NFL 2007 Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LemonMelon said:

:eyebrow: Get off the Patriots' jock, please. Perhaps there actually is something to all of this hating on the Pats. Maybe Belichick is a dick. Is there something wrong with pointing it out? Must I bow before him because his team is off the charts? Is it wrong to point out poor sportsmanship simply because his team is good?

Maybe he is a dick. That was kind of my point. All this negative attention stems from him being perceived as such...but none of us has met the guy, so we have to take the media's word for it. Parcells has shown himself to be every bit the douchebag that BB gets made out to be (lining up his next job during the Super Bowl bye week?)

Belichick is a great coach, but come on guys, he's not that great. The reason the Pats have such a brilliant team is because of how incredible their front office is. The team that front office and scouting department has put together is legendary. Without Brady, Belichick would be nothing. Want me to bring up his record when coaching the Browns? It's poor. Very poor. Knock out Brady or injure someone on that line, and the wheels come off.

OK now Belichick is a product of the system? I thought that was Brady, who's been dismissed as a system QB for years, unworthy of being mentioned in the same sentence as Peyton despite his 3 rings.

Look, they're my team, I'm going to defend them. Bottom line, the whole league kicked their asses for years and nobody gave a damn...but now I have to listen to a bunch of crying when my team has the upper hand?

As for the cheating, notice how all the NFL insider types who get asked about it say "no big deal". Why? Because they know the whole league is doing the same thing, or worse.

Edit: Never mind, Hewson just made half the points I did. I don't see anyone saying "worship Belichick", but the complaining about the guy...from where I sit it just looks like very thinly-disguised jealousy.

Last edited:
I love how we Philly fans have to have jackasses like that to encourage the misconceptions.

Every fan base has jackasses. Unfortunately, ours always seem to be the ones used to summarize the entire fan base.

What's the deal with Andy Reid anyway? Is it the personal issues distracting him? I've heard speculation to that effect, which seems kind of silly since his sons are grown men.

To be honest, I don't really buy the cheating thing. It certainly doesn't look good, but hey, they seem to be doing fine without (?) it.

I will say that, judging from the evidence, Brady does seem to be what makes this team click. Just ask yourself this:

What would hurt more, losing Brady, or losing Belichick? I think either of your coordinators are competent enough to run the team if Belichick were to get canned. If Brady were to get injured, you guys would fall to 9-7 faster than you can say "handicam".

Belichick struggled with a lousy team before, and he would do it again.

LemonMelon said:
To be honest, I don't really buy the cheating thing. It certainly doesn't look good, but hey, they seem to be doing fine without (?) it.

I will say that, judging from the evidence, Brady does seem to be what makes this team click. Just ask yourself this:

What would hurt more, losing Brady, or losing Belichick? I think either of your coordinators are competent enough to run the team if Belichick were to get canned. If Brady were to get injured, you guys would fall to 9-7 faster than you can say "handicam".

I always thought it was Brady, honestly. I think BB is a good coach...he's a better coach than he was in Cleveland. But yeah, take away Brady and of course they'd struggle, any team would.

CTU2fan said:
What's the deal with Andy Reid anyway? Is it the personal issues distracting him? I've heard speculation to that effect, which seems kind of silly since his sons are grown men.

Not at all, from what I can tell. He's always been an idiot. Really the only difference is that he had good drafts for his first few years, and hasn't since. His talents declining, they are and have always been atrocious with free agency, they're poorly disciplined, he's unprepared, etc.

phillyfan26 said:

Not at all, from what I can tell. He's always been an idiot. Really the only difference is that he had good drafts for his first few years, and hasn't since. His talents declining, they are and have always been atrocious with free agency, they're poorly disciplined, he's unprepared, etc.

Time for a coup d'etat. PF, you can be the head coach, I'll be the GM. Cool?

Viva la revolucion!

Sounds like a plan. One good thing Andy Reid had was his classic "chart" (menu). I'm keeping that. Gotta eat somewhere after the game.

phillyfan26 said:

Ah, OK. I don't see a ton of NFC ball and he always carried a good rep, so I figured the bizarre stuff he was doing this year was something new.

phillyfan26 said:
Sounds like a plan. One good thing Andy Reid had was his classic "chart" (menu). I'm keeping that. Gotta eat somewhere after the game.

Awesome. I've won at least 50 Super Bowls in Madden, so I have no doubt that we'll get one next year.

Step one: trade Donovan McNabb to the Dolphins for their first and second-round draft picks. Kevin Kolb will undoubtedly be a 99 overall by the end of the year with only 8 games' experience. :up:

It's kind of funny how it took getting other key players within the Patriots organization for people to determine that Brady really is a great quarterback and not just a product of the system, which was always a load of shit.

And I would argue that, while Brady is having a monster year statistically, he probably did his best work last year. He almost single-handedly carried that team to the Super Bowl, with having almost next to nothing to work with.

That being said, there's no question that Belichick is an incredible coach, even if he comes across as an asshole to people. Does Brady make him look better? Yeah, perhaps, but then again, Brady doesn't play defense, and the defense was just as responsible for those three Super Bowl wins as Brady was.

phanan said:
He almost single-handedly carried that team to the Super Bowl, with having almost next to nothing to work with.

HE DIDN'T almost single-handedly carry them to the Super Bowl. They got beat in the second half of the AFC title game by the Colts. See, you dang Patriots fans have blinders on! ;)

He single-handedly carried them almost to the Super Bowl. :D

U2kitten would have been ALL over you. :lol:

On the field, Brady works well in BB's system. Who QB'd for BB in Cleveland?

Now, here is what else makes BB look like a genius: the front office. They keep finding guys who will fit into the system. They lose a guy to free agency, and they find another guy to step in.

Last edited:
LemonMelon said:
Hewson, post a photo of yourself so I can photoshop you bowing before a bronze statue of Belichick. If you would have had something like that as your avatar, you wouldn't have even had to have written these last few posts of yours.

Here ya go:

039_44145~Brad-Pitt-Posters.jpg

DaveC said:

I guess we should have just stuck with that whole "the world is flat" thing, cause clearly arguing anything else amounts entirely to waffling.

:rolleyes:
No, changing your argument 180 degrees is waffling.

LemonMelon said:

At the same point, Belicheck has to be given some credit for being the one who drafted Brady and wanted him playing over Bledsoe (and may even have paid Mo Lewis :wink: )

And if the Pats could succeed with only the coordinators and not Belichick, why have Romeo Crennel, Charlie Weis, and now Eric Mangini (snicker) had so much difficulty succeeding without Belichick?

The argument is a tad silly...I've been saying for years that Brady is the best QB in the league, arguing that he was better than Peyton because he is a winner. I said many times I would want Peyton on my fantasy team and Tom on my real team.

Now that Brady has weapons, others seem to be coming over to "the darkside" (see the example of our Canadian friend who until Brady helmed his 2 fantasy teams this year always hated him and said Manning was better).

However, the other side of the coin...answer honestly who is the best coach in the league currently?
Frankly its Belichick...and there lies the reason for the Pats' success the past 7 years, arguably the league's best QB and best coach working in tandem.

CTU2fan said:

Edit: Never mind, Hewson just made half the points I did. I don't see anyone saying "worship Belichick", but the complaining about the guy...from where I sit it just looks like very thinly-disguised jealousy.
Well apparently cause I asked what his playoff record was, I now bow down before him. Some of the comments are laughable...not really funny, wouldn't try them out on open mic nigt at the Comedy Store, but laughable.

And lets get back for a second (before I check the props for the Pack/Broncos) to the whole "running up the score" issue.

Why was it not running up the score when the Rams were doing it in 2000 with the "greatest show o turf"?
Why was it not running up the score when the Colts were doing it in 2003 and 2004 ?

Look up some of the score of those seasons, look at the boxscores, you'll see Warner and manning not only throwing with 3+ TD leads in the 4th quarter, but also throwing deep. How much playing time did Bulger or Sorgi get those years? Probably as much as Matt Cassel has in 8 games this year.

So is it because Mike Martz is too pigheaded and Smeegle is a good Christian that we give them a pass, but Belichick is an ornery prick so he is held to a different standard?

Inquiring minds want to know.

DaveC said:

I guess we should have just stuck with that whole "the world is flat" thing, cause clearly arguing anything else amounts entirely to waffling.

:rolleyes:

ok i gotta side with hewson on this one.

ya can't say one second that brady is only good because of belichick's system, then decide that brady is in fact good, thus belichick must not be that good.

admitting that brady is good is like saying "oh hey, i guess the world is round." saying that brady being good means that belichick now is over-rated is like saying "oh hey, i guess because the world is round, that means that the sky is flat."

it make no friggin sense holmes.

LemonMelon said:

Belichick's regular season coaching record (Patriots included): 119-81 (0.595)

Record coaching the Browns: 37-45

Record coaching the Patriots before Brady (2000 season): 5-11

Record coaching the Patriots with Brady (2001 season): 11-5

Total record before Brady: 42-56

Total record with Brady: 90-28

ok this is a completely unfair way to judge a coach.

there are great coaches who never get recognized because they have bad players and there are bad coaches who get praised because they have great players, and of course there are bad coaches who have bad teams, your rich kotities and isiah thomases of the world, and there are good coaches who have good teams.

ok, now that that is over, let's get some facts about your numbers straight.

the year before belichick took over the browns they went 3-13. let's say that again.

the year before belichick took over the browns they went 3-13.

now mind you that belichick was at the time the youngest coach in NFL history and had very little control over scouting, drafting and player management. and let's not forget that the browns management at the time was a complete and utter mess.

okay... belichick's first year in cleveland they went 6-10. his second year they went 7-9 in a year in which his starting quarterback, bernie kosar, missed half the season. in his third season he switched QBs midseason (kosar to vinny T) and the browns again went 7-9. his third season they were 11-5 and in the playoffs, where he beat the parcells coached patriots in the first round.

his last season, he went 5-11. and oh by the way, midway through that season the owner announced he was moving the team to baltimore, sending the entire season into chaos. they were 3-4 before the announcement, 2-7 after. belichick quit rather than go with them to baltimore.

so that overall losing record is very deceptive. his team improved every season, with the exception of the season in which they had some pretty hefty distractions to deal with. take away that last season and his record with cleveland

ok, let's move to new england. belichick took over a franchise that was driven into the ground by parcells departure and the failures of pete carroll.

belichick's first season with the pats he went 5-11. he also drafted tom brady that season, choosing him over tim rattay. wise choice, me thinks.

every season after that...
2001- 11-5, super bowl champs.
2002- 9-7
2003- 14-2, super bowl champs.
2004- 14-2, super bowl champs... 2003 & 2004 they combined to win 18 straight regular season games, 21 straight if you include playoffs
2005- 10-6
2006- 12-4
2007- 7-0

he has a 13-3 career playoff record (1-1, 12-2) and is 3-0 in the super bowl, not to mention that he has two super bowl rings as an assistant coach with the giants and one more trip to the super bowl as an assistant with the pats.

bill belichick over-rated?

gimmie a break... no coach can win without the horses, but give the guy his due.

zonelistener said:

Now, here is what else makes BB look like a genius: the front office. They keep finding guys who will fit into the system. They lose a guy to free agency, and they find another guy to step in.
Don't lose sight of the fact that the #1 man in that front office who gives coach Bill Belichick the most help is...wait for it...Bill Belichick.

And Scott Pioli is fantastic as well, BB would be the first to tell you that, but BB is in charge there also.

Hewson said:
And lets get back for a second (before I check the props for the Pack/Broncos) to the whole "running up the score" issue.

Why was it not running up the score when the Rams were doing it in 2000 with the "greatest show o turf"?
Why was it not running up the score when the Colts were doing it in 2003 and 2004 ?

Look up some of the score of those seasons, look at the boxscores, you'll see Warner and manning not only throwing with 3+ TD leads in the 4th quarter, but also throwing deep. How much playing time did Bulger or Sorgi get those years? Probably as much as Matt Cassel has in 8 games this year.

So is it because Mike Martz is too pigheaded and Smeegle is a good Christian that we give them a pass, but Belichick is an ornery prick so he is held to a different standard?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Watching ESPN tonight, it was quite silly how much time they spent on the subject. Steve Young had a nice little rant going - I guess he doesn't think it's right. :lol:

Notice how old school coaches like Ditka and Parcells have no problem with it whatsoever.

And really, what is the big deal? There's 8 or 9 minutes left in the 4th quarter and Brady was taken out, but you still have to play until the end. Cassel comes in and mainly hands it off, but throws on the fourth down. Why? To keep the ball and have the clock keep going. You don't stop taking shots in basketball in a blowout, you don't stop trying to get a hit in baseball during a blowout. This is the same thing.

I'm willing to bet he doesn't see the end of this contract thus not collecting the full $37-million that is owed to him.

Report: Cowboys sign Romo to 6-year deal

Associated Press
10/29/2007 6:53:05 PM

IRVING, Texas - Tony Romo didn't have to wait until the off-season to get his big payday from the Dallas Cowboys after all.

Romo has agreed to a US$67-million, six-year deal that will be announced Tuesday, according to a person familiar with the deal who requested anonymity because the contact has not been announced.

The contract, which will become effective this week and provides salary cap relief for Dallas, including $30 million in guaranteed money.

"It's a great feeling you have when the organization and the people stand behind you, and you can be the quarterback for a long, long time," Romo said. "It's a neat feeling that, `You're our guy, we like you.' .. It makes you feel good as a person and a player."

Cowboys spokesman Rich Dalrymple said the team would have no announcements Monday night. Other club officials did not immediately return calls.

Ken Kramer, who negotiated the contract for Romo, also was not available for comment.

Recently, quarterbacks Matt Schaub of Houston ($48 million) and Marc Bulger of St. Louis ($65 million) received six-year contracts. Bulger got $27 million guaranteed.

Schaub's Texans are 3-5, while Bulger's Rams are 0-8. Both have also been injured this season.

The Cowboys, meanwhile, are 6-1 and lead the NFC East.

Romo hoped to get a new deal this past summer. Team owner Jerry Jones opted to let the relatively unproven quarterback go into his first year in charge just to make sure he was worth a huge commitment.

The answer came quickly. Romo was the NFC's offensive player of the month in September and Dallas finished October with the No. 1 offence in the conference.

With Jones confident he had the right man for the job, it made sense to get the deal done now because Dallas is able to apply some of the salary cap impact this season.

Romo is in his fourth year in the NFL, but has started only 17 games. He's won 12 and done so in such dazzling fashion that Roger Staubach's grandson likes wearing Romo's No. 9 jersey, not his grandpa's No. 12.

"He's fun to watch," Staubach said recently.

Romo burst onto the scene last October, with coach Bill Parcells sending him in to replace Drew Bledsoe at halftime of a Monday night game against the New York Giants. His first pass was an interception and that close game turned into a lopsided loss. Yet his career was about to take off.

Dallas won five of his first six starts in such spectacular fashion that some fans hung Romo's name on the Ring of Honor in Texas Stadium on the U.S. Thanksgiving. And that was before kickoff, which meant prior to him matching a club record with five touchdown passes.

This season, Romo already has set the club record for 300-yard games. He leads the NFC with 1,984 yards passing and 16 touchdowns; both are second in the NFL behind Tom Brady.

Pretty good for a guy who wasn't drafted coming out of Division I-AA Eastern Illinois.

With every great game Romo's had this season, Jones has known the pricetag for the new contract was rising. He figured it was worth it to reduce the risk. Besides, the better Romo does, the more money the team makes.

"A lot of times, you don't have a choice, so you've got to make a decision right there. But we have the luxury of time," Jones said recently. "It fits him, too. It lets him have a better feel for where he's going to be."

Being quarterback of "America's Team" has fit Romo quite nicely.

He's already dated country star Carrie Underwood and been linked in gossip magazines to Jessica Simpson and, as of this past weekend, Britney Spears. Romo spent his bye weekend in Los Angeles and wound up at the same place as Spears, landing him back in the tabloids.

"It comes with the territory, I guess," he said.

So do the big bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom