NFL 2007 Part 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have relatively neutral feelings towards LaDanian, but it always struck me as odd, and a touch unfair, that he refuses to play any pre-season games, presumably because he's "saving" himself for the regular season.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
and lastly, the fact remains that tomlinson took himself out of the game after 2 plays. philip rivers played the entire game on NO acl, tomlinson took himself out after two plays because of a sprained mcl.

The fact you compare a sprained MCl on a runningback to a no ACL on a quarterback demonstrates your lack of knowledge on the subject. IF you were comparing a dislocated shoulder on a quarterback, and a sprained MCL on a runningback, that would be a fair comparison. Otherwise, the comaparison makes no sense.

Why would a gimpy runningback who is not able to cut or run want to keep himself in a game when he knows his backup averages about 5 yards per carry??? To me, that would be the epitome of selfishness and lack of leadership. Although you may not want to recognize it, LT did what was best for the Chargers, given the circumstances.

Kinsa said:

The fact you compare a sprained MCl on a runningback to a no ACL on a quarterback demonstrates your lack of knowledge on the subject. IF you were comparing a dislocated shoulder on a quarterback, and a sprained MCL on a runningback, that would be a fair comparison. Otherwise, the comaparison makes no sense.

Why would a gimpy runningback who is not able to cut or run want to keep himself in a game when he knows his backup averages about 5 yards per carry??? To me, that would be the epitome of selfishness and lack of leadership. Although you may not want to recognize it, LT did what was best for the Chargers, given the circumstances.

in fact i can distinctly remember emmitt smith destroying the giants in giants stadium with a pulled hamstring and a severly separated shoulder. "gimmie the ball till i drop" was the quote, i do believe.

you do realize that quarterbacks need to be able to push off on their legs in order to throw the ball, yes?

and while we're at it, ever had a sprained mcl, per chance?

you do realize that quarterbacks need to be able to push off on their legs in order to throw the ball, yes?

and while we're at it, ever had a sprained mcl, per chance?

No, I'm obviously stupid, I didn't realize quarterbacks use their legs. Thanks for the update. :wink:

Just curious, you honestly think comparing a leg injury of a runningback and a leg injury of a quarterback is a fair or even relevant comparison?

no matter what answer i give to that question, you're still ignoring the emmitt smith reference.

depending on the scope of the injury, yes... it can be just as relevant. if a QB can't plant his leg to throw, he's not going to be effective. at all.

check out carson palmer and donovan mcnabb... they've both been hurt significantly months after injuring their knees. it throws off their technique, 'causing a loss of "zip" on the ball, and the ball tends to float on the thrower.

no matter what answer i give to that question, you're still ignoring the emmitt smith reference.

depending on the scope of the injury, yes... it can be just as relevant. if a QB can't plant his leg to throw, he's not going to be effective. at all.

check out carson palmer and donovan mcnabb... they've both been hurt significantly months after injuring their knees. it throws off their technique, 'causing a loss of "zip" on the ball, and the ball tends to float on the thrower.

I'm not ignoring the Emmitt Smith quote - what do you want me to say - good for him? OK, good for him! Did he have the same injury as LT? No? Then how is it relevant??

I would say that the reason Tomlinson is getting heat over this is because of the perception leading up to the game. The public was led to believe that he was 100% healed before the game. Hell, he wasn't even on the injury report on Friday. When I see that, I think that he is fully healed. They would certainly know if that was really the case or not. If he wasn't at 100%, don't mislead the media and public, because it will come back to bite you in the ass. I guess the Charger organization can be as much at fault for that as Tomlinson, but he will still get some of the blame, and rightfully so.

With Rivers, while we didn't know everything beforehand, it was still quite obvious that he was not going to be at 100%, and he was able to play through that, which is why he was lauded for playing.

phanan said:
I would say that the reason Tomlinson is getting heat over this is because of the perception leading up to the game. The public was led to believe that he was 100% healed before the game. Hell, he wasn't even on the injury report on Friday. When I see that, I think that he is fully healed. They would certainly know if that was really the case or not. If he wasn't at 100%, don't mislead the media and public, because it will come back to bite you in the ass. I guess the Charger organization can be as much at fault for that as Tomlinson, but he will still get some of the blame, and rightfully so.

With Rivers, while we didn't know everything beforehand, it was still quite obvious that he was not going to be at 100%, and he was able to play through that, which is why he was lauded for playing.

I'm not sure where you got the 100% healed from - he only practiced on Thursday and the short pratice Friday. He stated he felt he was 90%, and that he would play. He hadn't taken a hit up until that point. He played, just as he said he would. Once he got in the game, he got hit on the injury and could not play effectively.

I don't know about the injury reports, etc - if you know someone is going to start, even if you don't know what will happen once they get in the game (does anyone really know what will happen with any player once they get in the game?), then should they be on the injury reprt? If so, then he should have been on the injury report. That's a management error, not LTs.

I think the "misleading the public and the media" abot his injury is innacurate - based on a super quick search, here is what was said on Thursday and Friday -

http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsess...0d5d806103a6&template=with-video&confirm=true

LT clearly stated that he felt fine, but until he got hit, there was no way for him to know if he could play the full game -

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/01/19/sports/professional/chargers/23_40_351_18_08.txt

Trust me, as a Chargers fan, after this weekend, don't you think I understand that a leg injury effects a quarterback's play?? Rivers had a good game, considering all he was up against, but clearly it effected his play. The difference is, even with a leg injury he was able to play, because he was not getting hit every single play (actually he wasn't hit much at all), he didn't have to move around too much (not that that is much different than he usually plays - Vince Young, Rivers ain't), and his main tool, his arm, was fine.

You are still trying to equate a runningback's leg injury, a position that requires the player to cut, stop short, jerk around, be tackled, on the ligament that is critical to the stability to the knee joint, to a quarterback's leg injury? OK. :huh:

Kinsa said:

PUHLEASE.:rolleyes: This cracks me up. I know its porpular for Pats fans to refuse to call him LT, but those are HIS INITIALS, its not like he went out and created a nickname for himself based on some other player. And its not like his name is Luke Taylor, which is easy to pronounce, and thus, no need to shorten it, the man has a tounge twister of a name.

Lawrence Taylor himself has no problem with it, so why is it even an issue?

Calm down.

LdT on the sidelines on Sunday reminded me of Nomar sitting in the dugout during the Jeter faceplant game while the rest of his team was on the top step.

Kinsa said:

Huh? Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I'm not calm. :huh:

Yeah, it's not that you're disagreeing. In fact, I just stated my opinion once and left the "conversation" behind. I think I can sort of tell from your histrionics how you feel. I get it.

I'm suggesting you calm down, well, because you're not calm. That's how that works. No need to foam at the mouth because a few people question Ladanian Tomlinson's leadership skills, or lack thereof.

phillyfan26 said:

That's true.

That fact that you're overreacting means you're not calm.

What is the overreacting? Because I "dare" to challenge things that have been said, or don't agree with the constant bashing of certain players? :scratch: If you all don't want opposing viewpoints, that's one thing. But to tell me to calm down or that I'm overreacting (to what?) just because I don't agree with certain things that have been posted is weak.

Kinsa said:

I'm not sure where you got the 100% healed from - he only practiced on Thursday and the short pratice Friday. He stated he felt he was 90%, and that he would play. He hadn't taken a hit up until that point. He played, just as he said he would. Once he got in the game, he got hit on the injury and could not play effectively.

I don't know about the injury reports, etc - if you know someone is going to start, even if you don't know what will happen once they get in the game (does anyone really know what will happen with any player once they get in the game?), then should they be on the injury reprt? If so, then he should have been on the injury report. That's a management error, not LTs.

I think the "misleading the public and the media" abot his injury is innacurate - based on a super quick search, here is what was said on Thursday and Friday -

http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsess...0d5d806103a6&template=with-video&confirm=true

LT clearly stated that he felt fine, but until he got hit, there was no way for him to know if he could play the full game -

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/01/19/sports/professional/chargers/23_40_351_18_08.txt

The way the injury reports work is, if a player is not listed on the last one before a game, he is essentially considered 100% healthy, meaning that whatever injury he had was healed. Not 90%, not 80%. Healed. Meaning it is no longer a factor. He was removed from that report on Friday.

The fact that he was in for only three plays indicates that the injury never went away, and he and the Chargers should have acted accordingly before activating him for the game. He obviously didn't go through a full pads practice and get hit before the game, or else they would have realized that he was not fully recovered. If he was held out of such a practice, he should have never been taken off the injury report. Plain and simple.

Now if he did go through such a practice and deemed himself ready to play, and then gets hit in the game and decides he can't play, you can see where the criticism is coming from. If he was able to handle it in practice, why wouldn't he be able to in the game?

I'm merely pointing out that such inaccuracies do not cast him in a favorable light.

Kinsa said:

What is the overreacting? Because I "dare" to challenge things that have been said, or don't agree with the constant bashing of certain players? :scratch: If you all don't want opposing viewpoints, that's one thing. But to tell me to calm down or that I'm overreacting (to what?) just because I don't agree with certain things that have been posted is weak.

Well, again, I'm telling you to calm down not because you disagree, but because you're overreacting. It's fairly simple.

No, it's because you're ranting and ranting, capitalizing, punctuating, over-stating ... do I have to spell it out for you?

It's got nothing to do with your opinions. It's got to do with how you're presenting them.

I intend to address your opinions as well, but that's nothing to do with what I'm telling you.

Also, you said his injury clearly "effected" his play. It should be "affected." Effected would imply that his play was brought about by his injury, when in fact, his injury made an impact on his play, his play already existing. Thus, affected.

phillyfan26 said:
Also, you said his injury clearly "effected" his play. It should be "affected." Effected would imply that his play was brought about by his injury, when in fact, his injury made an impact on his play, his play already existing. Thus, affected.

Three cheers for AP English. We're coming for you, China!

No spoken words said:

Yeah, it's not that you're disagreeing. In fact, I just stated my opinion once and left the "conversation" behind. I think I can sort of tell from your histrionics how you feel. I get it.

I'm suggesting you calm down, well, because you're not calm. That's how that works. No need to foam at the mouth because a few people question Ladanian Tomlinson's leadership skills, or lack thereof.

My bad. I didn't realize that what others have to say is fine, calm and rational, but my posts are apparently full of "histrionics". I understand completely now. Thanks! :happy:

I'm done with this thread, what is the point, since my posts are completely useless, hysterical, and full of bad grammar. Last I checked, this was a bulletin board, not the AP English test. Now I remember why I stopped posting over here last football season!

Last edited:
Kinsa said:
The difference is, even with a leg injury he was able to play, because he was not getting hit every single play (actually he wasn't hit much at all), he didn't have to move around too much (not that that is much different than he usually plays - Vince Young, Rivers ain't), and his main tool, his arm, was fine.

Legs are about equal in importance when it comes to throwing, so dubbing his arm the "main tool" does not do the impact of the legs on a throw justice.

Kinsa said:
Then how is it relevant??

Kinsa said:
Play as a RUNNINGback on a sprained MCL???

Kinsa said:
he should have been a cheerleader??

WHO CARES.

Kinsa said:
PUHLEASE.:rolleyes:

I know its porpular for Pats fans to refuse to call him LT, but those are HIS INITIALS, its not like he went out and created a nickname for himself based on some other player.

But you're calm right?

Kinsa said:

My bad. I didn't realize that what others have to say is fine, calm and rational, but my posts are apparently full of "histrionics". I understand completely now. Thanks! :happy:

I'm done with this thread, what is the point, since my posts are completely useless, hysterical, and full of bad grammar. Last I checked, this was a bulletin board, not the AP English test. Now I remember why I stopped posting over here last football season!

Just like Fake LT. Sad times.

phanan said:

The way the injury reports work is, if a player is not listed on the last one before a game, he is essentially considered 100% healthy, meaning that whatever injury he had was healed. Not 90%, not 80%. Healed. Meaning it is no longer a factor. He was removed from that report on Friday.

The fact that he was in for only three plays indicates that the injury never went away, and he and the Chargers should have acted accordingly before activating him for the game. He obviously didn't go through a full pads practice and get hit before the game, or else they would have realized that he was not fully recovered. If he was held out of such a practice, he should have never been taken off the injury report. Plain and simple.

Now if he did go through such a practice and deemed himself ready to play, and then gets hit in the game and decides he can't play, you can see where the criticism is coming from. If he was able to handle it in practice, why wouldn't he be able to in the game?

I'm merely pointing out that such inaccuracies do not cast him in a favorable light.

Phanan, I did want to say (before I make my exit from this thread :p ) thanks for this explanation. I've never understood how the injury reports worked, this was helpful. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom