New York Doll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diamond

ONE love, blood, life
See this movie.

What critics and reviewers have said thus far:

"New York Doll" is a fascinating study of a man who once had fame and fortune and lost it all, but was able to get a second chance once he found God

---------------------------------------------------------------

Greg Whiteley’s New York Doll could have been served as a VH-1: Behind the Music catastrophe about the life of New York Dolls bassist Arthur “Killer” Kane. But instead, the misfortune and heartbreak is kept to a palatable level, with Whiteley letting Kane’s unbelievable and unlikely story of redemption – which, frankly, is a mélange of Shakespeare and a Greek tragedy – stay the center of this documentary’s focus.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rightfully cheered by audiences at both the 2005 Sundance Film Festival and the recent Los Angeles Film Festival, Greg Whiteley's "New York Doll" is one of those rare documentaries that begins right and ends even better, providence endowing an already compelling project with even more remarkable real-life twists and turns along the way to a conclusion that rivals even the most imaginative fiction.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
MORRISEY.jpg
f821214a.jpg
Bob_Geldof_186088c.jpg

DeadMansParty said:
Great thread Diamond, I loved this film!
DMP-

yes yes a great piece of art..:)

what ppl have said that watched this movie:

NEW YORK DOLL

Running time: 73 minutes. Rated PG-13 (profanity). At the Angelika, Houston and Mercer streets.

GREG Whitley's "New York Doll" is a surprisingly sweet and inspiring documentary about Arthur "Killer" Kane, the bass player for one of the most notorious and influential punk/glam rock bands, the New York Dolls

--------------------------------------
Yahoo! Users:
Grade=A-

Inspirational !!!
by citygirl58 (movies profile) (Nov 1, 2005)
3 of 3 people found this review helpful

I went to see "New York Doll" expecting to see a Rock documentary. Instead I found the movie to be a touching and heartfelt look at a former rock stars

A must see
by larsonscottbennett1974 (movies profile) Nov 5, 2005
3 of 3 people found this review helpful

This documentary was great. It was unique as it was actually about Killer Kane. It was not about the Dolls, and it was not about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) which is the Church Killer joined. The movie truly was his life. So many of these only focus on the music or the addiction or whatever it is that made the person famous. This was honest and heartfelt an told Arthurs story.

I would strongly recomend this movie.

Overall Grade: A+

Story: A+

Acting: A

Direction: A+

Visuals: A+

Extraordinary Juxtaposition
by crmutah (movies profile) Nov 3, 2005
2 of 2 people found this review helpful

What an amazing story! I knew the film was a documentary about Arthur "Killer" Kane as a Punk rocker and as a Mormon church librarian but I didn't expect to laugh as often or as hard as I did. At the same time you can't watch this film without wanting to cheer for this man doing his best to achieve his dreams and to find peace.
Although this film has ups and downs it leaves you feeling good.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall Grade: A

Story: A-

Acting: A

David%20Bowie%20-%20Ziggy.jpg

Direction: A

Visuals: A+

Must see
by pjrmn (movies profile) Nov 10, 2005
1 of 1 people found this review helpful

I was a sceptic when I went, and was feeling a lot of pressures since there was a group of about of ten, who joined me to see the film. Everyone really enjoyed it, and talked at length after the film about it.

----------------------------------------------------

johansen.jpg
buster.jpg
ch98.jpg
1057799207_sziggyquiz.jpg
B-W-0041b.jpg
killerkane.jpg

Arthur "Killer" Kane, bass player for the New York Dolls, is dead at 55. There are conflicting reports concerning the cause of death. Both reports cite "complications," one from leukemia, one from pneumonia. This comes at a particularly sad time, as the Dolls were staging something of a comeback, reuniting for long time fan Morrissey's recent UK tour. An album of new material was also planned to be released later this year. It is not yet known whether the band will continue.

db9

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom