New Tracks on Compilations - Which ones hold their own?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I just finished watching the Placebo Once More With Feeling DVD and thought about what a great song "Twenty Years" is. It's better than some of the earlier singles from the band and holds its own against their very best. What other songs do you think do this? The first immediate example that comes to me is "Mary Jane's Last Dance" from Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' Greatest Hits. That song is now a Petty classic, and I believe was the "mandatory" new material on a retrospective.

Nothing springs to mind.

'There By The Grace Of God' and 'Door To The River' are nice songs, but unlike HG and mofo I don't really consider them the Manics' best.

Likewise 'Electrical Storm'; sure it's got a stupid lyric about a truck but it's got some nice guitar in it but it's hardly U2's greatest song.

So in short, I dunno.

Billy Joel's Greatest Hits Vol. 1 and 2 had two new songs "You're Only Human" and "The Night Is Still Young", and while they don't match up to some of his earlier work, they were both Top 40 hits and are worthy of inclusion.

And I hate to bring up Bon Jovi, but their Crossroad CD had "Always" become a massive hit.

Back
Top Bottom