NFL 2007 Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Ellis,

This is what you get for running over my dog.

Sincerely,

Mike Pereira
NFL Vice President of Officiating

Headache in a Suitcase said:
did anyone else here the crowd noise skip at one point?

it was very strange... i'm guessing it was simply the NBC audio feed but the announcers kept talking normaly, almost like the colts were pumping crowd audio in.

All that, and they still managed to lose the game.

After discussing Andy Reid's kids' issues for a little while, John Madden commented that Andy Reid is one of the "good guys" among coaches. This led to a good rant by my father:

"What makes him one of the good guys? He belittles the common man! Yeah, he'll be nice if your John Madden or the president of the team, but if I were to go up to him right now, he'd think I was an idiot for asking a question! He'd think I was insulting his intelligence! Tony Dungy's a good guy! Why would anyone consider Andy Reid a good guy? He's the opposite! He's unbelievably arrogrant and egotistical. He may be a lot of things, but he's not a good guy. What a ridiculous suggestion!"

http://www.profootballtalk.com/Moss_Catch_Audio

Add dot-mp3 to the end of the link above, and you'll get what supposedly is an audio clip of the Pats-Colts game on CBS. About 20 seconds in, the crowd noise abruptly diminishes and some sort of audio glitch comes in. Meanwhile, Jim Nantz and Phil Simms are talking uninterrupted.

Last edited:
So what if they piped crowd noise in? :shrug:

Is that any different than Belichick having the grounds crew ice down the field at Gillette Stadium before a January playoff game against the Colts?

After all, piping in crowd noise ain't quite cheating, is it? :wink:

Last edited:
DaveC said:
So what if they piped crowd noise in? :shrug:

Is that any different than Belichick having the grounds crew ice down the field at Gillette Stadium before a January playoff game against the Colts?

I find it funny that Patriots fans are complaining about something like this. After all, piping in crowd noise ain't quite cheating, is it? :wink:

Are people complaining elsewhere? I ask because nobody in this thread actually complained about it. It was merely mentioned.

Fine, nobody's explicitly complained. A Pats fan did dig up the audio, so that's what touched it off in my head. I take that back.

But again, I ask how playing crowd noise to rattle the opponent is any different than Belichick's "shenanigans" (to put it VERY mildly) in recent years.

I'm pretty sure piping in crowd noise is technically illegal. I'm also pretty sure that the Colts aren't the only team doing it.

But all these sanctimonious writers who have been pitting the Colts as paragons of virtue against the evil Patriots have got another think coming.

Honestly, this game just further helped to expose how bad the Eagles really are this year. McNabb blows, the coaching staff sucks...if this season leads to an overhaul of the team next year (seriously, trade McNabb for a star receiver and get Kolb in there next year), and leads to a coaching staff that has some balls when it comes to calling plays, then I don't mind.

But the Andy Reid/Donovan McNabb combo will probably still be there next year. :slant:

DaveC said:

But the Andy Reid/Donovan McNabb combo will probably still be there next year. :slant:

Strange as this sounds, I'm actually starting to feel sorry for McChunkysoup. I couldn't stand the guy a couple years back, but I really think he could do some damage elsewhere. If it were up to me, I would do exactly what you said and trade him for a beast of a WR (Ocho Cinco is being let loose after this season, BTW). Draft some o-linemen next year and get Ron Rivera to be the badass coach you guys need. You would be greatly improved within 2 years.

speedracer said:
I'm pretty sure piping in crowd noise is technically illegal. I'm also pretty sure that the Colts aren't the only team doing it.

But all these sanctimonious writers who have been pitting the Colts as paragons of virtue against the evil Patriots have got another think coming.
And throw in Dungy's pious comments after cameragate and his reaffirmation of them this week and you have pot and kettle.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

is there any doubt?

it would take a huge upset from this point on for it not to happen.
San Diego at home this weekend beating the Colts is not a huge upset, though the Clts are early 3 point favorites, obviously based on the fact that after yeasterday, the over/under on Addai rush yards for the game is 650.

Games vs. Jax, at Balt and vs Tenn could be stunmling blocks as well. I figure they'll be 14-2.

As for the Pats, I think they have a better shot at 16-0 than the Colts do of 15-1, but vs. Pitt, at Balt and strangely at your beloved NYG could all present the possibility of an upset.

But I actually think if the Pats lose it won't be one of those games, but a totally unexpected one, and the game at Buffalo could be the shocker.

I would normally agree about the Buffalo game, but historically the Patriots do very well when coming off of a bye, so I don't see it this year.

After everything that happened after Game 1, you know they'll be out for blood against the Jets, and the Dolphins in Foxboro in December never matters.

That leaves the Steelers and Eagles at home, and the Ravens on the road. Playing in Baltimore will be tough, but the fact that the Ravens have no offense kills that possibility. We saw how bad the Eagles are last night, so in my mind that leaves Pittsburgh as the biggest possibility.

And the 49ers are now 2-6 on the season, which means the Patriots, despite losing their own first round pick, are going to get a top ten player next year (or trade down and build up the picks again).

Hewson said:

As for the main event, both defenses played great, the Colts were shorthanded, and that may have ultimately made the difference. Good game, should set up a whale of a rematch in Foxboro for the AFC championship game if all holds form.

I am not sure how much the "short-handedness" played into this game....I just think the Colts had their turnovers at the wrong time! Great game to watch.

I fully expected to see the Pats fans whine about the refs (some of the call where questionable), but pipped-in crowd noise? Are you serious? Based on an audio clip from the television? Get over yourselves!

It is a friggin' dome. You may have not had an opportunity to sit through a game in a dome...it does not take much to be loud in one (I was a Viking season ticket holder and have been to two Colts games while living here).

Hewson said:
San Diego at home this weekend beating the Colts is not a huge upset, though the Clts are early 3 point favorites, obviously based on the fact that after yeasterday, the over/under on Addai rush yards for the game is 650.

Games vs. Jax, at Balt and vs Tenn could be stunmling blocks as well. I figure they'll be 14-2.

As for the Pats, I think they have a better shot at 16-0 than the Colts do of 15-1, but vs. Pitt, at Balt and strangely at your beloved NYG could all present the possibility of an upset.

But I actually think if the Pats lose it won't be one of those games, but a totally unexpected one, and the game at Buffalo could be the shocker.

This is right on!

What helps the Colts is that the Titans and Jags play at Indy. The Chiefs could also provide some trouble.

The Giants/Pats game could be interesting...maybe (defensively).

Hewson said:
And throw in Dungy's pious comments after cameragate and his reaffirmation of them this week and you have pot and kettle.

No...pumping in crowd noise is not even in the same ballpark as videotaping and stealing defensive signals. :|

This game was such a mirror of last year's AFC Championship game. While the Pats let it get away late in that one, and you saw their D run out of gas...this time, Freeney & Mathis were running all over the Pats' O-line in the first half, but they couldn't sustain it.

And since the Pats won I can point out the shitty officiating (the first interference call on the Pats and the one on Bethea were the only legit ones). Personally I just hate games that are called like that, in any sport. It's tackle football, not 2-hand touch...let them play.

Re: pumping in crowd noise...it's not cheating, but for a team that loves to portray this All-American Good Guys image, well it shows their true colors. It just means they're trying, and looking for an edge...just like the Pats. But that doesn't fit the media's good (Colts) vs. evil (Pats) storyline, so I guess it didn't happen. Whatever.

But overall I was very impressed with the Colts' D, and with Addai. That defense is really quick and athletic; that's as good a D as I remember any of Dungy's Colts teams having. They frankly outplayed the Pats...that game wasn't looking good at all until the end.

Oh, and Randy Moss is pretty good :)

CTU2fan said:

Re: pumping in crowd noise...it's not cheating, but for a team that loves to portray this All-American Good Guys image, well it shows their true colors. It just means they're trying, and looking for an edge...just like the Pats. But that doesn't fit the media's good (Colts) vs. evil (Pats) storyline, so I guess it didn't happen. Whatever.

Where is the proof?

They only proof people have is from a TV audio clip where there are multiple audio sources going into the broadcast.

Until there is proof...you guys sound just as idiotic as the Jets fan suing the Patriots for cheating!

DaveC said:

No...pumping in crowd noise is not even in the same ballpark as videotaping and stealing defensive signals. :|
Its still breaking rules, which people seem to think Dungy is above, so maybe it was someone else who made the decision to do it, maybe Ben Utecht is in charge of it.

CTU2fan said:

Oh, and Randy Moss is pretty good :)
Eric Mangini was watching the game on TV after his triumphant OT loss to the 'Skins (he thinks thats as good as a win apparently), and called Goodell after Moss' one handed catch and filed a complaint for Moss using stickum. He says since Moss and Lester Tate both used to play for the Raiders, thats a smoking gun.

CTU2fan said:

:banghead:

zoney! said:

Where is the proof?

They only proof people have is from a TV audio clip where there are multiple audio sources going into the broadcast.

Until there is proof...you guys sound just as idiotic as the Jets fan suing the Patriots for cheating!

Listen to the clip, and tell me that you don't hear a flat cheering sound devoid of pitch dynamics that abruptly gets louder, hangs and then suddenly cuts out. The only other explanation is that CBS is piping it in, but I've never heard of a network doing this -- typically they just mike up the crowd, and the clip sounds way more like a mp3 hanging than microphone feedback problems.

EDIT: YouTube link below, watch it before the NFL demands that it be taken down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHQTcFQEMXo

Last edited:
speedracer said:

Skins do it. I've never heard it myself, but many other fans have said they heard it. Doesn't do us much good. :shrug:

speedracer said:

Listen to the clip, and tell me that you don't hear a flat cheering sound devoid of pitch dynamics that abruptly gets louder, hangs and then suddenly cuts out. The only other explanation is that CBS is piping it in, but I've never heard of a network doing this -- typically they just mike up the crowd, and the clip sounds way more like a mp3 hanging than microphone feedback problems.

EDIT: YouTube link below, watch it before the NFL demands that it be taken down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHQTcFQEMXo

Hey....I have some nice swamp land in Florida if you would like!

and, while you are at it (putting all of your faith on a television clip), are you also going to tell me that aliens shot JFK and that Santa Claus truly exists?

Again, it sounds as if there is a CBS error on the broadcast. The mik for the crowd has reverb and the production truck shuts it off.

The crowd is loud as the ball is snapped, and then suddenly it dies down after a completion from the opposing team. Uncommon? NO. But if it truly was an issue, someone from the game would have stated they heard a sound that mimics a skipping CD or reverb.

The stadium is pretty damn loud...you do not need "noise pumped in" - and nothing kills that noise better than a completion to start out the fourth quarter that is a first down AND a drive into the hometown team's end of the field.

I have a lot of respect for you guys normally....but this is making you guys look like roof-inventing kitties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom