Newsflash! MAINSTREAM RADIO MIGHT STOP SUCKING!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
http://www.spin.com/features/news/2007/03/070305_fcc/

Equal Opportunity Airwaves

March 5, 2007

FCC rule in favor of Indies, allotting airtime to prevent payola scandals.

Today, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), in partnership with the American Association of Independent Music (A2IM), reached a landmark agreement with major radio conglomerates to allocate airtime to independent musicians and record companies. As previously reported (read more), the FCC has been considering forcing major radio stations to allot airtime for independents in an effort to permanently derail the recent rise in payola -- radio stations accepting cash or gifts from record companies in exchange for airplay. Now, the FCC has ruled, forcing four major radio broadcast companies -- Clear Channel Communications Inc., CBS Radio, Entercom Communications Corp. and Citadel Broadcasting Corp. -- to collectively pay the government $12.5 million and provide 8,400 half-hour segments of free airtime between the peak listening hours of 6 A.M. and 12 A.M. The airtime will be granted only to independent record labels and local artists not owned or controlled by any of the "big four" labels: Sony BMG Music Entertainment, Warner Music Group, Universal Music Group and EMI Group.

"This could be the final paradigm shift, the straw that broke the camels back and brought music back to be relevant to crying needs of the market place that we've had a hard time coming to grips with," Peter Gordon, A2IM chief of negotiations, told SPIN.com. "And what better place to start than the indie sector, the most agile and forward thinking in the business." Gordon, invited by FCC to nail out an agreement with major radio conglomerates in Aug. 2006 during the ongoing payola investigations, claims today's accord is "a brilliant marketing move…a way to take a look at under resourced music to bring forward to refresh airwaves."

And the airwaves need a revival. Gordon, citing SoundScan, stated indie music accounts for as much as 37-38 percent of the web's material, while representing only 10 percent of commercial radio's current content. "It's a great wake up call." Gordon said, "It's a very clever move to very quickly make radio relevant again…we're (A2IM/indie music) larger than the largest major label, you can't marginalize this any longer. We're king of the hill!"

:drool:

Good, maybe more than 50 songs will be in the rotation in my town. Just maybe.

Crap, now I don't get to be an elitist snob who casts off the abusive establishment that is currently in the form of commercial radio.

What will I look forward to? Why would it be worth getting up in the morning? :sad:

LemonMelon said:
Crap, now I don't get to be an elitist snob who casts off the abusive establishment that is currently in the form of commercial radio.

What will I look forward to? Why would it be worth getting up in the morning? :sad:

I'd rather be a smug elitist snob than an angry one. :shrug:

LemonMacPhisto said:

I'd rather be a smug elitist snob than an angry one. :shrug:

True. :angry:

*turns on the local classic rock station, waits to hear Sleeping Lessons and/or Casimir Pulaski Day*

"Yes, caller number, what's your request?"
"I'd like to hear 'The Enemy Guns' by DeVotchKa, please."

"....................................... and here you go, it's Mims' 'This is Why I'm Hot'!"

*shoots self in head*

as long as there are still commercials and irritating morning show hosts, the radio will always suck. and reggaeton. as long as there's reggaetone, the radio will still suck.

i heard that this is why i'm hot song. it made me want to run over some innocent pedestrians. once was far more than enough.

I don't think it's elitist not to listen to the Radio. They just don't play/say anything worth 1/2 a second of anyone's time. Plain and simple!

I was an anti-ipod person at first, but hell anything to make long commutes to school tolerable and carries a collection's worth of music is certainly better than any radio station, for me anyway!

thetitans2k said:
I stopped listening to the radio anways when I bought my ipod/.

I went from radio, to CDs, to satellite to iPod. I'd go back to radio if it wasn't so God-awful in a heartbeat. I've been reduced to listening to talk radio when I don't have my Ipod or a CD.

I welcome this news. You might actually be able to find new bands ON THE RADIO AGAIN!

Back
Top Bottom