news of the weird - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 12-06-2005, 06:04 PM   #1
love, blood, life
Local Time: 08:07 AM
news of the weird

You know how there are those news stories you'd love to share, but they really don't merit their own thread?

Well maybe we could put them here for a while.

I have one to start:

Woman Allegedly Hires Hit Man for Cheese

From Associated Press
December 06, 2005 4:08 PM EST

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - In an unusual case of mistaken identity, a woman who thought a block of white cheese was cocaine is charged with trying to hire a hit man to rob and kill four men. The woman also was mistaken about the hit man. He turned out to be an undercover police officer.

Jessica Sandy Booth, 18, was arrested over the weekend and remains in jail with bond set at $1 million on four charges of attempted murder and four counts of soliciting a murder.

According to police, Booth was in the Memphis home of the four intended victims last week when she mistook a block of queso fresco cheese for cocaine - inspiring the idea to hire someone to break into the home, take the drugs, and kill the men.

An informant described the plot to police, who arranged a meeting between Booth and the undercover officer.

The undercover officer gave Booth some nonfunctioning handguns, bought ammunition for her because she was too young, and the two proceeded to the home under police surveillance.

Booth told the officer that any children inside the house old enough to testify would have to be killed, police said.

A search of the home with the permission of the occupants revealed no drugs - only the white, crumbly cheese common in Mexican cuisine.

"Four men were going to lose their lives over some cheese," said Lt. Jeff Clark, who heads Project Safe Neighborhoods.

Old 12-06-2005, 06:07 PM   #2
love, blood, life
Local Time: 08:07 AM
ooohh! another one.

Customer Gives Pizza Man His Own Card

From Associated Press
December 06, 2005 8:12 AM EST

OSLO, Norway - When Vegard Sjaastad delivered a pizza near the western Norwegian town of Aalesund, there was something familiar about the customer's credit card. It was his card, and had been stolen the day before.

"It was like I met myself in the doorway," the 24-year-old said by telephone Tuesday. "It was my picture on the back of the card."

Sjaastad, who manages a Peppes Pizza restaurant, his drivers license and his Visa card stolen from his car on Saturday night at his father's house. He canceled the card, and reported the theft.

He was training a new driver on Monday, and they delivered the pizzeria's 'Film Package:" a pizza, soft drinks, and the film "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" on DVD.

A man with a credit card answered the door, and clearly did not recognize Sjaastad from the picture embossed on all Norwegian Visa cards.

"I wasn't going to play hero. I'm pretty calm by nature. I just accepted the card and said 'I hope you enjoy the meal,' as we always say," he told The Associated Press.

With the address from the order form in hand, Sjaastad called the police to give an exact location of the suspects.

"I figured they could enjoy the pizza and film, as long as it lasted," he said.

Police arrived about 30 minutes later, arrested three people, and recovered suspected stolen goods, at least some of it Sjaastad's.

"I expect to get my stuff back tomorrow," he said. "This is just great. What you might dream of."

Old 12-06-2005, 06:09 PM   #3
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!
Local Time: 05:07 AM
That's hysterical! I wonder if they did enjoy the pizza and movie?