NFL 2007 Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thetitans2k said:
Colts win. Peyton>Brady. Take that Kornheiser.

Uhno.

Peyton is awesome though. He's a brilliant QB. I love Jason Campbell, and I think he has tons of potential, but if Snyder got high enough and signed Manning, I'd accept him with open arms. :wink:

thetitans2k said:
Colts win. Peyton>Brady. Take that Kornheiser.

i'm not a peyton hater by any stretch. i think the guy's amazing, and i believe that when it's all said and done we're going to look back on this period of time with awe because we just might be watching the two greatest quarterbacks of all time (which is debatable, of course).

but brady's better. he's never had the weapons manning has and has always had more success team wise, just not the stats. now he has weapons and look what he's doing. he's shattering peyton's marks. to say that peyton is second to tom brady is not an insult.

Thank you, Brady has always been cool under pressure and an excellent leader on an under dog offense, now he has the team to back him up, and looks better not only while watching him but the stats on paper too. The Pats have had a well coached offense for these years but no stellar talent, their defense is what carried them.

powerhour24 said:
Thank you, Brady has always been cool under pressure and an excellent leader on an under dog offense, now he has the team to back him up, and looks better not only while watching him but the stats on paper too. The Pats have had a well coached offense for these years but no stellar talent, their defense is what carried them.

Wait...you mean Reche Caldwell wasn't stellar talent?

Tom Brady's just unbelievable. I'm actually not that bitter about Philly losing the Super Bowl just because of him.

But I'm still bitter. :shakesfistatmcnabbandreid:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
he's never had the weapons manning has and has always had more success team wise, just not the stats. now he has weapons and look what he's doing. he's shattering peyton's marks. to say that peyton is second to tom brady is not an insult.

Brady gets the job done. Brady's defense has always gotten the job done - which makes Brady's team overall better...but it doesn't make Brady better.

I like Tom Brady...but I think Manning has a better "football mind" than Brady. They have both had excellent teams surrounding them for most of their career. In my eyes, the Patriots were a team on the verge of greatness when he took over. Manning had a team built around him and suffered through a few bad seasons before performing well as a team.

If you take them both and put them in a BAD organization, I feel Peyton would succeed over Brady. Hopefully NEITHER of them have to go through that though.

powerhour24 said:

Under dog? No stellar talent?

You DO NOT win THREE Super Bowls as an underdog with no stellar talent.

Because these guys were not "stellar"

Caldwell (one "bad" game against the Colts)
Kevin Faulk
Deion Branch
Corey Dillon
Laurence Maroney

:eyebrow:

I know a lot of teams that would not mind having this "not so stellar" lineup.

^ I would say that prior to Randy Moss, and outside of Brady, the Patriots offense had no "superstar" talent.

The offense basically consisted of good to great players who bought into the team concept and who, as a unit, worked like a well-oiled machine. Take one of those players mentioned in the previous post and put them on another team and they wouldn't be as effective, whereas put Moss( his two seasons in Oakland notwithstanding) and Brady on another team and they have the ability to change the entire complexion of a game.

Corey Dillon had a GREAT career with the Bengals before coming to the Pats. Check his stats.

Deion Branch had a GREAT first season with the Seahawks, and is on track to have an equally as good season. These players succeeded in the Pats system, and have done the same in other systems. Caldwell will succeed when he finally plays. Maroney WOULD be a star on any other team.

Yes...Randy is a superstar, but do not discount players that had enough talent to bring home three super bowl trophies with a comment like "no stellar talent."

Well, I wasn't the one that used the comment "no stellar talent."

In my view stats aren't everything. My point was that while someone like Branch is and has had a good season with the Seahawks he isn't what you would call a "gamebreaker". That's all.

They're all great players, I agree, but they don't have the name recognition that a Brady or Moss have. But I guess that's just the way Bellichick wants it; no player should be above the team.

BonoManiac said:
Well, I wasn't the one that used the comment "no stellar talent."

You continue to defend it though!

My point: they were/are stellar players. The Pats had a "game breaker" in Brady (or are you minimalizing him?). And, they had a lot of stellar talent that would play as a team and win championships.

Is a game breaker like Randy needed? Although I felt differently, many thought that Randy could have done the opposite to the Patriots too!

zoney! said:

Deion Branch had a GREAT first season with the Seahawks,
Sorry Z, 53 catches for 725 yards and 4TDs is not a "GREAT" season for a WR.
Its an average to just below average season for a #2 receiver in today's NFL.
Certainly not worthy of superstar status or the money Seattle agreed to pony up for Branch.

His 22 catches and whopping 1 touchdown this year to date further reinforces the notion that he is not a top 10 or 20 NFL receiver, not a "superstar", just a good possession type receiver and the Pats were wise to get a 1st round pick for him, then trade a 4th round pick a year later to replace his production with Moss' production.

I think saying the Pats haven't had talented receivers is a bit unfair. Branch is a nice player, so is David Givens. Troy Brown is OK. But overall the receiving corps has never had a real elite talent on the level of the guys Peyton has had to throw to (Harrison, Wayne, even Stokeley). Brady has also never had a threat like Edgerrin James, at least not until Corey Dillon came on board.

Now this year, I think you could easily make a case that Brady's weapons are better than anything Peyton has ever had. Moss/Stallworth/Welker is as good a group as you could find out there...and so far Brady is putting up numbers similar (even better) than what Peyton has.

Bottom line, I think they're very close. Career-wise Peyton has had better #'s, and Brady has more rings. This reminds me of the old Bird vs. Magic arguments...you could make a case for either guy, but bottom line, both were great.

NFL owners consider Toronto proposal

Associated Press
10/23/2007 9:20:27 PM

PHILADELPHIA - The NFL moved to speed up its draft on Tuesday during owners' meetings at which it also discussed having the Buffalo Bills play regular season games in Toronto, expanding the reach of the NFL Network and moving the Pro Bowl.

No action was taken on any of those issues except the draft, in which the time between picks in the first round will be cut from 15 minutes to 10 to help speed up a process that went a record six hours eight minutes last April.

Starting time was also moved from noon ET to 3 p.m. for the first day, which will be limited to two rounds instead of three.

"We believe this will make for a more streamlined and efficient draft," commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement issued during the league owners' meetings.

The issue that could have the biggest impact, however, involves Buffalo's games in Toronto.

Owners considered a proposal that would have the Bills playing one home game per season there for the next five years to help the team expand its diminishing market in western New York into Canada's largest metropolitan area.

While the Bills have marketed in Canada for years, this would be the first time they played regular-season home-games there.

In addition, they would play exhibition games there in 2008, 2010 and 2012.

"It helps expand our market in Buffalo," team owner Ralph Wilson said. "It gives us a major metropolitan area to expand our base."

Two years ago, the San Francisco 49ers and Arizona Cardinals met in Mexico City in the first regular-season NFL game played outside the United States. This Sunday, the New York Giants and Miami Dolphins will meet in London in the second.

Goodell said at a news conference he thought the changes in the draft would go a long way to streamlining the process, which in recent years has become an endurance test.

There was also a change in the second round. It will be cut from 10 minutes to seven between choices for next year's draft, which will be held April 26-27 at Radio City Music Hall in New York.

In recent years, teams have often used most of the 15 minutes in the first round, entertaining trade offers or making them.

The time between picks will stay at five minutes for the last five rounds, which will take place on Sunday. That session will start at 10 a.m. instead of 11 as it has in the past. Both days will be televised by ESPN and the NFL Network.

During the meeting, Goodell reinforced his position that electronic spying will not be tolerated. In September, he fined New England coach Bill Belichick US$500,000 and the Patriots $250,000 after tapes of New York Jets defensive signals were confiscated from one of their employees on the sideline.

"I emphasized that it has a huge effect on the integrity of the game," he said.

On other issues:

-Goodell said owners still are considering changing the date and site of the Pro Bowl, although no vote was taken. The game, now played in Hawaii the week after the Super Bowl, could be changed to a site in the continental U.S. the week before the Super Bowl.

-The commissioner and Dallas owner Jerry Jones emphasized they are committed to the NFL Network even though a long-running dispute with three of the nation's biggest cable company has limited its reach to 35 million homes instead of the 50 million the league expected at this point.

The dispute has intensified since last season, when the network started showing late-season games. Jones, the chairman of the NFL Network committee, said he had been getting numerous calls from areas which will not be able to see the Cowboys' Nov. 29 game with Green Bay, a contest between two of the NFC's top teams, because the cable companies in their areas don't get the network.

-Goodell met with Dean Spanos, president of the San Diego Chargers, to determine the site of the team's game Sunday with Houston. Qualcomm stadium, where the game is scheduled to be played, is being used as a staging area for people displaced by southern California wildfires. The Chargers said they still are hoping to play at home, with other options in Arizona, Texas and Los Angeles.

Four years ago to the week, the Chargers were forced to move a Monday night game with Miami to Tempe, Ariz., on short notice because of deadly wildfires.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

not a single one of those guys is good enough to lick marvin harrison's nut sack.

Although this may be true...it has no bearing on my argument or who invented the retractable roof stadium. :wink:

Hewson said:
the Pats were wise to get a 1st round pick for him, then trade a 4th round pick a year later to replace his production with Moss' production.

Excellent points on Branch!

Yet, overall...powerhour24 needs to get over this "underdog" image of the Patriots. Any team that has the term "Dynasty" connected with it cannot have the term "underdog" with it. "Dynasty" usually means an excellent team and players that are probably seen as stellar (and at least one game break...in this case, Brady).

The other GENIUS part of the "Dynasty" is the ability to replace players (plug and play) AND get value for others (see Hewson's example above) that move on - IN the current Free Agency market!

zoney! said:

Yet, overall...powerhour24 needs to get over this "underdog" image of the Patriots. Any team that has the term "Dynasty" connected with it cannot have the term "underdog" with it. "Dynasty" usually means an excellent team and players that are probably seen as stellar (and at least one game break...in this case, Brady).

I agree, they have been too good over the past 7 years for an underdog label. Until this season, they did not have pro bowl caliber talent at wideout, but the guys they had were good players. During the run they have had a fututre hall of fame QB, up until last year a future hall of fame kicker, and a couple of potential hall of famers on defense (Bruschi, Seymour, Harrison, Wilfork), along with a number of very good players...not exactly chopped liver. Who knows when all is said and done somebody from the O line (who seem to get no recognition, but deserve plenty) could end up in the HoF, say Matt Light for example who rendered Merriman invisible in last year's playoff game. Brady has had tremendous protection this season.

They draft well, evaluate talent well and this past offseason signed the biggest defenseive free agent (Thomas) and then traded for the biggest available offensive prize (Moss) in a steal of a deal. Plus they added Welker, Stallworth and a few others. The front office has been nothing short of brilliant through this ride.

Fuck that.

It's bitching and whining about some non-existent issue that makes them look like pretentious shitheads.

Meanwhile, a team like the Colts, who are also undefeated and getting nowhere near the attention the Patriots are getting, go about their business quietly and are winning the same number of games against better teams.

I am by no means a Colts lover (nor did I invent the retractible roof), but they are showing everyone else how a team ought to go about a winning season.

Please...the Pats haven't been saying much this season since the stupid camera thing blew over...they've been responding to other teams BS, like the TO popcorn thing and Patrick Crayton's subsequent yapping after his team got thumped. The media is focusing on the Pats rather than the Colts because the Pats are on record pace scoring wise, be quite sure that Belichick, Brady and everyone in the locker room knows exactly how good the Colts are.
However to a man they are focused on one thing, the Redskins.

You need to get over your Pats hating, it makes you come across as petty from time to time here. Root against them, fine, its your prerogative (though I'd suggest adopting a new team to cheer for other than the hapless Chunky Soups, maybe the Bills as they plan to invade your country), but stop overblowing things and using terms like "pretentious shitheads". Your venom spewing is approaching pre-Colts SB win retractable roof inventor levels, and its not pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom