NFL 2007 Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
AnnRKeyintheUSA said:
People don't hate teams just because they win. Lots of teams win and don't get hated. It takes a certain personality and attitude of players and coach combined with winning to bring on the hate because a lot of people don't like to see that kind of person win where they wouldn't care if a nice guy was winning. You never see anyone hating Tiger Woods.

Ok, I'll bite.

1) Name any golfer who is "hated".

2) Name any team from the four major North American pro sports leagues, or any major college basketball or football team, that ever won two titles in a period of 10 years and wasn't "hated" by a significant portion of the sports-watching population.

speedracer said:

2) Name any team from the four major North American pro sports leagues, or any major college basketball or football team, that ever won two titles in a period of 10 years and wasn't "hated" by a significant portion of the sports-watching population.

1. San Francisco 49ers of the 80's-90's
2. Washington Redskins of the 80's (other than by Dallas fans lol!)
3. Green Bay Packers of the 60's, 90's
4. New York Giants of the early 90's
5. Pittsburgh Steelers of the 80's
6. University of Florida NCAA basketball team
7. Boston Red Sox (other than by Yankees fans)

:hmm: The only ones I've ever really heard hatred expressed for on a large scale (not just their division rivals but widespread) are:

1. Dallas Cowboys
2. New England Patriots
3. New York Yankees
4. LA Lakers
5. LA/Oakland Raiders

What's the equation here? It does seem to be something to do with the arrogance level and general persona of some of the key players and coaches. Mass media attention and victories are not enough alone to draw hatred. Somebody had to have had a big mouth or a big attitude to draw mass hatred. Everyone is hated by someone but talking mass hatred. It's not simply that people don't want teams to win, they don't want certain teams to win, because they don't like them.

Last edited:
speedracer said:

I'll go with all teams since the 60s.

MLB
New York Yankees - 60s, 70s, 90s
St. Louis Cardinals - 60s
Oakland Athletics - 70s
Los Angeles Dodgers - 60s, 80s
Boston Red Sox - 00s
Cincinnati Reds - 70s
Pittsburgh Pirates - 70s
Minnesota Twins - late 80s/early 90s
Baltimore Orioles - 60s
Florida Marlins - lates 90s/early 00s
Toronto Blue Jays - 90s

NFL
Dallas Cowboys - 70s, 90s
San Francisco 49ers - 80s-90s
Pittsburgh Steelers - 70s
Oakland Raiders - late 70s-80s
Green Bay Packers - 60s
Washington Redskins - 80s-early 90s
New England Patriots - 00s
Miami Dolphins - 70s
New York Giants - late 80s-early 90s
Denver Broncos - late 90s

NBA
Los Angeles Lakers - 80s, 00s
Boston Celtics - 60s, 70s, 80s
Chicago Bulls - 90s
San Antonio Spurs - 00s
Detroit Pistons - 89/90
New York Knicks - early 70s
Houston Rockets - 94/95

NHL
Montreal Canadiens - 60s, 70s, 80s/90s
Detroit Red Wings - late 90s/early 00s
Toronto Maple Leafs - 60s
Boston Bruins - 70s
Edmonton Oilers - 80s
Philadelphia Flyers - 70s
New York Islanders - 80s
New Jersey Devils - 90s/00s
Colorado Avalanche - late 90s/early 00s
Pittsburgh Penguins - 90s

That's essentially each 10 year period (not exact) with two championships for each franchise in the 4 majors since 1960.

phillyfan26 said:

I'll go with all teams since the 60s.

MLB
New York Yankees - 60s, 70s, 90s
St. Louis Cardinals - 60s
Oakland Athletics - 70s
Los Angeles Dodgers - 60s, 80s
Boston Red Sox - 00s
Cincinnati Reds - 70s
Pittsburgh Pirates - 70s
Minnesota Twins - late 80s/early 90s
Baltimore Orioles - 60s
Florida Marlins - lates 90s/early 00s
Toronto Blue Jays - 90s

NFL
Dallas Cowboys - 70s, 90s
San Francisco 49ers - 80s-90s
Pittsburgh Steelers - 70s
Oakland Raiders - late 70s-80s
Green Bay Packers - 60s
Washington Redskins - 80s-early 90s
New England Patriots - 00s
Miami Dolphins - 70s
New York Giants - late 80s-early 90s
Denver Broncos - late 90s

NBA
Los Angeles Lakers - 80s, 00s
Boston Celtics - 60s, 70s, 80s
Chicago Bulls - 90s
San Antonio Spurs - 00s
Detroit Pistons - 89/90
New York Knicks - early 70s
Houston Rockets - 94/95

NHL
Montreal Canadiens - 60s, 70s, 80s/90s
Detroit Red Wings - late 90s/early 00s
Toronto Maple Leafs - 60s
Boston Bruins - 70s
Edmonton Oilers - 80s
Philadelphia Flyers - 70s
New York Islanders - 80s
New Jersey Devils - 90s/00s
Colorado Avalanche - late 90s/early 00s
Pittsburgh Penguins - 90s

That's essentially each 10 year period (not exact) with two championships for each franchise in the 4 majors since 1960.

Whoa, PF, there are plenty of teams on this list that were hated. He asked you to name teams that won 2 titles in 10 years that were NOT hated.

The Yankees have been hated forever, so naming them is a mistake. The Cowboys, same thing. The 70's Flyers were despised outside of Philly. Bruins as well. Celtics and Lakers NOT being hated? Really? Not in NYC, that I can assure you. The Pistons? They were the scourge of the league.

I was just naming all the teams that fit the 2-in-10 criteria, not which ones were hated and which ones were not.

Did not make that clear, sorry.

phillyfan26 said:
I was just naming all the teams that fit the 2-in-10 criteria, not which ones were hated and which ones were not.

Did not make that clear, sorry.

You should be sorry. You'll be sorrier still when I mete out your punishment.

No spoken words said:

Whoa, PF, there are plenty of teams on this list that were hated. He asked you to name teams that won 2 titles in 10 years that were NOT hated.

The Yankees have been hated forever, so naming them is a mistake. The Cowboys, same thing. The 70's Flyers were despised outside of Philly. Bruins as well. Celtics and Lakers NOT being hated? Really? Not in NYC, that I can assure you. The Pistons? They were the scourge of the league.

Bad Boys :hi5:

And before he clarified I was just about to quote that whole Colorado Avalance thingy pfan posted, as in to go "hahahahah, what in hell are you talking about?" but that would have just looked biased since I am a Wings fan and all. :whistle:

I think the Denver Broncos of the late 90s are one counter-argument. People really liked that team, especially because of the John Elway story. I think the ones who disliked them were in the minority.

AnnRKeyintheUSA said:

1. San Francisco 49ers of the 80's-90's
2. Washington Redskins of the 80's (other than by Dallas fans lol!)
3. Green Bay Packers of the 60's, 90's
4. New York Giants of the early 90's
5. Pittsburgh Steelers of the 80's
6. University of Florida NCAA basketball team
7. Boston Red Sox (other than by Yankees fans)

I strongly disagree with #5 and #7, and disagree with #1, #2 and #4.

The Packers have won only 1 title after the Lombardi era. Since I wasn't alive during the Lombardi era, I can't comment on that.

The Gators aren't very well hated right now, but everyone hates Joakim Noah.

Really, the only other team I can think of from the last couple decades is the Houston Rockets and the Pittsburgh Penguins of the mid-90s.

Last edited:
phillyfan26 said:
I think the Denver Broncos of the late 90s are one counter-argument. People really liked that team, especially because of the John Elway story. I think the ones who disliked them were in the minority.

Out on the west coast, people have been saying the Broncos' offensive line are the dirtiest players in the NFL for years (to say nothing of Bill Romanowski).

DaveC said:

We all know my feelings about the Patriots, but a lot of that stuff is vicious, petty, and seems like jealousy.
I assume it is supposed to be humorous ( if not then:huh: ), and some is funny, some is just stupid, and some comes off as you describe.
Maybe they should have used Dallas Clark's number instead of Harrison's. A more concise list might have been fairly funny top to bottom, but they really had to try too hard to get 88.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
It's fun when your team is the subject of the most venom in the entire league. Been there, done that (Red Wings, late 90's, anyone?).

BonoManiac said:

I don't think they were as scorned as you think, especially not when they had Steve Yzerman as captain, one of the best and most highly respected players of the last 25 years. I certainly appreciated them, in spite of their successes, for that reason alone.

and on top of it no one watches hockey. a couple of ticked off hosers doesn't really count as having your team hated, does it? :evil:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

:mad:

But you're right about the hosers part. :hi5:

**Official time of revoked honourary Canadian citizenship - 7:38pm, Nov 6, 2007**

It was 7:37 by my count. You don't deserve the extra minute. :shame:

speedracer said:

Go 1987 and 1991 Twins! (Thanks PF26)

How could you "hate" Kirby Puckett?

And that list by the Colts fan....LAME! Someone is obviously is underemployed here in Indy!

DaveC said:
I definitely think most Canadians, while maybe not actively rooting for the Wings, at least respected them, and that's almost entirely because of Yzerman. :up:

As great a player as Steve was he was just as much a great guy off the ice, in my experience. I've met him a few times, real quality guy, very nice to kids wanting his autograph or just wanting to meet Steve Yzerman. And remember this guy was on the Wings when they were rock-bottom dogshit terrible, and he never bitched.

zoney! said:

Go 1987 and 1991 Twins! (Thanks PF26)

How could you "hate" Kirby Puckett?

Well there was that Kent Hrbek cheating thing in '91 :) But yeah, nobody hated the Twins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom