New Tori Amos record - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2005, 08:03 PM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:45 PM
http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/ar..._id=1000768741

Similar to Amos' 2002 Epic debut, "Scarlet's Walk," the new album revolves around a theme suggested by its title. The 19 songs are divided among six "gardens" that represent the emotional life of the album's female character.

The set was recorded in Cornwall with frequent collaborators Matt Chamberlain (drums) and Jon Evans (bass). Mac Aladdin provided percussion and a gospel choir appears on some tracks. Amos also tapped Irish singer/songwriter Damien Rice to counter her vocals on one track, "The Power of Orange Knickers."

"We had great fun," Amos tells Billboard.com of recording with Rice. "If you have a song called 'The Power of Orange Knickers' [then] you've got to have the other. I felt a guy singing that line was exciting."

Old 01-20-2005, 10:12 PM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
Tori's frock

Wooo

I still like her first album best. Little Earthquakes on Vinyl, bought more than 10 years ago, one of my first albums.

Lately, some of her stuff is a little too .. well, how you call it.. I mean, Tori style, far off, she seems ...proud? of her voice at times, always stretching all the syllables which reduces her expression qualities (excuse me.. I am a fan, but also a producer)

I definitely like her version of Happiness is a warm gun - especially the end.

Hmmm maybe I also need to get an update on slsk. Haven´t heard Scarlet´s Walk as of yet, methinks. However, imo one of the best female vocalists of 2004 is Martina Topley - Bird.

Old 01-20-2005, 10:18 PM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

The Power of Orange Knickers

Jamaica Inn

Mother Revolution

Witness

Original Sinsuality

Hoochie Woman

Very interesting titles...
Old 01-21-2005, 12:56 AM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:45 PM
I've been so wrapped up in U2 excitement that i've completely neglected my love for Tori Amos

the new album is great news - she's one of the only artists who I would go to lengths for to get the album on the day of release.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:54 AM   #65
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by beau2ifulday
I've been so wrapped up in U2 excitement that i've completely neglected my love for Tori Amos

Thou shalt not neglect Tori.

Old 01-21-2005, 05:59 AM   #66
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars
[B]

Lately, some of her stuff is a little too .. well, how you call it.. I mean, Tori style, far off, she seems ...proud?
Haven´t heard Scarlet´s Walk as of yet, methinks. /B]
But if you haven't heard Scarlet's Walk, you haven't heard anything 'lately'! SW is a beautiful record, just lush and gorgeous and her voice is exceptional. Boys for Pele remains one of my all-time favorite records, but I am surprised by how much I still can't get enough of SW. I never thought it would be a favorite but I find myself returning to it all the time, and listening to it all the way through without skipping anything each time. It's lyrically, vocally and musically very strong and puts me in a certain relaxed and contemplative mood.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:03 AM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

But if you haven't heard Scarlet's Walk, you haven't heard anything 'lately'! SW is a beautiful record, just lush and gorgeous and her voice is exceptional. Boys for Pele remains one of my all-time favorite records, but I am surprised by how much I still can't get enough of SW. I never thought it would be a favorite but I find myself returning to it all the time, and listening to it all the way through without skipping anything each time. It's lyrically, vocally and musically very strong and puts me in a certain relaxed and contemplative mood.
Thank you for your nice words.

I´ll give it a try
Old 01-21-2005, 06:24 PM   #68
Blue Crack Addict

from Billboard-- I have no words to describe how offended I am by the categorization of this as "Easy Listening". However, still a nice review of Sleeps with Butterflies.

TORI AMOS
Sleeps With Butterflies
Producer(s): Tori Amos
Writer(s): T. Amos
Publisher(s): Sword and Stone (ASCAP)
Genre: EASY LISTENING
Label/Catalog Number: Epic 51344 (CD promo)
Source: Billboard Magazine
Originally Reviewed: January 29, 2005

Imagine lying in a hammock on a spring afternoon, gently swinging in the breeze. That's the feeling Tori Amos evokes on "Sleeps With Butterflies," the preview to her upcoming album "The Beekeeper." The direction she takes is a natural continuation from her last set, "Scarlet's Walk." The music has the same pleasant lilt as "A Sorta Fairytale" (the lead single from "Scarlet") but is more delicate. The piano smoothly blends in with a light mix of bass, guitar and percussion, letting the song float by like a cloud. Lyrically, Amos uses a direct approach (for her, anyway). She sings of her willingness to let a lover be as distant as he wants: "Or if you need some time/I don't mind/I don't hold on/To the tail of your kite." Given the words "This girl only sleeps with butterflies," it sounds as though that's the man she prefers. This is a good antidote to winter's blues.—CLT
Old 01-24-2005, 06:42 PM   #69
Blue Crack Addict

*boost* for HG
Old 01-24-2005, 07:14 PM   #70
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Thank you.

I'm loving all the news on the new album. The theme idea is something I think Tori did well on SW, so I find the garden theme exciting about The Beekeeper. And I'm wanting to hear 'Sleeps With Butterflies' again and again.

As for Scarlet's Walk, I sometimes think it has surpassed Boys for Pele as my favorite! At this point, I'd almost call it a tie. Pele will always have a special place in my heart, but SW just gets better with age. I listened to the entire album the other day and I just love it. I even bought it for mofo for Christmas because I think so highly of it as one of Tori's masterpieces.

On yet another Tori tangent, I've started collecting her singles because I keep finding ones I don't have for only a few dollars apiece. I even picked up the 'Strange Little Girl' single, which I later read is supposedly quite rare. The reason I mention all this is that I think Tori's B-sides are phenomenal. Her cover of 'Only Women Bleed' is so good. I'm also really into 'Upside Down,' and I've long been a fan of the entire 'Hey Jupiter' single. And I also must say that the six songs on Scarlet's Hidden Treasures get a lot of airplay in my house. Discovering all these songs I didn't know about is only making me anticipate the new album that much more.

Ok, didn't mean to write THAT much! Yeah, The Beekeeper needs to come out soon!
Old 01-24-2005, 08:38 PM   #71
The Fly

Local Time: 11:45 PM
Her b-sides are fantastic and it's such a treat when she throws a couple into the live shows. Can't wait for the new album!
Old 01-25-2005, 12:07 AM   #72
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by HeartlandGirl
and I've long been a fan of the entire 'Hey Jupiter' single.
This is my FAVOURITE Tori single. I LOVE the 'Dakota' version! I was in a car accident last year and totalled my car. They towed it off to the wrecking yard and after all was said and done with insurance and getting a new car and everything, I realized that I'd left my 'Hey Jupiter' CD in the totalled car!
I've been looking for it in stores but haven't found it. I guess I'll have to order one for myself before it gets discontinued!
Old 01-25-2005, 06:15 PM   #73
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

As for Scarlet's Walk, I sometimes think it has surpassed Boys for Pele as my favorite! At this point, I'd almost call it a tie. Pele will always have a special place in my heart, but SW just gets better with age. I listened to the entire album the other day and I just love it. I even bought it for mofo for Christmas because I think so highly of it as one of Tori's masterpieces.
You know, I think I agree with you. I keep saying Pele is my favorite when in fact it's not a record I listen to much anymore. It's such a painful record and can take me back to a painful place unless I'm just in the car with my best friend and we're singing along to Blood Roses and Professional Widow in a hilarious way. SW kinda snuck up on me and it's just such a deeply satisfying record on so many levels.

Quote:

On yet another Tori tangent, I've started collecting her singles because I keep finding ones I don't have for only a few dollars apiece. I even picked up the 'Strange Little Girl' single, which I later read is supposedly quite rare. The reason I mention all this is that I think Tori's B-sides are phenomenal. Her cover of 'Only Women Bleed' is so good. I'm also really into 'Upside Down,' and I've long been a fan of the entire 'Hey Jupiter' single. And I also must say that the six songs on Scarlet's Hidden Treasures get a lot of airplay in my house. Discovering all these songs I didn't know about is only making me anticipate the new album that much more.
Again, we agree. I think you must be my Tori separated-at-birth soul sister. Her b-sides, and covers, are just the best. How about Cooling? I mean, one of the best Tori songs ever. I don't have the Strange Little Girls single but you inspired me to go hunt it down online so it's on order.

Did you see that new promo picture I posted on the previous page? It's so....Tori, lol.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:48 PM   #74
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by lmjhitman

This is my FAVOURITE Tori single. I LOVE the 'Dakota' version! I was in a car accident last year and totalled my car. They towed it off to the wrecking yard and after all was said and done with insurance and getting a new car and everything, I realized that I'd left my 'Hey Jupiter' CD in the totalled car!
I've been looking for it in stores but haven't found it. I guess I'll have to order one for myself before it gets discontinued!
I see it online all the time. I'm sure you can still get it. That's like once years ago someone broke into my apt and stole my tape deck and my favorite tape at the time was in it.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:31 PM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Again, we agree. I think you must be my Tori separated-at-birth soul sister. Her b-sides, and covers, are just the best. How about Cooling? I mean, one of the best Tori songs ever. I don't have the Strange Little Girls single but you inspired me to go hunt it down online so it's on order.

Did you see that new promo picture I posted on the previous page? It's so....Tori, lol.
Separated-at-birth Tori soul sisters?

It does NOT get any better than Cooling. I enthusiastically agree. Sugar and Honey are so good too. The live performance of Honey on the Librarian DVD? What would we do without these B-Sides?

I picked up the Crucify and Talula singles today (I already had Crucify on cassette). I have always loved Angie and Thank You, so I needed a copy on CD. I haven't heard any of the Talula B-sides yet (Samurai, Frog on My Toe, London Girls, and the BT Synethasia Mix of Talula), but I'm eager to. I love BT, so I'm hoping the remix is good. I'm glad you ordered the Strange Little Girl single. Both B-sides on there, I just love them.

On another tangent, the other night I found my copy of To Venus and Back (the actual album), which I thought I hadn't seen for two years. I swear I had looked inside the CD player where I found it countless times and played other stuff in there in the meanwhile. Just a little faery dust at work, perhaps?

EDIT: And yes, I saw the new promo picture...it was so Tori I didn't even know what to say!