Newly acquired album reviews - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2003, 07:12 PM   #1
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 01:13 PM
Newly acquired album reviews

I've been trying to think of a way to incorportate ways for people to review albums in one thread. I guess going with reviews for albums that they recently bought is the best way considering those are usualy the albums you have on your mind the most. You dont have to stick to that I guess, let's just see some album reviews from fellow Interferencer's. I'm interested in what you all have to say about different albums, it's interesting to see what music fellow U2 fans like.

Anyways, I just purchased Cee-Lo - Cee-Lo Green and His Perfect Imperfections.

It's a rap/hip-hop album. Cee-lo is a member of the hip hop groups, The Goodie Mob and Dungeon Family. Cee-lo is one of the few hip hop acts who can actually sing as well as he can rap, which makes for a more interesting variety of songs on the album. I kinda relate this album to the niche that music like Outkast fills int he hip hop genre, the "alternative" hip hop niche. This isnt what you'd normally hear on the radio or think of when you think of hip hop, but at the same time it's nothing drastically different either. Cee-Lo tries to work in a lot of '70's style funk music into his songs on this album. I'd recommend this album to anyone who likes Outkast, or likes hip hop but is sick of the kind of crappy hip hop on the radio.

Standout tracks:

Bad Mutha
Closet Freak
Live Right Now
Gettin' Grown
Medieval Times
Country Love
Young Man

Final Thoughts:

I quite like this album. It's good to know that there are a few hip hop acts out there still making interesting music that isnt just your same run of the mill Neptunes/NERD formula production. I'd give this album 4 out of 5 stars for the hip hop genre.

Old 03-30-2003, 12:16 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:13 AM
I just realised I can't even remember what the last album I bought was, but I'll review the last one I can remember buying, the Twenty-four-seven soundtrack.

24/7 is a British film which I have never seen, and am not likely to see either. I found the soundtrack in a bargain bin and it looked interesting, so I plonked down six and a half dollars for it.

The song selection is eclectic enough, and since I have not seen the film, I cannot comment on how well they work within the film itself. Highlights include Van Morrison's raucous Wild Night, Beth Orton's lovely cover of I Wish I Never Saw The Sunshine, Nick Drake's wry Fruit Tree, and the Charlatans' excellent North Country Boy.

Insightful liner notes are also provided for those who have seen the film. The director, who also compiled the soundtrack, writes about how he picked each song for which scene. Film times are also written down to show where which song appears in which scene.

There are several downsides, however. I have already mentioned how those who have not seen the film would be disadvantaged. On its own it may appear as a rather badly sequenced mixtape. There are also rather unnecessary instrumental pieces from the film itself, which to be honest are nothing special. Finally, there are a few clunkers, especially Tim Buckley's rather turgid Look At The Fool (and if you're a Buckley fan, I'm sorry, but to me it's a terrible song).

Final Rating: 3.5/5

Old 03-30-2003, 02:23 AM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:13 PM
what i wrotre uscked too much
Old 03-30-2003, 02:25 AM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

afi--sing the sorrow

kicks ass. go buy it. NOW. i'm not joking.
Old 04-01-2003, 04:43 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Cujo's Musical Review

Upon pressure from u2popmofo and IWB, I decided to post my thoughts on AFI's sixth album... here goes

AFI: Sing the Sorrow

Rob Halford would be proud of this agoraphobia-laced triumph. With a variation of styles ranging from goth punk to ambient overtures, AFI's Sing the Sorrow provides selection for even the most discriminating taste.
The album initiates the listener with, the beginning, a song driven by heavy drums and heavy Pink Floyd influence. It's a pretty good indication of the material to follow, compelling you to join the Despair Faction.
On first listen, you notice that it's not the typical punk album; the lyrics are more spiritual, and the guitar is not the driving force behind the music. Adam Carson and Hunter really spotlight the percussion and rhythm sections, featured in songs like Bleed Black and Death of Seasons. Among the listing, the album contains two bonus tracks with a predominantly vocal performance, along with This Time Imperfect.

Standout tracks:

Bleed Black

Led Zeppelin formula for guitar, with various parts of different styles. Reminiscent of TOOL in terms of the opening guitar riffs and bass lines, juxtaposed with punk-style drumming.

Silver and Cold

Lyrics with reference to sacrifice and longing. Iron Maiden power chords influence the presence of the rhythmic guitar at chorus.

Dancing Through Sunday

Worthy for its guitar solo alone.

Death of Seasons

Probably the hardest of the bunch, with Rammstein-like intro, and Judas Priest body. But most impressive for its mix of techno beats and punk riffs.

Leaving Song

The best of the slow songs; contains the simplest, but most interesting guitar part. Probably Davey's best lyric.

Overall good tunes and good record. Well worth the buy for Davey Havok's vocals and lyrics.

Home may be nowhere for these boys, but they are sure carving a niche in the recently hollow punk genre. The goth punk experiment worked, lets hope it doesn't balloon into a fad.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:28 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Turin Brakes- Ether Song

Bought this album two days ago, finally, after hearing the optimist LP i had to have this one. I listened at Borders in the listening station to solidify my choice......borders
Excellent album, very solid all around. The first 3 tracks are excellent, great combination of acoustic guitar and harmony vocals. These are the songs I love already.........
Blue Hour
Average Man
Long Distance
Clear Blue Air
also im digging the hidden track....

I give it a 4 out of 5........

check it
Old 04-02-2003, 02:33 PM   #7
Blue Meth Addict

White Stripes : Elephant

Ok, you really need to atleast look into this album for yourselves. It's getting hyped left and right among critics, and in a lot of ways it's deserving of the hype. This is a VERY rockin' album!!! It's a far more polished record than previous efforts were in my opinion, they've even incorportated some bass playing into quite a few of the songs. This is really a stronger album than their previous, White Blood Cells, in my opinion. Atleast do yourselves a favor and look into it.

Standouts:

Seven Nation Army
Black Math
In the Cold, Cold, Night
Ball and Biscuit
The Hardest Button to Button
Girl, You Have No Faith in Medicine
Well It's True That We Love One Another

I'll give it a 4/5
Old 04-13-2003, 08:20 PM   #8
Blue Meth Addict

AFI - Open Your Mouth, and Shut Your Eyes

This album came out in 1997. This is considered by many to be the first AFI album to begin playing with goth imagry/lyrics. This album is for the most part strictly old school hardcore punk music wise. 14 songs coming in at 28 mins total, you cant get much more old school punk than that. This album is quite a bit better than the 2 AFI albums preceding it, but is also quite a bit weaker than ALL of the AFI albums that have followed it.

Standout Tracks:

Keeping Out of Direct Sunlight
A Single Second
Let It Be Broke
Third Season (best song on the album, an AFI classic)
Triple Zero

Overall - 3/5 stars for the hardcore punk genre.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:56 PM   #9
Blue Meth Addict

AFI - All Hallows E.P.

This has to be one of my favorite E.P.'s ever. 4 songs: Fall Children, Halloween (The Misfits cover song), The Boy Who Destroyed the World, and Totalimmortal. The whole thing clocks in at 12 mins, but these 4 songs are definitly worth the $5. This E.P.'s theme is, you guessed it: Halloween. Fall Children, along with The Misfits' Halloween, have to be 2 of the best songs ever written about the holiday. Fantastic artwork, fantastic songs.

Standout tracks:

Fall Children
Totalimmortal

Rating: 4/5 stars for a Punk Rock EP
Old 04-22-2003, 01:25 AM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

stiff little fingers. recorded live 8th april 1981, paris theater, london, england.

track listing:
1. roots, radicals, rockers & reggae
2. just fade away
3. safe as houses
4. gate 49
5. hits & misses
6. the only one
7. silver lining
8. piccadilly circus

roots...is ALWAYS a great song. ALWAYS. just fade away i've yet to hear the studio version, but this is the second live version i've heard. i like this one better than the one on the 'no sleep 'til belfast' cd. never heard 'safe as houses' before, liked it very much. same with gate 49. hits & misses was ok, same as piccadilly circus. silver lining and the only one were both very cool, although i've heard better versions

3.5/5 stars
Old 04-22-2003, 03:51 AM   #11
Refugee

Local Time: 04:13 AM
I aquired this one a few months ago but I have to mention it anyway, as it is still new considering.

Machine Gun Fellatio - Paging Mr. Strike

This album is the shiznittobombsnipsnapsally.

There is nothing more to be said.
Old 04-22-2003, 04:04 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Sweet sassy molassey an alliterative masterpiece.
Old 04-28-2003, 12:10 AM   #13
Blue Meth Addict

Dropkick Murphys - Live on St. Patrick's Day

I will have to agree with the All Music Guides review of this album where they state: "Live on St. Patrick's Day From Boston, MA is one of the best of the breed."

This is easily one of the best live albums I've heard in a long, long time. It rocks my proverbial "Casbah". 26 songs, over 70 mins of music. Well worth the monely. Any fan of punk rock would be a complete idiot not to buy this cd.

Stand out tracks:

Boys on the Docks
Road of the Righteous
Upstarts & Broken Hearts
The Gauntlet
Forever
Good Rats
Finnegan's Wake
etc, etc, etc

Rating : This album gets 5/5 stars for a "live" album.
Old 04-28-2003, 12:16 AM   #14
Blue Meth Addict

Pixies - "Doolittle"

I'm so angry that it took my until I was 25 to hear any of this band's albums. After my first listen to "Doolittle" I thought to myself, "Now I need to go buy the rest of the Pixies' albums".

Every single song is great/perfect. Holy crap is this a good album. Believe me when I say that if you like alternative music, you'll most definitly like this album. Actually, you wont like it. You'll love it.

Standout tracks:

Debaser
Wave of Mutilation
Here Comes Your Man
Monkey Gone to Heaven
No. 13 Baby
Silver
Gouge Away

Rating 5/5 stars for rock music
Old 04-28-2003, 12:29 AM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo
Dropkick Murphys - Live on St. Patrick's Day

I will have to agree with the All Music Guides review of this album where they state: "Live on St. Patrick's Day From Boston, MA is one of the best of the breed."

This is easily one of the best live albums I've heard in a long, long time. It rocks my proverbial "Casbah". 26 songs, over 70 mins of music. Well worth the monely. Any fan of punk rock would be a complete idiot not to buy this cd.

Stand out tracks:

Boys on the Docks
Road of the Righteous
Upstarts & Broken Hearts
The Gauntlet
Forever
Good Rats
Finnegan's Wake
etc, etc, etc

Rating : This album gets 5/5 stars for a "live" album.

"74 minutes of blue collar music for a blue collar price"---that's what the sticker on my cd said when i bought it.