New WTC Designs--->

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ouizy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
So what do y'all think.

Understand this is not a competition, nor a formal request for proposals, but the 7 teams asked to submit designs have done so this week and they are all over the NYC papers as well as many websites. I think the best so far has been in the New York Times - check out today's edition on their website.

I have to say my favorite as of yet is Sir Norman Foster's design as it pretty much encompases what I think the site should eventually look like, even if I do not fully agree with his tower design asthetic. I also have to say that my firm is one of the 7 teams, but I will not comment on our submission as I find serious fault in it. Oh well, I had nothing to do with it...

---quiet Thursday here

Interesting changes from the original sets of designs. I always thought any reconstruction should be the crown jewel of the Manhattan skyline.

nbcrusader said:
I always thought any reconstruction should be the crown jewel of the Manhattan skyline.

Me too. I think that part of restoring normalcy to NYC includes placing the tallest part of the skyline back where it was before.

The irony of the WTC is that prior to 9/11, New Yorkers, as well as most other people, didn't take much interest in the buildings. They were architectural masterpieces for being able to create so much office space inside, but most people saw them as bland and unoriginal. Most tourists still preferred to visit the Empire State Building. The replacement buildings won't make people forget the WTC, but they should stake a place in the hearts of New Yorkers.

Back
Top Bottom