NFL 2007, Part One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tpsreports2424 said:

He played so bad that night, he would of been a better defenseman then QB..

Peyton didn't have that great of a game either, but if rex only played decent I would think we could of won...

I'm not saying the offense played stellar but I know it wasn't Rex who let Rhodes and Addai rush for almost 200 yds.

If the defense would have only played decent maybe the Bear could have won.

Ron Rivera isn't back this year. . .

WildHoneyAlways said:

I'm not saying the offense played stellar but I know it wasn't Rex who let Rhodes and Addai rush for almost 200 yds.

If the defense would have only played decent maybe the Bear could have won.

Ron Rivera isn't back this year. . .

I thought the Bears' inability to put together sustained drives led to their defense wearing down a lot later in the game.

The defense started to wear down early in the 2nd quarter. They really missed Tommie Harris. But, it's over. Tommie Harris is back as well as Mike Brown. I can only hope they stay healthy this season.

Losing Tommy Harris and their Safety Brown (isn't he hurt every year?) really hurt the Bears defense last year.

They say the best way to attack the Tampa 2 scheme is to run right at it, which the Colts did. Having Harris in there might have negated quite a bit of yardage for the Colts.

Of course, having Harris in there might mean we're still playing the game today, as neither team appeared willing to pull away with the win (until the late turnovers).

I will cut Grossman some slack since it was the first time in his career he's been able to stay healthy. Will he get better? It's up to him. He throws a real pretty deep ball, but he needs to learn to check down more or just take the sack when things break down in the pocket.

At least he was given the freedom to throw the ball. When Kyle Orton was running the offense, it was one of the most painful things to watch.

atlantafalcons.jpg

Hey guys....

I just picked up this cute Falcons jersey for my dog!

Titans try to stop Pacman from wrestling

Associated Press
8/10/2007 6:10:10 PM

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - The Tennessee Titans got a court order Friday that prohibits suspended cornerback Adam (Pacman) Jones from participating in wrestling.

Jones was scheduled to make his debut with Total Nonstop Action Wrestling on Sunday in a pay-per-view event titled "Hard Justice."

Citing its contract with Jones, the team said it asked a Tennessee court to intervene in order "to protect our rights in this instance."

"All NFL players have language in their contracts that prohibit them from engaging in activities 'which may involve a significant risk of personal injury,"' said a statement from team spokesman Robbie Bohren. "We certainly believe wrestling to be hazardous, and it is obvious from the player's conduct that he is ignoring this aspect of his agreements with the club."

The court clerk's office in Williamson County, where the Titans filed their petition, confirmed a judge granted the Titans' request and said the documents would be available later Friday.

The Titans cornerback was suspended by the NFL for a year because of several legal scrapes since being drafted in 2005.

Worrick Robinson, an attorney for Jones, didn't immediately return a phone call seeking comment. Jones' agent, Michael Huyghue, said he couldn't comment until later in the day. TNA Wrestling declined to comment.

On Thursday, Jones teased his TNA appearance with an interview on ESPN2's "First Take," and defended his decision to wrestle.

"I don't know what you all want me to do. Just sit in the house and be miserable all day?" he said. "I can't do that. I have to keep my spirits up high. I have a whole family to take care of."

Jones' latest legal problem emerged just hours after he resolved one of his least serious issues when a judge dismissed three traffic citations.

He got the traffic citations June 10 when his orange Lamborghini sports car was pulled over because the tags did not match the vehicle.

Sheriff's deputies alleged Jones had switched the plate from another vehicle he owns. He was cited with a registration violation, as well as a residency violation for having a Georgia license and failure to show proof of insurance.

Robinson said the charges were dismissed because authorities had incorrect information about the registration and license.

Jones still faces felony coercion charges in connection with a Feb. 19 fight and triple-shooting at a Las Vegas strip club. And he faces a felony charge of obstruction stemming from a physical altercation in February 2006 with an officer on patrol in Fayetteville, Ga., but no trial date has been set.

Besides the pending felony charges, a misdemeanour count against Jones stemming from an August 2006 nightclub altercation also could be revived, pending the outcome of the Vegas case.

zonelistener said:
atlantafalcons.jpg

Hey guys....

I just picked up this cute Falcons jersey for my dog!

Leonard Little is afree man, missed 8 games, and is still in the league

Vick may miss an entire season and actually get more jail time than Little

While what Vick has allegedly done is deplorable (if guilty), it doesn't hold a candle to Little.

Little's story is one of the worst I've ever read from a professional player standpoint.

Guy goes out and gets blitzed (no pun). Gets in a car, and slams into a lady, killing her. Husband and rest of family ( think maybe the husband especially) really suffer the loss.

Little gets off the hook, and is allowed to play in NFL. He's had a fairly successful career (winning a Super Bowl, and Pro Bowl honors).

Few years after the incident above, Little gets pulled over for DWI/DUI. Again, he's let off the hook.

Rick Rielly of Sports Illustrated had a great column last year or a year ago covering the husband and what he was going through after the loss. Also wrote about what the guy went through when he heard that Little was pulled over again.

It's really too bad that this man is allowed to play this game. I do agree with the above post. What Vick did is absolutely horrible, and he shouldn't be allowed in the game again. Unfortunately, we didn't have a Commish like Goodell, or a perception of a league full of crimials in the mid to late 90s, so Little is allowed to play cause he hasn't done too much wrong since.

BEAL said:

It's really too bad that this man is allowed to play this game. I do agree with the above post. What Vick did is absolutely horrible, and he shouldn't be allowed in the game again. Unfortunately, we didn't have a Commish like Goodell, or a perception of a league full of crimials in the mid to late 90s, so Little is allowed to play cause he hasn't done too much wrong since.

Goodell is the best thing to happen to the NFL in years. His action might seem a bit much at times but he is drawing a line in the sand. The NFL has been getting closer to gaining the "thug" image of the NBA. Goodell is pulling the NFL away from that. Leonard Little is a lucky man to have been a murderer in a different era.

He has to. The league has taken a beating the past 2-3 years with the Bengals and PacMan.

The NFL is starting to share more and more in common with the NBA. Both leagues have one conference that is a power. The NFC has some good teams, but a lot of those teams wouldn't have made the playoffs in the AFC.

Just seems that in both leagues, the power conference has just done a better job of player evaluations over the past few years.

Ugh, the latest alleged details about Vick and his two cohorts executing dogs by drowning and hanging in the woods are sickening, if true.

Last edited:
Sources: Prosecutors offering Vick 18-36 months if he takes dog fighting plea

(CNN) -- Federal prosecutors have offered a plea deal recommending an 18- to 36-month prison sentence for suspended NFL quarterback Michael Vick for his alleged role in a dogfighting operation, but Vick's attorneys are trying to reduce that to less than a year, two sources told CNN on Monday.

Vick's attorneys hope to hear back from National Football League Commissioner Roger Goodell's office sometime Monday about Vick's career options before entering into any deal with federal prosecutors, the sources said.

Vick's three codefendants in the dogfighting case have accepted agreements to plead guilty in exchange for reduced sentences.

If Vick doesn't accept a deal, he could face additional charges in the case on Monday, when a grand jury convenes in Richmond, Virginia.

The NFL is considering what, if any, sanctions they should impose on the 27-year-old suspended Atlanta Falcons player.

Court documents released last week showed that two of Vick's alleged partners said he helped kill dogs that didn't fight well, and that all three men "executed approximately eight dogs" in ways that included hanging and drowning.

The dogs were killed because they fared poorly in "testing" sessions in April at Vick's property in Virginia where the dogfighting venture was based, according to documents released following plea agreement hearings Friday for Purnell Peace, 35, of Virginia Beach, and Quanis Phillips, 28, of Atlanta.

A third man, Tony Taylor, 34, of Hampton, Virginia, already had his plea deal approved.

In the court documents, Peace and Phillips said that the money behind the Bad Newz Kennels dogfighting operation came "almost exclusively" from Vick, and they told prosecutors that other accusations in the 18-page indictment are true.

ESPN is reporting Michael Vick has plead guilty. :up:

Vick agrees to plead guilty in dogfighting case

RICHMOND, Va. -- Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick accepted a plea deal Monday and lengthy prison sentence to avoid additional federal charges in a dogfighting case that has driven his NFL career to a halt.

"After consulting with his family over the weekend, Michael Vick has asked that I announce today that he has reached an agreement with federal prosecutors regarding charges pending against him," Vick attorney Billy Martin said in a statement.

"Mr. Vick has agreed to enter a plea of guilty to those charges and to accept full responsibility for his actions and the mistakes he has made. Michael wishes to apologize again to everyone who has been hurt by this matter.

All three of Vick's co-defendants have reached plea deals in the case. Vick had been facing a Nov. 26 trial date.

It's also sounding likely that his suspension from the league will not start until after he serves his sentence. So it would probably mean 2010 that he's able to rejoin a team

IF a team would want him.

BEAL said:
It's also sounding likely that his suspension from the league will not start until after he serves his sentence. So it would probably mean 2010 that he's able to rejoin a team

IF a team would want him.

I can't see any story arc that brings him back to the NFL. His reputation is shot.

That LaDanian Tomlinson trade just gets better and better by the day

According to ESPN, the terms of the agreement won't be announced until Aug 27; the day after his trial would have started.

It will be interesting to see how Goodell hands down the suspension.

If you listen closely you'll hear the sound of a NFL career going down the down the drain...

phanan said:
I'm curious if his lawyers were able to get the prison term down to only a year.

Hopefully the prosecution held firm.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/08/20/vick/index.html

Vick's attorneys have been negotiating with federal prosecutors over terms of the deal, which must be approved by the judge. While prosecutors can recommend a sentence, the decision ultimately rests with the judge.

I think I've read that this is a particularly tough judge.

I think if he never pleaded guilty, he would of been innocent... I mean look...

Michael Jackson was on 17 charges, 17 CHARGES!, and he was found innocent for raping children.

Kobe was charged for rape, hes innocent..

OJ Simpson got charges for murdering his whole family, and tried to escape on his court date!!! and was found innocent..

If he didnt plead guilty, there would of been a 5% chance he would of been guilty..

tpsreports2424 said:
He will be in there for AT LEAST 2 years, and thats at minimum

Well, the previous CNN story quoted above by BonoManiac suggests that the prosecution was looking at a 18-24 months prison term, with Vick's lawyers trying to bring that down a bit. It's quite likely the term will be less than two years.

The other part of this is the gambling, which in the NFL is a lifetime ban.

Mark Cuban will be welcoming Vick to his new league in a few years...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom