NFL 2007 Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wet Blanket Alert!

A little off-topic stuff is fine, but I think this is getting a little carried away. This is a general NFL thread, so if people come here wanting to talk football, they shouldn't have to wade through copious amounts of off-topic pics to find the discussion.

[/fun killing]

Despite my dislike of the Colts, my joy with last night's loss was tempered by 2 things. One, the Chargers being a pretty unlikeable bunch themselves, and two, cheering an Adam Vinatieri miss makes me feel a little dirty.

Major boner by Dungy, first with the attempt to draw San Diego off backfiring (cue Colts fans blaming the refs), followed by his waste of a timeout on a whine-fest with the officials. Give him credit for admitting error in the postgame though.

Oh and 6 picks for Peyton, and the "Manning face" in full pout on the bench following the FG miss :)

Dalton said:
So .... huh .... umm .... Tom Brady threw 6 interceptions last night. That's like a lot right?

I am going to assume you mean Peyton Manning...and yes. That's a lot of INT's. If he were in Chicago, he'd be ripped all over the press. But where he is, he probably could find a way to put the blame on the O-Line, or his receivers. :tsk:

Got Philk? said:

I am going to assume you mean Peyton Manning...and yes. That's a lot of INT's. If he were in Chicago, he'd be ripped all over the press. But where he is, he probably could find a way to put the blame on the O-Line, or his receivers. :tsk:

some of it was their fault, for example there was that pass that Wayne just sort of stopped on when he could have had it. but not all 6. good grief. we just weren't on yesterday. we were damn close but ... vinatieri missing a field goal, what is the world coming to

oh well, at least the vikings won...yeah... but no. :sigh:

Got Philk? said:

Manning was interviewed during post-game and it was picked up by one of the local Indy stations...he took FULL blame for the INTs...even when the reporters opened the door for him to blame others.

Even with the six INTs, the Colts should have won that game. Their Special Teams are atrocious (two run backs for touchdowns and two missed field goals). Take there play away, and you have six INTs and a victory.

Hewson said:
I did hear the call from the Indy radio announcers this morning driving in on a sports flash...quite humorous...first guy calls the play..."Vinatieri for the lead from 29 yards...Its GOOD! ITS GOOD!!!! ITS GOOD!!!!!" Second guy..."Um no it wasn't"...first guy, "and now they're saying no good".

Yeah....I am SURE every homer radio team has done this! Pats announcers must be perfect, right? No mistakes, ever? :wink:

It was fairly close. You have an old fart in a booth near the fifty yard line watching a kick just miss in the rain, NOT waiting for the refs to make a call. This is the same guy who called Indy Racers (WHL) Hockey Games when Gretzky started playing professionally at the age of 17.

But again, I am sure the Pats announcer have never made a mistake.

Hewson said:
I dunno sweetheart, but it seems thos who root for a team whose last 3 games were a 52-7 annihilation, an overtime win against what may prove to be the NFL's worst team by season's end, and an embarassing home loss to a dysfunctional Eagles team are the misguided ones.:wink:

Post of the day.

I had to take out the picture, but I like this one the best. ;)

CTU2fan said:
Oh and 6 picks for Peyton, and the "Manning face" in full pout on the bench following the FG miss :)

:lol: that was classic.. :D Everytime the camera went to him on the sidelines he was in full pout and shaking his head in disbelief too..

Hewson said:
We're not dicussing baiting skills Dave. :wink:

stcomppic2.jpg

164712775_0d57064244.jpg

51QcZNAknDL.jpg

That's more like it. :wink:

Hi BC! :wave::lol:

zoney! said:

Yeah....I am SURE every homer radio team has done this! Pats announcers must be perfect, right? No mistakes, ever? :wink:

It was fairly close. You have an old fart in a booth near the fifty yard line watching a kick just miss in the rain, NOT waiting for the refs to make a call. This is the same guy who called Indy Racers (WHL) Hockey Games when Gretzky started playing professionally at the age of 17.

But again, I am sure the Pats announcer have never made a mistake.
I have heard plenty of near miss calls on both TV and radio, like "Its good, no wait...no good, wide right" or "line drive down the left field line, its a fair ball, no foul"

But to hear this dude scream 3 times in a row "Its good!" like it was a Super Bowl winning kick and have the other guy just slip in quietly with "no it isn't" was pretty funny, no matter what team they work for.

CTU2fan said:

Major boner by Dungy, first with the attempt to draw San Diego off backfiring (cue Colts fans blaming the refs), followed by his waste of a timeout on a whine-fest with the officials. Give him credit for admitting error in the postgame though.

The irony....if it was a Patriots move, you would have called it a genius move and would have been whining about the call from the refs.

That being said, it looked like a pretty smooth attempt to me, and a crappy call by the refs. I have a feeling that that ref team will have a long review session this week.

zonelistener said:

The irony....if it was a Patriots move, you would have called it a genius move and would have been whining about the call from the refs.

I don't presume to speak for others, but if Belichick had tried it, I would have called it an unnecessary move. If the Colts had simply stood still for 44 seconds and taken a delay-of-game penalty or called a timeout, the clock would have gone under 1:15.

Sure, if you do draw them offside and get the first down, you can kneel twice, bleed the clock dry and kick the FG with 0:01 left, but San Diego's squirt-gun offense wouldn't have been able to come back even with 1:15 left (SD had no timeouts left).

Finally, whether it's a 24-yard FG or a 29-yard FG, Vinatieri nails it 99 times out of 100. He just whiffed, and the 5-yard penalty is not to blame.

Last edited:
^ Alex Smith makes most quarterbacks look good in comparison. It's still early, but his future doesn't look too bright. Some players can't handle the pressure that comes with being the number 1 pick.

It's amazing, but as of today the best quarterback drafted in 2005 is not Smith, but Derek Anderson, taken in the sixth round, 213th overall. :mad:

:| Some of his passes weren't even near a receiver. I have no idea where he was aiming for, and he only got worse when he went deep.

Wow, the 49ers really stink. They really looked like they were on the cusp of taking over the division last year. What a major regression.

So let's see. If the season ended now, the Patriots would have the #5 pick in the draft. Think Goodell wishes he had taken away that pick instead now?

zonelistener said:

That being said, it looked like a pretty smooth attempt to me, and a crappy call by the refs. I have a feeling that that ref team will have a long review session this week.

Not true. What I would have said is that he was outsmarting himself, and it could end up biting him in the ass. It wasn't so much the draw-off attempt, which is just typical Colts/Manning/Dungy and part of their game, but the silly timeout after. Granted it's all moot if AV makes the kick, but if it was Belichick I'd be killing him for wasting the timeout. If BB sent the offense out there he'd have been going for it.

I also think it sends a negative message to your defense, which had allowed a whopping 0 points in the 2nd half...that he had no confidence in just kicking it and giving SD the ball with ~1:15 to go.

I think the bigger question is, what would the reaction have been from all the Belichick-haters had the Pats done the same.

zonelistener said:

Why oh why do we always have to talk about the motherfucking Patriots???

:angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom