no idea what is going on out there. No idea at all. They're meeting together just to spot the ball. It appears they've reached the decision, after a full minute, to place the ball on the 43 yard line. And do you know why? Because it looks good there."

While on the subject of announcers, I want somebody, anybody, to take Monday Night Football off the air and fix it. It's completely worthless now. Kornheiser just makes ridiculous, BS remarks, Jaws argues with him, and they all start laughing. Now they have "guest stars" in the booth. WTF?

say what you want about the cowboys but in the end they will alway be better than the SeaGulls I mean eagles or what ever team Lemon decides to root for this week. ;)

Last edited:
LemonMelon said:

:eyebrow: Skins fan since I was 5, thank you very much. :tsk:

Well the Skins can go suck a Golf ball through a garden hose thank you very much. I was happy to see them lose last week :D

Justin24 said:

Well the Skins can go suck a Golf ball through a garden hose thank you very much. I was happy to see them lose last week :D

Dallas' last playoff win: 1996 season
Washington's last playoff win: 2005 season

And I was very glad to see Dallas severely humbled. Maybe the Colts will help you feel better in a couple of weeks. :wink:

LemonMelon said:

Dallas' last playoff win: 1996 season
Washington's last playoff win: 2005 season

And I was very glad to see Dallas severely humbled. Maybe the Colts will help you feel better in a couple of weeks. :wink:

Well I hope so also, cause the patriots suck ass just like the Yankees and Redsox, but this is not the baseball thread.

Justin24 said:

I think it's perfectly legitimate to like a team other than the home team so long as it's not for the reasons espoused by Justin.

For example, here in Montreal there are a lot, and I mean a lot of Boston Bruins fans (as well as other teams). The reasons for this are largely due to familial allegiances, i.e. father grew up watching the Bruins and the son(or daughter) is carrying the torch so to speak. Or, I knew someone a long time ago that was a huge Red Wings fan because he idolized Steve Yzerman.

This is ok in my book, but to say that the 49ers and Raiders are garbage and therefore not worthy of your loyalty is complete B.S.

Justin, in case you didn't know, the fortunes of sports teams are cyclical. When the 49ers were in the middle of their dynasty the Cowboys were experiencing some very challenging years. In 1988 and 1989, while the 49ers were winning Super Bowls, Dallas went 3-13 and 1-15, respectively. So, using your logic who was garbage then, and who would you be supporting? The Cowboys are good now but they inevitably will experience a downturn sometime in the future and at that point what then? Will you continue to support them despite being garbage or will you switch allegiances.

I have been a longtime 49ers fan, for almost 20 years, and I have continued to support them through thick and thin. This, in my opinion, is the essence of being a fan—going through the bleakness of the lean years to eventually experience the euphoria of the good years.

BonoManiac said:

I have been a longtime 49ers fan, for almost 20 years, and I have continued to support them through thick and thin. This, in my opinion, is the essence of being a fan—going through the bleakness of the lean years to eventually experience the euphoria of the good years.

My dad is a Rams fan. He would know quite a bit about this. :lol:

BonoManiac said:

I think it's perfectly legitimate to like a team other than the home team so long as it's not for the reasons espoused by Justin.

For example, here in Montreal there are a lot, and I mean a lot of Boston Bruins fans (as well as other teams). The reasons for this are largely due to familial allegiances, i.e. father grew up watching the Bruins and the son(or daughter) is carrying the torch so to speak. Or, I knew someone a long time ago that was a huge Red Wings fan because he idolized Steve Yzerman.

This is ok in my book, but to say that the 49ers and Raiders are garbage and therefore not worthy of your loyalty is complete B.S.

Justin, in case you didn't know, the fortunes of sports teams are cyclical. When the 49ers were in the middle of their dynasty the Cowboys were experiencing some very challenging years. In 1988 and 1989, while the 49ers were winning Super Bowls, Dallas went 3-13 and 1-15, respectively. So, using your logic who was garbage then, and who would you be supporting? The Cowboys are good now but they inevitably will experience a downturn sometime in the future and at that point what then? Will you continue to support them despite being garbage or will you switch allegiances.

I will stick with them. through thick and thin.

:yes:

I used to wish ill on Tom Brady a few years back and got ripped mercilessly for it. Take it from me, it's much nicer here when you're rational :up:

LemonMelon said:
Now they have "guest stars" in the booth. WTF?
That is not a new phenomenon, MNF has had guest in the booth for several decades. John Lennon was even in the booth once with Cosell and co.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom