Newly acquired album reviews

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2popmofo

Blue Meth Addict
I've been trying to think of a way to incorportate ways for people to review albums in one thread. I guess going with reviews for albums that they recently bought is the best way considering those are usualy the albums you have on your mind the most. You dont have to stick to that I guess, let's just see some album reviews from fellow Interferencer's. I'm interested in what you all have to say about different albums, it's interesting to see what music fellow U2 fans like.

Anyways, I just purchased Cee-Lo - Cee-Lo Green and His Perfect Imperfections.

It's a rap/hip-hop album. Cee-lo is a member of the hip hop groups, The Goodie Mob and Dungeon Family. Cee-lo is one of the few hip hop acts who can actually sing as well as he can rap, which makes for a more interesting variety of songs on the album. I kinda relate this album to the niche that music like Outkast fills int he hip hop genre, the "alternative" hip hop niche. This isnt what you'd normally hear on the radio or think of when you think of hip hop, but at the same time it's nothing drastically different either. Cee-Lo tries to work in a lot of '70's style funk music into his songs on this album. I'd recommend this album to anyone who likes Outkast, or likes hip hop but is sick of the kind of crappy hip hop on the radio.

Standout tracks:

Bad Mutha
Closet Freak
Live Right Now
Gettin' Grown
Medieval Times
Country Love
Young Man

Final Thoughts:

I quite like this album. It's good to know that there are a few hip hop acts out there still making interesting music that isnt just your same run of the mill Neptunes/NERD formula production. I'd give this album 4 out of 5 stars for the hip hop genre.

Last edited:
I just realised I can't even remember what the last album I bought was, but I'll review the last one I can remember buying, the Twenty-four-seven soundtrack.

24/7 is a British film which I have never seen, and am not likely to see either. I found the soundtrack in a bargain bin and it looked interesting, so I plonked down six and a half dollars for it.

The song selection is eclectic enough, and since I have not seen the film, I cannot comment on how well they work within the film itself. Highlights include Van Morrison's raucous Wild Night, Beth Orton's lovely cover of I Wish I Never Saw The Sunshine, Nick Drake's wry Fruit Tree, and the Charlatans' excellent North Country Boy.

Insightful liner notes are also provided for those who have seen the film. The director, who also compiled the soundtrack, writes about how he picked each song for which scene. Film times are also written down to show where which song appears in which scene.

There are several downsides, however. I have already mentioned how those who have not seen the film would be disadvantaged. On its own it may appear as a rather badly sequenced mixtape. There are also rather unnecessary instrumental pieces from the film itself, which to be honest are nothing special. Finally, there are a few clunkers, especially Tim Buckley's rather turgid Look At The Fool (and if you're a Buckley fan, I'm sorry, but to me it's a terrible song).

Final Rating: 3.5/5

afi--sing the sorrow

kicks ass. go buy it. NOW. i'm not joking.

Cujo's Musical Review

Upon pressure from u2popmofo and IWB, I decided to post my thoughts on AFI's sixth album... here goes

AFI: Sing the Sorrow

Rob Halford would be proud of this agoraphobia-laced triumph. With a variation of styles ranging from goth punk to ambient overtures, AFI's Sing the Sorrow provides selection for even the most discriminating taste.
The album initiates the listener with, the beginning, a song driven by heavy drums and heavy Pink Floyd influence. It's a pretty good indication of the material to follow, compelling you to join the Despair Faction.
On first listen, you notice that it's not the typical punk album; the lyrics are more spiritual, and the guitar is not the driving force behind the music. Adam Carson and Hunter really spotlight the percussion and rhythm sections, featured in songs like Bleed Black and Death of Seasons. Among the listing, the album contains two bonus tracks with a predominantly vocal performance, along with This Time Imperfect.

Standout tracks:

Bleed Black

Led Zeppelin formula for guitar, with various parts of different styles. Reminiscent of TOOL in terms of the opening guitar riffs and bass lines, juxtaposed with punk-style drumming.

Silver and Cold

Lyrics with reference to sacrifice and longing. Iron Maiden power chords influence the presence of the rhythmic guitar at chorus.

Dancing Through Sunday

Worthy for its guitar solo alone.

Death of Seasons

Probably the hardest of the bunch, with Rammstein-like intro, and Judas Priest body. But most impressive for its mix of techno beats and punk riffs.

Leaving Song

The best of the slow songs; contains the simplest, but most interesting guitar part. Probably Davey's best lyric.

Overall good tunes and good record. Well worth the buy for Davey Havok's vocals and lyrics.

Home may be nowhere for these boys, but they are sure carving a niche in the recently hollow punk genre. The goth punk experiment worked, lets hope it doesn't balloon into a fad.

Turin Brakes- Ether Song

Bought this album two days ago, finally, after hearing the optimist LP i had to have this one. I listened at Borders in the listening station to solidify my choice......:hug:borders:hug:
Excellent album, very solid all around. The first 3 tracks are excellent, great combination of acoustic guitar and harmony vocals. These are the songs I love already.........
Blue Hour
Average Man
Long Distance
Clear Blue Air
also im digging the hidden track....:up:

I give it a 4 out of 5........

check it

White Stripes : Elephant

Ok, you really need to atleast look into this album for yourselves. It's getting hyped left and right among critics, and in a lot of ways it's deserving of the hype. This is a VERY rockin' album!!! It's a far more polished record than previous efforts were in my opinion, they've even incorportated some bass playing into quite a few of the songs. This is really a stronger album than their previous, White Blood Cells, in my opinion. Atleast do yourselves a favor and look into it.

Standouts:

Seven Nation Army
Black Math
In the Cold, Cold, Night
Ball and Biscuit
The Hardest Button to Button
Girl, You Have No Faith in Medicine
Well It's True That We Love One Another

I'll give it a 4/5

Last edited:
AFI - Open Your Mouth, and Shut Your Eyes

This album came out in 1997. This is considered by many to be the first AFI album to begin playing with goth imagry/lyrics. This album is for the most part strictly old school hardcore punk music wise. 14 songs coming in at 28 mins total, you cant get much more old school punk than that. This album is quite a bit better than the 2 AFI albums preceding it, but is also quite a bit weaker than ALL of the AFI albums that have followed it.

Standout Tracks:

Keeping Out of Direct Sunlight
A Single Second
Let It Be Broke
Third Season (best song on the album, an AFI classic)
Triple Zero

Overall - 3/5 stars for the hardcore punk genre.

AFI - All Hallows E.P.

This has to be one of my favorite E.P.'s ever. 4 songs: Fall Children, Halloween (The Misfits cover song), The Boy Who Destroyed the World, and Totalimmortal. The whole thing clocks in at 12 mins, but these 4 songs are definitly worth the $5. This E.P.'s theme is, you guessed it: Halloween. Fall Children, along with The Misfits' Halloween, have to be 2 of the best songs ever written about the holiday. Fantastic artwork, fantastic songs.

Standout tracks:

Fall Children
Totalimmortal

Rating: 4/5 stars for a Punk Rock EP

stiff little fingers. recorded live 8th april 1981, paris theater, london, england.

track listing:
1. roots, radicals, rockers & reggae
2. just fade away
3. safe as houses
4. gate 49
5. hits & misses
6. the only one
7. silver lining
8. piccadilly circus

roots...is ALWAYS a great song. ALWAYS. just fade away i've yet to hear the studio version, but this is the second live version i've heard. i like this one better than the one on the 'no sleep 'til belfast' cd. never heard 'safe as houses' before, liked it very much. same with gate 49. hits & misses was ok, same as piccadilly circus. silver lining and the only one were both very cool, although i've heard better versions

3.5/5 stars

I aquired this one a few months ago but I have to mention it anyway, as it is still new considering.

Machine Gun Fellatio - Paging Mr. Strike

This album is the shiznittobombsnipsnapsally.

There is nothing more to be said.

Dropkick Murphys - Live on St. Patrick's Day

I will have to agree with the All Music Guides review of this album where they state: "Live on St. Patrick's Day From Boston, MA is one of the best of the breed."

This is easily one of the best live albums I've heard in a long, long time. It rocks my proverbial "Casbah". 26 songs, over 70 mins of music. Well worth the monely. Any fan of punk rock would be a complete idiot not to buy this cd.

Stand out tracks:

Boys on the Docks
Road of the Righteous
Upstarts & Broken Hearts
The Gauntlet
Forever
Good Rats
Finnegan's Wake
etc, etc, etc

Rating : This album gets 5/5 stars for a "live" album.

Pixies - "Doolittle"

I'm so angry that it took my until I was 25 to hear any of this band's albums. After my first listen to "Doolittle" I thought to myself, "Now I need to go buy the rest of the Pixies' albums".

Every single song is great/perfect. Holy crap is this a good album. Believe me when I say that if you like alternative music, you'll most definitly like this album. Actually, you wont like it. You'll love it.

Standout tracks:

Debaser
Wave of Mutilation
Here Comes Your Man
Monkey Gone to Heaven
No. 13 Baby
Silver
Gouge Away

Rating 5/5 stars for rock music

Last edited:
u2popmofo said:
Dropkick Murphys - Live on St. Patrick's Day

I will have to agree with the All Music Guides review of this album where they state: "Live on St. Patrick's Day From Boston, MA is one of the best of the breed."

This is easily one of the best live albums I've heard in a long, long time. It rocks my proverbial "Casbah". 26 songs, over 70 mins of music. Well worth the monely. Any fan of punk rock would be a complete idiot not to buy this cd.

Stand out tracks:

Boys on the Docks
Road of the Righteous
Upstarts & Broken Hearts
The Gauntlet
Forever
Good Rats
Finnegan's Wake
etc, etc, etc

Rating : This album gets 5/5 stars for a "live" album.

:up: "74 minutes of blue collar music for a blue collar price"---that's what the sticker on my cd said when i bought it.

The Postal Service- Give Up

4.5 out of 5

The 80's and synth pop are back in a big way with this release from Ben Gibbard (Death Cab for Cutie) and Jimmy Tamborello(dntel). The first 2 tracks are stellar, these two alone helped make my decision to buy this album alot easier. I guess it makes sense that all music is eventually recycled in some way. Whats surprising about this is that it is quality stuff.!
other tracks

1. the district sleeps alone tonight *****
2. such great heights *****
3. sleeping in ***
4. nothing better ** (duet with female vocals 80's style)
5. recycled air ****
6. clark gable *****
7. we will become silouhouettes ****
8. this place is a prison *
9. brand new colony **
10. national anthem **

:up:

This album rules. I remember when i first got it i was blown away by how good it was

u2popmofo said:
Pixies - "Doolittle"

I'm so angry that it took my until I was 25 to hear any of this band's albums. After my first listen to "Doolittle" I thought to myself, "Now I need to go buy the rest of the Pixies' albums".

Every single song is great/perfect. Holy crap is this a good album. Believe me when I say that if you like alternative music, you'll most definitly like this album. Actually, you wont like it. You'll love it.

Standout tracks:

Debaser
Wave of Mutilation
Here Comes Your Man
Monkey Gone to Heaven
No. 13 Baby
Silver
Gouge Away

Rating 5/5 stars for rock music

Long Gone Before Daylight: The Cardigans

Beautiful pop coupled with traces of alt. country. Obviously drawing from Nina Persson's time in "A Camp" The Cardigans put out their most coherent album since "First Band On The Moon." Whereas 1997's "Gran Turismo" had a cold production to it, this new album is very warm, almost giving the listener the feeling of being in the studio/vocal booth with the band. Rich harmonies, textured guitars and and tight backing band all help to make this their finest hour. Working with Mark Linkous of Sparklehorse on her solo album "A Camp" has had a great effect on Nina. And her bandmates were wise to follow her lead. I know lots of people write them off as a one hit wonder with their 1995 hit "Lovefool" you'd be sorely wrong to not pick up this album. Great songs, great production. Hopefully this has rejuvinated the band enough to not make this their last album.

4.5 stars out of 5

Last edited:
World Without Tears: Lucinda Williams

While many considered Car Wheels on a Gravel Road and Essence as definitive statements of arrival for Lucinda Williams as a pop star, she "arrived" creatively with her self-titled album in 1984 and opened up a further world of possibilities with Sweet Old World. The latter two records merely cemented a reputation that was well-deserved from the outset, though they admittedly confused some of her earliest fans. World Without Tears is the most immediate, unpolished album she's done since Sweet Old World. In addition, it is simply the bravest, most emotionally wrenching record she's ever issued. It offers unflinching honesty regarding the paradoxes inherent in love as both a necessary force for fulfillment and a destructive one when embraced unconsciously. Fans of her more polished, emotionally yearning material may have a hard time here because there isn't one track ? of 13 ? that isn't right from the gut, ripped open, bleeding, and stripped of metaphors and literary allusions; they're all cut with the fineness of a stiletto slicing through white bone into the heart's blood. World Without Tears is, among other things, predominantly about co-dependent, screwed-up love. It's about relationships that begin seemingly innocently and well-intentioned and become overwhelmingly powerful emotionally and transcendent sexually, until the moment where a fissure happens, baggage gets dumped in the space between lovers, and they turn in on themselves, becoming twisted and destructive ? where souls get scorched and bodies feel the addictive, obsessive need to be touched by a now absent other. The whole experience burns to ashes; it becomes a series of tattoos disguised as scars. The experience is lived through with shattering pain and bewilderment until wrinkled wisdom emerges on the other side. Most of Williams' albums have one song that deals with this theme, but with the exception of a couple of songs, here they all do.
Musically, this is the hardest-rocking record she's ever released, though almost half the songs are ballads. Her road band ? on record with her for the first time ? cut this one live from the studio floor adding keyboards and assorted sonic textures later. The energy here just crackles. Sure, there's gorgeous country and folk music here. "Ventura," with its lilting verse and lap steel whining in the background, is a paean to be swallowed up in the ocean of love's embrace. In fact, it's downright prosaic until she gets to the last verse: "Stand in the shower to clean this dirty mess/Give me back my power and drown this unholiness/Lean over the toilet bowl and throw up my confession/Cleanse my soul of this hidden obsession." The melodic frame is still moving, but the tune reverses itself: It's no longer a broken-hearted ballad, but a statement of purpose and survival. "Fruits of My Labor" is a straight-ahead country song. Williams shimmers with her lyric, her want pouring from her mouth like raw dripping honey. Her words are a poetry of want: "I traced your scent through the gloom/Till I found these purple flowers/I was spent, I was soon smelling you for hours...I've been trying to enjoy all the fruits of my labor/I've been cryin' for you boy, but truth is my savior." One can hear the grain of Loretta Lynn's voice, with an intent so pure and unadorned. But the muck and mire of "Righteously," with its open six-string squall, is pure rock. It's an exhortation to a lover that he need not prove his manhood by being aloof, but to "be the man you ought to tenderly/Stand up for me." Doug Pettibone's overdriven, crunching guitar solo quotes both Duane Allman and Jimi Hendrix near the end of the tune. "Real Live Bleeding Fingers and Broken Guitar Strings" is a Rolling Stones-style country-rocker with a lyric so poignant it need not be quoted here. "Over Time," a tome about getting through the heartbreak of a ruined relationship, could have been produced by Daniel Lanois with its warm guitar tremolo and sweet, pure, haunting vocal in front of the mix.

"Those Three Days" may be the most devastating song on the record, with its whimpering lap steel and Williams' half-spoken vocal that questions whether a torrid three-day affair was a lie, a symbolic sacrifice, or the real thing. The protagonist's vulnerability is radical; she feels used, abused ? "Did you only want me for those three days/Did you only need me for those three days/Did you love me forever just for those three days." Yet she holds out hope that there is some other explanation as the questions begin to ask themselves from the depth of a scorched heart and a body touched by something so powerful it feels as if it no longer owns itself. Pettibone's solo screams and rings in the bridge to underline every syllable and emotion. "Atonement" is something else altogether; it's a punkish kind of blues. If the White Stripes jammed with 20 Miles in a big studio it might sound like this, with Williams singing from the depths of a tunnel for a supreme megaphone effect. She growls and shouts and spits her lyrics from the center of the mix. And Taras Prodaniuk's fuzzed-out basement-level gutter bass is the dirtiest, raunchiest thing on record since early Black Sabbath. "Sweet Side" is almost a poem in song, attempts to inspire someone who's been broken by life to accept his goodness. It is not a rap song despite what's been written about it so far. It's more in the tradition of Bob Dylan's early talking blues, but with a modern organic rhythm played by Jim Christie instead of drum loops. In addition, there is the gorgeously tough "People Talking," the most straight-ahead country song Williams has written since "Still I Long for Your Kiss" (from the Horse Whisperer soundtrack, not the version that appears on Car Wheels, which is dull and lifeless by comparison). Here again, Pettibone's guitar and the slippery, skittering shuffle of Christie's drumming carry Williams' voice to a place where she can sing her protagonist's personal, soul-searing truth without restraint.

World Without Tears is a work of art in the Henry James sense; it is "that which can never be repeated." It is as fine an album as she could make at this point in her life ? which is saying plenty. While she has never strayed from her own vision and has made few compromises, this album risks everything she's built up to now. The audience she's won over time ? especially with her last two records ? may find it over the top, which would be too damn bad; it'd be their loss. Hopefully, history will prove that World Without Tears sets a new watermark for Williams, and is an album so thoroughly ahead of its time in the way it embraces, and even flaunts, love's contradictions and paradoxes ? the same way the human heart does. It is this writer's hope that people will be listening to and learning from it for years to come.

4.5 stars out of 5

Last edited:
Hail To The Thief: Radiohead

Full review to come on June 10th.

HOWEVER:

Unmixed/unmastered version of the album receives

5 stars out of 5

Yeah! Dig that! Yeaaaah! You're all growns up & you're all growns up!

Last edited:
HeadsOnSticks said:

Yeah! Dig that! Yeaaaah! You're all growns up & you're all growns up!

our little boys all growns up now.......

so Im the asshole right??? right???:wink:

good reviews HOS, i need to purchase Lucindas album...

Elvis Presley said:

our little boys all growns up now.......

so Im the asshole right??? right???:wink:

good reviews HOS, i need to purchase Lucindas album...

"That's OK. I would never eat here anyway."

Yeah, pick it up. It makes your heart aches something bad. :up:

daredevils: "hate you"/"rules, hearts" single

it's mr brett's post-bad religion 'band'. only released two songs ("heate you" and "rules, hearts").

"hate you"--probably the better of the two songs. supposedly it's been dedicated to bad religion's bassist jay bently...

"rules, hearts"--i like the song, but for some weird reason i can't help but think the chorus is "rules, hearts and barbeques"...it's really "rules, hearts and promises" heh...

for a 2 song single (and at $1 at the used shop) you can't get too much better than this

Back
Top Bottom