NFL 2007 Part 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
randhail said:
I have my doubts about this because it's not mentioned anywhere but profootballtalk. One would think that the media would have run with this.

It's all over boston.com now as Moss held a press conference, so expect it in all the usual places soon enough.

At first glance, the story sounds a bit fishy to me, but you never know with such things.

DaveC said:
The Dolphins have a new coach, Cowboys ass. Tony Sparano.

I know, "who?" was my first reaction, too. :shrug:

LOLZ Jason Garrett is on his way out too along with a couple of their assistants. :lol: Dallas is royally screwed.

:drool: This is one hell of a week for all NFC East teams not named Dallas

Redskins fans get to enjoy watching Dallas fall apart, new coach soon to be named

Giants fans are on pins and needles waiting for their team to potentially reach the super bowl

And the Eagles...well...They'll probably be a lot better next year :wink:

Eagles fans get to watch Dallas fall apart (coaching and on the field), Washington lose their coach, and the Giants get blown right the fuck out of Lambeau Field. I predict 6 interceptions and 3 fumbles for Eli. :yes:

Moss denies battery allegations

Patriots receiver claims woman is trying to get money

Posted: Wednesday January 16, 2008 1:22PM; Updated: Wednesday January 16, 2008 1:31PM

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP) -- Randy Moss said Wednesday that allegations he committed battery against a woman are false and that she made the claim to get money from him.

"I want to make something clear," the Patriots wide receiver said while surrounded by reporters and cameras at his locker. "In my whole entire life of living 30 years, I've never put my hand on one woman, physically or in an angry manner."

Florida radio station WDBO reported that a woman filed for an order of protection against Moss, alleging he committed battery against her. The report said a temporary injunction was issued, barring Moss from coming within 500 feet of the woman and from using or possessing firearms.

Moss gave no details of the alleged incident, saying he was restricted by the legal case.

He said the woman was a friend of 11 years and that she asked for "six figures" for what Moss said was an accident in which she was hurt.

"They're false allegations, something I've been battling for like the last couple of days of threats going public if I didn't pay X amount of dollars," Moss said. "So before people rush quick to judgment I think you need to find out the facts about, really, what's going on.

"This young lady by no means is hurt. I didn't hurt her."

New England plays the San Diego Chargers in the AFC championship game in Foxborough on Sunday.

Moss, who set an NFL record with 23 touchdown catches this season, said he spoke with coach Bill Belichick about the matter. Moss spoke to about 30 reporters in the locker room after Belichick's regular news conference at which the coach wasn't asked about it.

Moss has avoided off-field problems this season and has been hailed by other Patriots players as an excellent teammate and leader. In his previous nine seasons -- seven with Minnesota and two with Oakland -- he was involved several incidents.

With Minnesota, he was criticized by quarterback Daunte Culpepper and others for leaving the field with 2 seconds left in a regular-season loss to Washington. He bumped a traffic control officer with his car in 2002, verbally abused corporate sponsors on a team bus in 2001 and squirted an official with a water bottle in 1999.

He strongly denied the latest allegations, breaking his usual midweek silence.

"It's very unfair to athletes if a person makes a false claim. You know, there's nothing that we can do," Moss said. "The only thing that we can do is either pay up or sit back and listen to what's being said or what's being written.

"For someone to make a false claim about me, I'm kind of furious," he said. "It kind of hurts me deep inside for someone to do something like that because, you know, I've always said time and time again, I'm going to stand up for what's right. If I'm right, I'm right. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong."

Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

LemonMelon said:

LOLZ Jason Garrett is on his way out too along with a couple of their assistants. :lol: Dallas is royally screwed.

We will find some one new. I am not worried.

I really hope this Moss business isn't true. Yeah it's Randy Moss and he's been involved in some questionable activity in the past, but none of it was Pacman Jones-type stuff like punching strippers etc. By all accounts the guy's been a model teammate and it's been fun cheering for the guy, I hope he's telling the truth and it's just a case of a golddigger going for some $$$. That apparently there's no criminal charges being filed supports Moss's side IMO.

Oh and isn't it cute how ESPN is trying to hype up the "Chargers talking shit" angle? I mean, other than Igor whatshisname I haven't heard anything...do people actually consider Shawne Merriman screwing up Jabar Gaffney's trash talk? I mean, I generally dislike the Chargers and consider them a bunch of whiny babies after their behavior last year when the Pats beat them, and even I'm not worked up over this.

capt9287990ff85e40d190f38a56962f4a0.jpg

My life is now officially complete.

CTU2fan said:

Oh and isn't it cute how ESPN is trying to hype up the "Chargers talking shit" angle? I mean, other than Igor whatshisname I haven't heard anything...do people actually consider Shawne Merriman screwing up Jabar Gaffney's trash talk? I mean, I generally dislike the Chargers and consider them a bunch of whiny babies after their behavior last year when the Pats beat them, and even I'm not worked up over this.

Yo. Igor Olshansky is awesome.

sniggirb said:
Pats are classless.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1066812

Patriots to honor young fan booed in Indianapolis
By Associated Press
Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - Added 1d 10h ago

FOXBORO - Patriots owner Robert Kraft sat behind his wide desk and marveled at how his team’s jersey could be the target of so many boos — even when it’s worn by a 14-year-old girl.

This wasn’t Randy Moss or Rodney Harrison hearing the catcalls. They’re used to it.

This was Anna Grant, a high school freshman who had worked hard to win the Punt, Pass & Kick competition in her age group as the team’s representative.

When she was introduced along with the other winners before the fourth quarter of San Diego’s playoff win last Sunday, she was the only one booed by the crowd in Indianapolis, home of New England’s fiercest rival.

"Why should a champion be booed?" the boss of the three-time Super Bowl winners said Tuesday. "She won an intensive competition. She’s supposed to be honored."

His team is getting the same reaction — not because of the spying incident in the season opener but because fans like to see teams at the top get knocked off, he said. If the Chargers can’t do it Sunday, New England will be headed to its fourth Super Bowl in seven seasons.

But first comes the coin flip before the AFC championship and Grant will be out on the field for that, invited by Kraft, who felt badly that she had been booed.

"What I decided is that we would honor her here before this game," Kraft said in an interview in his office filled with photos, footballs and other memorabilia. "We will recognize her as the winner on the field. Our fans will know."

Grant returned from school Tuesday and heard a phone message from Andre Tippett, the Patriots’ executive director of community affairs and a former star linebacker.

She called back and was ecstatic when Tippett extended the invitation — plus tickets for her, her parents and two brothers — to take part.

"I was just in shock," she said.

Kraft knows the hoots were not directed at the high school freshman from Stratham, N.H., about 20 miles north of the Massachusetts border. It’s just that the jersey provokes an instant response, usually a negative one.

Grant also understands, and even smiled when she heard the boos.

"Before I went down there, my friends said, ’You know, you’ll probably get booed,’" she said in a telephone interview. "I was kind of waiting for it.

"It really didn’t bother me at all," she added. "People at the game came up to me afterward and said, ’It’s not you. It’s your jersey.’"

It wasn’t always that way.

When Adam Vinatieri’s last-play field goal gave the Patriots their first championship as huge underdogs to the St. Louis Rams after the 2001 season, red, white and blue confetti — not boos — poured down in the Louisiana Superdome.

It came less than five months after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

"I remember saying when I hoisted the (championship) trophy, ’We are all Patriots and tonight the Patriots are world champions,’" Kraft said. "We were the underdogs. No one expected (it). Now what’s happened is, we’ve had a modicum of success.

"I noticed it with the second title that we went after. Already people had switched and I think people outside of New England want to see different (winners). It’s sort of like the Yankees. There was a resentment, but a respect for the Yankees."

The Yankees have declined since their dominance of the late 90s. The Patriots are better than ever, perhaps the best team in NFL history.

"Jealousy and envy comes in the more you win and people say, ’Give someone else a chance and let someone else do it,’" Kraft said. "I understand that."

It’s better than the alternative.

Before he bought the team in January 1994, the Patriots had missed the playoffs for the previous seven seasons. In just his third year, they were in the Super Bowl — losing to Green Bay in the same building where they would win their first title five years later.

At least fans care now, even if they boo.

"I see it as sort of respect in a way," Kraft said. "I think 15 years ago, 18 years ago, someone could have worn our jersey and I just think there would have been no reaction."

Grant plans to wear some Patriots apparel again Sunday, probably a hat. The reaction will be much warmer.

"In a way, the fact that this young lady was booed is a compliment to the New England Patriots fans because we’re relevant," Kraft said. "And, we’re good."

Do you boo her when you see her walking into McDonald's?

(After all you are a Pats fan and by some people's assumptions must be classless by association)

I want to rip Bob Kraft a new asshole right now (with his own words), but unfortunately I've got to go to work.

And Headache's 110% right.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
to be fair, i'd love to see the reaction of a similar child walking in to recieve an award at Gillette Stadium and/or Fenway Park decked out in Yankees gear.

i'm sure she would have gotten a standing ovation for her accomplsihments.
No doubt, in fact when it happened I chuckled and said to myself that the polite midwesterners could now move to the east coast and fit in.

My point is that those who throw lightning bolts should be careful cause "classlessness" exists with fans and players of every team.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
to be fair, i'd love to see the reaction of a similar child walking in to recieve an award at Gillette Stadium and/or Fenway Park decked out in Yankees gear.

i'm sure she would have gotten a standing ovation for her accomplsihments.

I had lots of profanities thrown my way when I went to Gillette Stadium in September as I wore an LT jersey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom