New Zealand wins AUSTRALIAN Rules World Championships

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Angela, there's one thing you should probably know: recently Tim posted a list of pretty decent length of things he likes about Australia in his LiveJournal. In return, I could only come up with six things. If you should have a go at anyone for anti-Australian sentiment, it's me.

:lol:

Sweet. Glad we cleared the air.

I do have to say though... there is nothing that irritates me more than an Australian who is disloyal and says "I support the All Blacks, the Haka is cool". I would much rather Australians blindly (for lack of a better word) support their country despite the fact we disagree on many issues. So props :wink:

I would never be too negative on Australia... how can I hate a country that is so kind to give me a nice pay out every fortnight?... :drool:

timothius said:
I do have to say though... there is nothing that irritates me more than an Australian who is disloyal and says "I support the All Blacks, the Haka is cool". I would much rather Australians blindly (for lack of a better word) support their country despite the fact we disagree on many issues. So props :wink:

Has someone forgotten about his mother?

I personally love it when we suck Australians over to the black side.

Axver said:

Has someone forgotten about his mother?

I personally love it when we suck Australians over to the black side.

I don't mind it if their is reasons... i.e you convert your wife/husband/child/parent/cousin whatever... but converting because you "like the colour black", "the haka is cool" or "Daniel Vettori is hot omg i want him soo bad" is pretty weak. Mum "converted" because she liked people like Flem, Jeff Wilson and Stacey Jones and what they stood for as much as she disagreed with people like Ponting, Wendell Sailor and Shane Warne and what they stood for.

Doesn't the Haka translate to 'we will kill you' or something? :lol: I cant find that cool, but it does make me pee myself when the All-Blacks do it :D I dont think laughter is the correct response though, but I only barrack for you lot when you're playing France or South Africa or something. It's a heirarchy of allegiance :lol:

And thanks Axver. I dont actually want to have a go at anyone though, I'm just pissed today for some stupid things (I forgot to put my tips in and actually picked a really good round) and I also got sunburnt driving and turned my hair yellow in a dyeing accident. :der:

All this said though, apart from our accents, is there much of a difference even between our countries? Seems to be marginal, if any. Although...I do have to say, that tv show Motorway Patrol is the funniest shit ever. Those people who get pulled over! :lmao: I guess we'd be no different though, our police just dont seem to care as much. Pity really, we have some full on dicks driving around. :tsk:

:up:

timothius said:

I don't mind it if their is reasons... i.e you convert your wife/husband/child/parent/cousin whatever... but converting because you "like the colour black", "the haka is cool" or "Daniel Vettori is hot omg i want him soo bad" is pretty weak. Mum "converted" because she liked people like Flem, Jeff Wilson and Stacey Jones and what they stood for as much as she disagreed with people like Ponting, Wendell Sailor and Shane Warne and what they stood for.

Ah, right, yes. It annoys me when people convert for shallow reasons too, though if they become genuine supporters out of it, who am I to object? We both know the black side is the best side!

Angela Harlem said:
I only barrack for you lot when you're playing France or South Africa or something. It's a heirarchy of allegiance :lol:

My entire philosophy can be summed up in one of my favourite LiveJournal icons:

And thanks Axver. I dont actually want to have a go at anyone though, I'm just pissed today for some stupid things (I forgot to put my tips in and actually picked a really good round) and I also got sunburnt driving and turned my hair yellow in a dyeing accident. :der:

You talk about yellow hair like it's a bad thing. :wink: Well, I hope the rest of your day doesn't have any more silly things!

Now, being fair, I probably have gone overboard with my criticism of Australia lately, though I think my attention has now turned to America and its shit sports. I'm normally entirely joking (when it comes to Australia) but my warped sense of humour doesn't always make that readily apparent. Of course, my two favourite countries to have a joking go at are Australia and the US, and my girlfriend's half-Australian and half-American. Don't you feel sorry for the poor girl?

And as far as trans-Tasman differences go, the biggest difference is this: New Zealand is actually good at rugby. :wink:

(Couldn't help myself.)

Angela Harlem said:
olive branches :up:

Ok. Perhaps I am misreading your comments, I'll accept that. All I have seen is you either mocking Australian teams and our sport, or being outright insulting to the country I happen to call home. The funny thing is, if anyone else did it, it wouldn't bother me at all, but because of how so many of us view you lot over there, it has seemed out of place. More negative than friendly rivalry or something. I cant honestly say there is any serious animosity between our countries, if anything it is like a sibling relationship. If you do happen to think we're not so bad, I'm pleased. But to constantly hear how you guys reckon we are a bunch of losers is getting very annoying, especially considering that in terms of sport and capability, our 2 countries in terms of size are probably 2 of the greatest in the world. We've got bugger all population between us, and yet we are no wallflowers. Lets take cricket for example. I've been thoroughly bored with the sport for about the last 10 years. We've had no competition and the sport has suffered. I've always tried very hard to never gloat about it for 2 reasons 1. Because there is no point when the wins seemed so...mundane, and we were so complacent. and 2. Because it just isn't sporting to be a bad sport when you are either on top or on the bottom. Ie, if you're on the top, you don't put down the rest. If you're on the bottom, you hope that people will return that favour. Friendly jabbing is one thing, but being unsportsman-like is something else again. Take your AFL thread. As lighthearted as it is, bring one of your regional teams over or even your national side to play against either the Eagles, the Crows or even the Swans. Mate, we'd wipe the floor with you guys. Our teams are in the midst of finals build up. I dont know who exactly played in this comp you posted about, perhaps it was some of our club players but I do doubt it would be many. Something is telling me the coaches aren't willing to risk injuries and so on this late in the season for some mock-up game between you guys and us. To preen over that is like us swanning about every time we win the cricket and flipping the bird to the poms and saying "we beat you at your own sport! Hahaha!" It's like, 'who cares?'

Anyway, I'm rambling on now. I might be imagining it, but it has seemed if it cant involve knocking Australia, you have no comment. BEG (i think it was) posted something very similar to what you have done nothing but recently (though more negative at times, you have to admit!), and you seemed to get truly annoyed. No one wants that, we all have to play fair. So I'm happy for an olice branch. :) I'll be a lot more relaxed once the semis are over for the AFL and I can get a better idea of where we'll finish. I'm not being the most rational person lately!
:shifty:

What she said. I extend the olice branch too, and hope for more good natured sending up. God knows there's way more mileage yet! :wink:

These few sport threads are my favourite on IF at the moment :hmm: Lurve the sending up, don't like any nastiness so if I have been horrid to anyone, then please accept my apologies.

Now, back to the cricket/rugby/afl/timtam/set list/finn/crowdedhouse/splitenz/huntersandcollectors/platypus(myfavouritenanimal)/anything else you would care to mention threads :up:

Back
Top Bottom