New WTC Designs---> - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 12-19-2002, 12:06 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 06:57 AM
New WTC Designs--->

So what do y'all think.

Understand this is not a competition, nor a formal request for proposals, but the 7 teams asked to submit designs have done so this week and they are all over the NYC papers as well as many websites. I think the best so far has been in the New York Times - check out today's edition on their website.

I have to say my favorite as of yet is Sir Norman Foster's design as it pretty much encompases what I think the site should eventually look like, even if I do not fully agree with his tower design asthetic. I also have to say that my firm is one of the 7 teams, but I will not comment on our submission as I find serious fault in it. Oh well, I had nothing to do with it...

---quiet Thursday here

Old 12-19-2002, 12:24 PM   #2
love, blood, life
Local Time: 06:57 AM

the norman foster one is the one i liked the most too. i saw it on tv yesterday. i think it's beautiful and has lots of memorial space.

the s.o.m. one is cool too. that's yours isn't it ouizy?

here's the nyt article if anyone is interested.

Old 12-19-2002, 06:55 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 04:57 AM
Interesting changes from the original sets of designs. I always thought any reconstruction should be the crown jewel of the Manhattan skyline.
Old 12-20-2002, 02:31 AM   #4
Local Time: 05:57 AM
Originally posted by nbcrusader
I always thought any reconstruction should be the crown jewel of the Manhattan skyline.
Me too. I think that part of restoring normalcy to NYC includes placing the tallest part of the skyline back where it was before.

The irony of the WTC is that prior to 9/11, New Yorkers, as well as most other people, didn't take much interest in the buildings. They were architectural masterpieces for being able to create so much office space inside, but most people saw them as bland and unoriginal. Most tourists still preferred to visit the Empire State Building. The replacement buildings won't make people forget the WTC, but they should stake a place in the hearts of New Yorkers.