NFL 2007, Part One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
phanan said:

What's really sick is that the defense is playing well and they will be getting back Rodney Harrison in Week 5 and Richard Seymour in Week 7.

I've really missed Rodney Harrison, I'm sure the other teams can't wait for his return. Too bad he won't be eligible against Cincinnati.

Is it for sure that Seymour will be back for week 7? I was under the impression that he probably wouldn't be ready, though the Pats generally don't give you much info on their injuries.

Got Philk? said:
The Bears' offense is ridiculously awful. I can't stand watching this D continuously have to go out and look great and then...2 yard run, pass deflected over the middle, Grossman runs a small circle backwards, tries to get to the outside...sack...and on and on I go. If you cannot pass, you cannot run. If you cannot run, you cannot pass. Seems to me like both cases are true in this situation.

3rd and 11, clock running with 6 seconds left in the half, and Grossman SPIKES THE DAMN BALL???!? So it's 4th and 11. What are we going to do...punt??? Either say hike with a play, or go into the half. I turned it off after he got sacked so I don't know if time just ran out or what, but hey...why not let them have a chance for a field goal before the half. That would be so nice of us.

Besides that nice pass that Berrian dropped, I've seen nothing to make me say Grossman is a good starting qb. Now stop rolling your eyes because Benson too has not shown me anything but a rb who's thinking about where to run rather than running through the holes. The whole offense looks about as bad as it did when Kordell Stewart was our starting qb.

I'm pissed. Go cubs...

there is an answer out there somewhere...

ortonraging1.jpg

I believe, as a Charger fan, it is officially time to panic. Or, just face the fact that last year was a total illusion, and the Chargers have just gone back to being the Chargers of the past. :madspit:

I do believe I watched the beginning of a team melt down yesterday. The players are too frustrated with the coaching to get the job done. And they should be. The coaches have their heads up their asses. If they don't fire Cottrell immediately, our entire season is screwed. Hell, I could have called that game better yesterday than he did, and I'm a chick that doesn't know that much about football!! :wink: And don't get me started on Norv Turner. I knew he was a total loser and a big mistake, I guess I just didn't realize how big of mistake until yesterday. A loss to the freakin Packers??? :mad:

Eskin had a guy on his radio show picking games on Friday, and he moved to the Packers-Chargers, and said, "You know, this Packers team's ready for a letdown game, overachieving at 2-0, and this Chargers team is clearly superioir. But Norv Turner is such an idiot, proven time and time again, that I have to pick Green Bay here."

phillyfan26 said:
Eskin had a guy on his radio show picking games on Friday, and he moved to the Packers-Chargers, and said, "You know, this Packers team's ready for a letdown game, overachieving at 2-0, and this Chargers team is clearly superioir. But Norv Turner is such an idiot, proven time and time again, that I have to pick Green Bay here."

OK, I have to :lol: at that, and :sad: at the same time, because its so true. How much do think Marty is loving all of this? I hope he is sitting back, watching the games with a big ol beer and an even bigger smile on his face. He deserves it. AJ Smith is a tool, and he has proven that his ego maniac driven choices have gone too far. He wanted a lap dog coach that he could totally control, and now he has it. Nice one, AJ.:madspit:

Kinsa said:

How much do think Marty is loving all of this? I hope he is sitting back, watching the games with a big ol beer

The thing with Marty is, he probably choked on it

:wink:

:sad: :sad: :sad: Yesterday sucked. Hard. At least my picks were pretty good...10-5 so far. :slant:

This bye week for the Skins will be frustrating, but now is as good a time as any to get some adjustments made. How you can completely dismantle the Giants in one half and dismantle yourself in the second is beyond me.

I'm still not sold on Philly though. It just tells me that the Skins will have their way with the Lions come week 5. :wink:

phanan said:
If the first two weeks are any indication, the Cowboys will be running away with the NFC East.

I'll change this to three weeks and stand by my prediction, although running away might be a bit too strongly worded.

They'll win the NFC East by at least a couple of games over the Redskins, I think.

Kinsa said:
I believe, as a Charger fan, it is officially time to panic. Or, just face the fact that last year was a total illusion, and the Chargers have just gone back to being the Chargers of the past. :madspit:

I do believe I watched the beginning of a team melt down yesterday. The players are too frustrated with the coaching to get the job done. And they should be. The coaches have their heads up their asses. If they don't fire Cottrell immediately, our entire season is screwed. Hell, I could have called that game better yesterday than he did, and I'm a chick that doesn't know that much about football!! :wink: And don't get me started on Norv Turner. I knew he was a total loser and a big mistake, I guess I just didn't realize how big of mistake until yesterday. A loss to the freakin Packers??? :mad:

This is why, as a native Southern Californian, I have never rooted for the Chargers..."fans" are too quick to bale out, jump ship, panic, or whatever you want to call it.....I can hear the crashes from my home near Qualcomm.....

Although I don't like the Chargers, Cub fans know better than to give up that easily....look, the Chargettes had a difficult start/tough first 3 games...get over it! move on, or don't if you want to adopt a new team..

ET said:

This is why, as a native Southern Californian, I have never rooted for the Chargers..."fans" are too quick to bale out, jump ship, panic, or whatever you want to call it.....I can hear the crashes from my home near Qualcomm.....

Why do the fans effect what team you root for? Aren't you rooting for the team and not the fans that go along with them?

ET said:

Although I don't like the Chargers, Cub fans know better than to give up that easily....look, the Chargettes had a difficult start/tough first 3 games...get over it! move on, or don't if you want to adopt a new team..

And, since I hate George Bush and what he has done to this country I am un-American and not patriotic, right???? :huh: This kind of logic has never made sense to me - you aren't loyal to something because you are able to step back and criticize and see the faults????

I am a HUGE Charger fan, and I love the team, that's why its so painful for me to see what they are going through right now. Does that mean I am less of a fan because I able to see the major failings of the team? Hell NO!! I have been faithfully attending every possible home game since 1993, even the year we went 1-15 (I miss the prices of the tickets during those good ol days:wink:), and will continue to do so. I'm not bailing, I'm just majorily disappointed. I am no less of a fan simply because I am completely bummed out that Norv Turner managed to majorly fuck up a team that had a legitimate chance of going all the way. :eyebrow:

:shrug: The Chargers are just being outcoached every game. Your offensive system (LT first, the rest later) has been figured out, and it's showing up on the scoreboard. Who's to blame? Norv Turner. He's an incompetent head coach...and believe me, as a Skins fan, I would know. :wink:

Don't worry though. As long as you're in the horrible AFC West and have that stacked roster, you'll make the playoffs every year.

randhail said:

Why do the fans effect what team you root for? Aren't you rooting for the team and not the fans that go along with them?

Fans have never influenced which team I root for....not in a gazillion years...
that's why I don't understand when they give up on their team so early....jumping ship is a little premature I think.

randhail said:

:hmm:

I was going to disagree, but then I remembered where my favourite teams play... :wink:

ETA: I wish I didn't have to root for the Nationals and the Giants. :slant:

Headache in a Suitcase said:

there is an answer out there somewhere...

ortonraging1.jpg

:lmao:

I almost spit up some coke when I read this. I like the guy...but Orton is not the answer...

Griese might not be either. But I keep thinking of Trent Dilfer with Baltimore. I'm not saying Griese will be Dilfer, but I think he can manage a game enough to play a game of field position and help us move down the field at least a little bit.

I tried so hard to defend Grossman all year last year. But I won't now...the team needs a change. And then the team needs to go a different direction...with a qb in the draft. :sad: I really did like Grossman. But I fear he is done in Chitown.

It's early I know...but a huge part of Chicago's winning last year was the defense scoring point. That also hasn't happened as much yet. And if it doesn't, we are going to struggle all year long I fear.

Last edited:
Michael Vick Hit With Local Indictments
By HANK KURZ Jr., AP Sports Writer
Tue Sep 25, 6:31 PM

SUSSEX, Va. - Michael Vick, already looking at a federal prison term for bankrolling a dogfighting operation in rural Virginia, now faces two state charges that could get him more prison time if he's convicted.

After a Surry County grand jury indicted the Atlanta Falcons quarterback and three co-defendants Tuesday, Vick's lawyers indicated they will fight the state charges on the grounds that he can't be convicted twice of the same crime.

The NFL star, scheduled for sentencing Dec. 10 after pleading guilty to federal dogfighting conspiracy charges, faces state charges of beating or killing or causing dogs to fight other dogs and engaging in or promoting dogfighting. Each felony is punishable by up to five years in prison. Arraignments are set for Oct. 3.

The grand jury declined to indict the 27-year-old Vick and two co-defendants on eight additional counts of killing or causing to be killed a companion animal, felonies that would have exposed them to as many as 40 years in prison if convicted.

Vick defense attorney Billy Martin said in a statement that the state counts concern "the same conduct covered by the federal indictment for which Mr. Vick has already accepted full responsibility."

Martin said he will "aggressively protect his rights to ensure that he is not held accountable for the same conduct twice."

Vick was convicted of a federal conspiracy count while the state indictment deals with the act of dog fighting, said Steven Benjamin, a Richmond defense lawyer who is not involved in the case. The prosecution will argue that's enough of a difference to allow the charges to proceed, he said.

Surry County Commonwealth's Attorney Gerald G. Poindexter had told The Associated Press on Monday night that he would seek indictments on different crimes than the ones Vick admitted to in federal court. He did not elaborate to reporters outside court Tuesday.

The charges are the first leveled against Vick in the county where he built a home that became the base of the dogfighting operation, where local investigators first uncovered evidence of the enterprise.

None of the defendants nor their lawyers were at the Sussex County courthouse, where the grand jury met because the courthouse in neighboring Surry County is closed for renovations.

Poindexter told reporters he was not disappointed the grand jury passed on the eight additional dog killing counts.

"I'm just glad to get this to the position where it is now and, one day in the not too distant future, we will be rid of these cases," he said.

In a written statement, Poindexter and Sheriff Harold Brown attempted to diffuse in advance any suggestion that race influenced the grand jury. Brown, Poindexter and the four defendants are black, as are four of the six grand jurors.

"These are serious charges, and we can assure you that this grand jury was not driven by racial prejudice, their affection or lack of affection for professional athletes, or the influence of animal rights activists and the attendant publicity," the statement said.

In pleading guilty to the federal charges last month, Vick admitted helping kill six to eight dogs, among other things. He faces up to five years in prison.

Vick's co-defendants had pleaded guilty earlier and detailed Vick's role in the grisly enterprise.

In the state case, co-defendant Purnell Peace was indicted on one count of beating or killing or causing dogs to fight other dogs and one count of engaging in or promoting dogfighting. Quanis Phillips was indicted on one count of engaging in or promoting dogfighting.

Tony Taylor, who left the enterprise several years ago and was the first to plead guilty, faces the most serious state charges _ three counts of beating or killing or causing dogs to fight other dogs and one count of engaging in or promoting dogfighting.

Falcons spokesman Reggie Roberts said the team had no comments on the new charges.

The case began in late April when authorities conducting a drug investigation of Vick's cousin raided the former Virginia Tech star's property and seized dozens of dogs, most of them pit bulls, and equipment commonly associated with dogfighting.

Six weeks later, with the local investigation perceived to be dragging and a local search warrant allowed to expire, federal agents arrived with their own search warrants and started digging up dog carcasses buried days before the first raid.

Poindexter, widely criticized for the pace of the investigation, reacted angrily when the feds moved in, suggesting that Vick's celebrity was a draw, or that their pursuit of the case could have racial overtones. He later eased off those comments, saying the sides would simply be pursuing parallel investigations.

Vick has been indefinitely suspended without pay by the NFL and been dropped by all his major sponsors, including Nike.

What a joke that "ESPN Town Meeting" special on Michael Vick was last night. I stumbled across it, watched like five minutes, and shut it off in disgust. It was like a Michael Vick pep rally.

More fabulous programming by the Worldwide Leader in Sports...

DaveC said:

:hmm:

I was going to disagree, but then I remembered where my favourite teams play... :wink:

ETA: I wish I didn't have to root for the Nationals and the Giants. :slant:

What does ETA mean here?

I thought it meant Estimated Time of Arrival. Someone please enlighten me.

phanan said:
What a joke that "ESPN Town Meeting" special on Michael Vick was last night. I stumbled across it, watched like five minutes, and shut it off in disgust. It was like a Michael Vick pep rally.

And I love how no one is really bringing up the fact that Pointdexter has failed to indict Vick on the Animal Cruelty charges.

It's all a joke.

That Town Meeting was just brutal to watch. And they wonder why the race card gets played.

Special conditions placed on Vick after positive marijuana test

By Kelly Naqi
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: September 26, 2007, 1:04 PM ET

A urine sample submitted by Michael Vick has tested positive for marijuana, and as a result he'll have tighter restrictions on his freedom.

The test was taken on Sept. 13. Because of the positive test, federal court probation officer Patricia Locket-Ross, who is assigned to Vick, asked Judge Henry Hudson to place special conditions on Vick's release, which include refraining from use or unlawful possession of a narcotic drug or other controlled substance.

Also, Vick must submit to any method of testing at any time.

Methods of testing could include urine testing, the wearing of a "sweat patch," a remote alcohol testing system and/or any form of prohibited substance screening or testing.

Vick must also participate in a program of inpatient or outpatient substance therapy and mental health counseling if the pretrial services officer or supervising officer deem it appropriate.

Vick is also now restricted to his residence every day from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. or as directed by the pretrial services officer. The home confinement will include electronic monitoring.

Vick pleaded guilty in August to a federal dogfighting charge. He is set to be sentenced on Dec. 10.

On Tuesday, he was indicted by a grand jury in Surry County, Va., on state dogfighting charges.

:laugh:

Good thing I don't play in the NFL... :shifty::shh:

phanan said:

Yeah, I saw it too and felt the same way. I heard that they booed the guy from The Humaine Society. Lovely. How low do you have to go to boo The Humaine Society?

And then when they asked the audience to clap if they felt dogfighting was or was not a serious crime, the "was not" crowd was louder. :huh:

The full length story ...

Judge Has Vick on Curfew After Drug Test
By KRISTEN GELINEAU, Associated Press Writer
2 hours ago

RICHMOND, Va. - A federal judge placed tighter restrictions on Michael Vick on Wednesday after the Atlanta Falcons quarterback tested positive for marijuana.

Because of the result, U.S. District Judge Henry Hudson placed special conditions on Vick's release, including restricting him to his home between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. with electronic monitoring and ordering him to submit to random drug testing.

The urine sample was submitted Sept. 13, according to a document by a federal probation officer that was filed in U.S. District Court on Wednesday.

Vick, who has admitted bankrolling a dogfighting operation on property he owns in Surry County in his written federal plea, is scheduled for sentencing Dec. 10. He faces up to five years in prison.

Because Vick violated the conditions of his release, Hudson could take that into consideration during sentencing, said Linda Malone, a criminal procedure expert and Marshall-Wythe Foundation professor of law at the College of William and Mary.

"Every judge considers pretty seriously if they feel that the defendant has flaunted the conditions for release," Malone said.

"It's certainly not a smart thing to do."

On Tuesday, Vick also was indicted on state charges of beating or killing or causing dogs to fight other dogs and engaging in or promoting dogfighting. Each felony is punishable by up to five years in prison.

The 27-year-old former Virginia Tech star was placed under pretrial release supervision by U.S. Magistrate Dennis Dohnal in July. The restrictions included refraining from use or unlawful possession of narcotic drugs or other controlled substances.

The random drug testing ordered Wednesday could include urine testing, the wearing of a sweat patch, a remote alcohol testing system or any form of prohibited substance screening or testing.

Hudson's order also requires Vick to participate in inpatient or outpatient substance therapy and mental health counseling, if the pretrial services officer or supervising officer deem it appropriate. Vick must pay for the treatment.

Vick's attorney, Billy Martin, also represents Idaho Sen. Larry Craig, who pleaded guilty in an airport sex sting.

During a press conference about Craig on Wednesday, Martin was asked to comment on Vick. He declined, saying only, "I'm sure that in the future we'll have something to say regarding Mr. Vick, but not now."

In January, Vick was cleared by police of any wrongdoing after his water bottle was seized by security at Miami International Airport. Police said it smelled of marijuana and had a hidden compartment that contained a "small amount of dark particulate."

Lab tests found no evidence of drugs, and Vick explained that he used the secret compartment to carry jewelry.

The federal dogfighting case began in late April when authorities conducting a drug investigation of Vick's cousin raided the property and seized dozens of dogs, most of them pit bulls, and equipment commonly associated with dogfighting.

Six weeks later, when the local investigation seemed to be dragging and a local search warrant was allowed to expire, federal agents arrived with their own warrants and started digging up dog carcasses buried days before the first raid.

Vick has admitted helping kill six to eight dogs, among other things. His three co-defendants also have pleaded guilty. One of them, Quanis Phillips, failed a drug test and was ordered jailed after his plea.

Phillips and co-defendants Tony Taylor and Purnell Peace were placed on electronic monitoring at the time of their arraignments because they had prior criminal records.

Vick had no prior criminal record, so monitoring is the next step for him, the U.S. Attorney's Office said. Another failed drug test likely would land him in jail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom