New Year's Resolutions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tone up and lose 15 lbs by August. If so, I get to buy myself a new camera and a really nice dress :D. This involves quitting soda, no snacking after 8pm, and actually eating breakfast.

Liesje said:
Tone up and lose 15 lbs by August.

Me too! I need to squeeze myself into a skimpy sari for a wedding at the end of August.

anitram said:

Me too! I need to squeeze myself into a skimpy sari for a wedding at the end of August.

You should join our club, lol. We made a blog so we can all jeer at each other and call ourselves fat. Phil's mom and sis (the one getting married) are doing it with me. Phil's other sis already lost weight training for a marathon so she is "the motivator".

I'm online shopping for a used elliptical trainer. I can't afford a gym membership around here (and likely wouldn't go) and our gym at school/work is under construction for another year.

That's awesome! The club sounds great, haha!

I have access to a gym at school and the firm pays in the summer time, which is nice. I was subletting from a friend this summer who had an elliptical in her living room and I loved that beast! Seriously an awesome workout and I found that it was really a lot better for my knees than the treadmill (or even worse, running on pavement).

I'm doing a 10k in April. I hope to at least be able to run half and walk half, if not run the entire thing. I'm not expecting anything incredible time-wise - I'm doing it because I've always wanted to do this.

anitram said:
That's awesome! The club sounds great, haha!

I have access to a gym at school and the firm pays in the summer time, which is nice. I was subletting from a friend this summer who had an elliptical in her living room and I loved that beast! Seriously an awesome workout and I found that it was really a lot better for my knees than the treadmill (or even worse, running on pavement).

See I just plain refuse to run. I have arthritis in my foot, among other foot problems. I had a pinched nerve in my lower back which caused me to stop tumbling and I see no reason to aggravate that old injury. I have super dry skin in the winter so if I run, the combination of dry air, chafing, and vibration makes my entire body turns beet red and I get little hives all over and itch. I run so slow that I'd be better off speed walking, seriously. However, on the elliptical I can get into a rhythm without being in pain or itching all over and I can easily do it hard for an hour. Also, there's so much ice build-up right now that it's just not safe to run here unless you're planning on putting climbing spikes on your shoes or something. We can't even walk our dogs right now.

I figure it's more worth it to spend a few hundred on a decent used elliptical that I WILL actually use every day (we had one in my college house) rather than spend more than that on gym memberships that I probably won't fully utilize. By the time our school/work gym is finished, we will hopefully be living in another state. Right now, we have so little equipment you have to sign up to use the popular stuff like ellipticals in advance, and I'd rather have something of my own so I can just do it when I feel like it. I'm also looking into treadmills. I don't like them as much, but I can run Kenya on a treadmill and tone her up faster. There is a test for German Shepherds that's part of the German training programs. You run your dog 12 miles non-stop (you bike, dog runs) and you get an "AD" certification for the dog (means something having to do with endurance). Since I can't bike with a foot of snow on the ground I'm not sure how else to train the dog besides put her on a treadmill.

Phil has to lose 30 lbs but he's a guy so honestly I think it will be easier for him than my 15.

Liesje said:

Phil has to lose 30 lbs but he's a guy so honestly I think it will be easier for him than my 15.

It's very true. The hardest thing is to lose those last few pounds, or for us to tone up. They are really pesky.

I actually managed to shed 8 earlier this year, until I spent a week being wined and dined and not having time to work out and after that, it just all went to hell. My favourite workout is to actually hit the stairs. I used to have access to the football stadium but it's winter now, so I run in my building. It's a 7-storey, so I go up and down about 7-8 times for a really good cardio work out 3 times a week and then I'll try to hit the weights on the off days. Stair running is the fastest way to shed pounds, I've found, except that it is really, really hard on the knees and ankles so I wouldn't necessarily recommend it.

Get back in shape and be less lazy. Stop going to bed at 3 or 4 and sleep all day...really need to stop that! Get my grades up. And maybe cut off on the chocolate. But I'm not guarantying that...;)

Liesje said:

See I just plain refuse to run. I have arthritis in my foot, among other foot problems. I had a pinched nerve in my lower back...

Nagging injuries/pains are so annoying. I injured my ankle on two occasions when I was younger...it affected everything for a while - my balance, back, and especially my attitude! I get really grumpy when everything's not working as it should. Have you ever tried using a rowing machine? It could possibly strengthen your back, if used correctly. I use a rower called a Concept 2, and I'm completely addicted to it. The pinched nerve issue could overrule using it in your case, but I'm amazed how it's given me more overall strength in my legs, arms, pretty much everything. It really focuses on the entire body...and gives you stamina for other sports/activities. I went snowshoeing today with my family, and had one of the best days of my life. I felt like an astronaut, bouncing around in zero gravity. I remember thinking this is all due to the rowing machine, while secretly smiling at the huffing and puffing of my sister and aunt. :wink:

My resolution: even though I delight in showing-up my family, which is sad in itself, I had a realization today that great moments with them are fleeting. I'd like to spend more time with them, and travel to see them more regularly than I have been doing.

LemonMelon said:
To stop going to bed at 3 AM. :crack:

I'm definitely aiming for that one. The funny thing about staying up late: music always sounds that much better. Still haven't figured out why.

angelordevil said:

The funny thing about staying up late: music always sounds that much better. Still haven't figured out why.

True! That's why I lay on the ground all night listening to my CDs!

My mantra for the last month or so has been new year, new job.
To get there, though, I know I need to get back with yoga and get myself totally healthy. With my physical, spiritual, emotional and mental stuff on a better track, all the other stuff (job, money, adventure, boys) will come.

My resolution is to not make any resolutions I cannot keep.

So, following that resolution, I'm not making any other ones.

angelordevil said:

I'm definitely aiming for that one. The funny thing about staying up late: music always sounds that much better. Still haven't figured out why.

Just speaking for myself, I'm simply more forgiving late at night. It's like a really weak buzz of sorts. Makes everything sound brilliant.

Of course, feeling like crap after waking up at noon is the price. :angry:

I just want to lose the weight I've gained this year at school and maybe about 5-10 pounds more. But I'll be happy if I can just shed what I gained since last year at this time. I think I gained about 10-15 :scream: It's hard to walk into a culinary school and not gain weight. Especially if you have to try fattening desserts all the time to make sure you used the right flavorings. So....I want that weight gone once I finish school because I have too many clothes that I would love to be able to wear again.

St Patricks Day is in March. unless I was pregnant or something I can't imagine that day passing without me having a drink.

Losing weight, more traveling, more concerts, theatre, museum ... simply more of arts and culture, more communication with my friends, more reading and writing, music ... I also want to move to another apartment, because mine has became too small for all my books and CD's ... there will also be some new developments for me professionally.

There is so much I want to do, if only some of the things I plan are realised, I'm happy. I have to say, 2007 was mostly a great year.

i haven't made a resolution in about 5 years, but this year i am.... i hope to lose some weight, create some sort of balance in my life (even if only a little), do some personal development things for myself that i enjoy vs. sitting in front of the tv, and save some money. :D

Back
Top Bottom