New Tori Amos record

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000768741

Similar to Amos' 2002 Epic debut, "Scarlet's Walk," the new album revolves around a theme suggested by its title. The 19 songs are divided among six "gardens" that represent the emotional life of the album's female character.

The set was recorded in Cornwall with frequent collaborators Matt Chamberlain (drums) and Jon Evans (bass). Mac Aladdin provided percussion and a gospel choir appears on some tracks. Amos also tapped Irish singer/songwriter Damien Rice to counter her vocals on one track, "The Power of Orange Knickers."

"We had great fun," Amos tells Billboard.com of recording with Rice. "If you have a song called 'The Power of Orange Knickers' [then] you've got to have the other. I felt a guy singing that line was exciting."

joyfulgirl said:
Tori's frock

tori3.jpg

Wooo :up:

I still like her first album best. Little Earthquakes on Vinyl, bought more than 10 years ago, one of my first albums.

Lately, some of her stuff is a little too .. well, how you call it.. I mean, Tori style, far off, she seems ...proud? of her voice at times, always stretching all the syllables which reduces her expression qualities (excuse me.. I am a fan, but also a producer)

I definitely like her version of Happiness is a warm gun - especially the end.

Hmmm maybe I also need to get an update on slsk. Haven´t heard Scarlet´s Walk as of yet, methinks. However, imo one of the best female vocalists of 2004 is Martina Topley - Bird.

The Power of Orange Knickers

Jamaica Inn

Mother Revolution

Witness

Original Sinsuality

Hoochie Woman

Very interesting titles...

I've been so wrapped up in U2 excitement that i've completely neglected my love for Tori Amos
:reject:

the new album is great news - she's one of the only artists who I would go to lengths for to get the album on the day of release.

beau2ifulday said:
I've been so wrapped up in U2 excitement that i've completely neglected my love for Tori Amos
:reject:

:shame: Thou shalt not neglect Tori.

:wink:

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

Lately, some of her stuff is a little too .. well, how you call it.. I mean, Tori style, far off, she seems ...proud?
Haven´t heard Scarlet´s Walk as of yet, methinks. /B]

But if you haven't heard Scarlet's Walk, you haven't heard anything 'lately'! SW is a beautiful record, just lush and gorgeous and her voice is exceptional. Boys for Pele remains one of my all-time favorite records, but I am surprised by how much I still can't get enough of SW. I never thought it would be a favorite but I find myself returning to it all the time, and listening to it all the way through without skipping anything each time. It's lyrically, vocally and musically very strong and puts me in a certain relaxed and contemplative mood.

joyfulgirl said:

But if you haven't heard Scarlet's Walk, you haven't heard anything 'lately'! SW is a beautiful record, just lush and gorgeous and her voice is exceptional. Boys for Pele remains one of my all-time favorite records, but I am surprised by how much I still can't get enough of SW. I never thought it would be a favorite but I find myself returning to it all the time, and listening to it all the way through without skipping anything each time. It's lyrically, vocally and musically very strong and puts me in a certain relaxed and contemplative mood.

Thank you for your nice words.

I´ll give it a try :)

from Billboard-- I have no words to describe how offended I am by the categorization of this as "Easy Listening". However, still a nice review of Sleeps with Butterflies.

TORI AMOS
Sleeps With Butterflies
Producer(s): Tori Amos
Writer(s): T. Amos
Publisher(s): Sword and Stone (ASCAP)
Genre: EASY LISTENING
Label/Catalog Number: Epic 51344 (CD promo)
Source: Billboard Magazine
Originally Reviewed: January 29, 2005

Imagine lying in a hammock on a spring afternoon, gently swinging in the breeze. That's the feeling Tori Amos evokes on "Sleeps With Butterflies," the preview to her upcoming album "The Beekeeper." The direction she takes is a natural continuation from her last set, "Scarlet's Walk." The music has the same pleasant lilt as "A Sorta Fairytale" (the lead single from "Scarlet") but is more delicate. The piano smoothly blends in with a light mix of bass, guitar and percussion, letting the song float by like a cloud. Lyrically, Amos uses a direct approach (for her, anyway). She sings of her willingness to let a lover be as distant as he wants: "Or if you need some time/I don't mind/I don't hold on/To the tail of your kite." Given the words "This girl only sleeps with butterflies," it sounds as though that's the man she prefers. This is a good antidote to winter's blues.—CLT

Thank you. :)

I'm loving all the news on the new album. The theme idea is something I think Tori did well on SW, so I find the garden theme exciting about The Beekeeper. And I'm wanting to hear 'Sleeps With Butterflies' again and again.

As for Scarlet's Walk, I sometimes think it has surpassed Boys for Pele as my favorite! At this point, I'd almost call it a tie. Pele will always have a special place in my heart, but SW just gets better with age. I listened to the entire album the other day and I just love it. I even bought it for mofo for Christmas because I think so highly of it as one of Tori's masterpieces.

On yet another Tori tangent, I've started collecting her singles because I keep finding ones I don't have for only a few dollars apiece. I even picked up the 'Strange Little Girl' single, which I later read is supposedly quite rare. The reason I mention all this is that I think Tori's B-sides are phenomenal. Her cover of 'Only Women Bleed' is so good. I'm also really into 'Upside Down,' and I've long been a fan of the entire 'Hey Jupiter' single. And I also must say that the six songs on Scarlet's Hidden Treasures get a lot of airplay in my house. Discovering all these songs I didn't know about is only making me anticipate the new album that much more.

Ok, didn't mean to write THAT much! Yeah, The Beekeeper needs to come out soon!

Her b-sides are fantastic and it's such a treat when she throws a couple into the live shows. Can't wait for the new album!

HeartlandGirl said:
and I've long been a fan of the entire 'Hey Jupiter' single.

This is my FAVOURITE Tori single. I LOVE the 'Dakota' version! I was in a car accident last year and totalled my car. They towed it off to the wrecking yard and after all was said and done with insurance and getting a new car and everything, I realized that I'd left my 'Hey Jupiter' CD in the totalled car! :mad:
I've been looking for it in stores but haven't found it. I guess I'll have to order one for myself before it gets discontinued!

HeartlandGirl said:

As for Scarlet's Walk, I sometimes think it has surpassed Boys for Pele as my favorite! At this point, I'd almost call it a tie. Pele will always have a special place in my heart, but SW just gets better with age. I listened to the entire album the other day and I just love it. I even bought it for mofo for Christmas because I think so highly of it as one of Tori's masterpieces.

You know, I think I agree with you. I keep saying Pele is my favorite when in fact it's not a record I listen to much anymore. It's such a painful record and can take me back to a painful place unless I'm just in the car with my best friend and we're singing along to Blood Roses and Professional Widow in a hilarious way. SW kinda snuck up on me and it's just such a deeply satisfying record on so many levels.

HeartlandGirl said:

On yet another Tori tangent, I've started collecting her singles because I keep finding ones I don't have for only a few dollars apiece. I even picked up the 'Strange Little Girl' single, which I later read is supposedly quite rare. The reason I mention all this is that I think Tori's B-sides are phenomenal. Her cover of 'Only Women Bleed' is so good. I'm also really into 'Upside Down,' and I've long been a fan of the entire 'Hey Jupiter' single. And I also must say that the six songs on Scarlet's Hidden Treasures get a lot of airplay in my house. Discovering all these songs I didn't know about is only making me anticipate the new album that much more.

Again, we agree. I think you must be my Tori separated-at-birth soul sister. :wink: Her b-sides, and covers, are just the best. How about Cooling? :heart: I mean, one of the best Tori songs ever. I don't have the Strange Little Girls single but you inspired me to go hunt it down online so it's on order. :)

Did you see that new promo picture I posted on the previous page? It's so....Tori, lol.

lmjhitman said:

This is my FAVOURITE Tori single. I LOVE the 'Dakota' version! I was in a car accident last year and totalled my car. They towed it off to the wrecking yard and after all was said and done with insurance and getting a new car and everything, I realized that I'd left my 'Hey Jupiter' CD in the totalled car! :mad:
I've been looking for it in stores but haven't found it. I guess I'll have to order one for myself before it gets discontinued!

I see it online all the time. I'm sure you can still get it. That's like once years ago someone broke into my apt and stole my tape deck and my favorite tape at the time was in it. :mad:

joyfulgirl said:
Again, we agree. I think you must be my Tori separated-at-birth soul sister. :wink: Her b-sides, and covers, are just the best. How about Cooling? :heart: I mean, one of the best Tori songs ever. I don't have the Strange Little Girls single but you inspired me to go hunt it down online so it's on order. :)

Did you see that new promo picture I posted on the previous page? It's so....Tori, lol.

Separated-at-birth Tori soul sisters? :laugh: :hug:

It does NOT get any better than Cooling. I enthusiastically agree. Sugar and Honey are so good too. The live performance of Honey on the Librarian DVD? What would we do without these B-Sides?

I picked up the Crucify and Talula singles today (I already had Crucify on cassette). I have always loved Angie and Thank You, so I needed a copy on CD. I haven't heard any of the Talula B-sides yet (Samurai, Frog on My Toe, London Girls, and the BT Synethasia Mix of Talula), but I'm eager to. I love BT, so I'm hoping the remix is good. I'm glad you ordered the Strange Little Girl single. Both B-sides on there, I just love them.

On another tangent, the other night I found my copy of To Venus and Back (the actual album), which I thought I hadn't seen for two years. I swear I had looked inside the CD player where I found it countless times and played other stuff in there in the meanwhile. :uhoh: Just a little faery dust at work, perhaps? :D

EDIT: And yes, I saw the new promo picture...it was so Tori I didn't even know what to say!

Last edited:
lmjhitman said:

My local record store usually has at least two copies of it. If you like, I'd be happy to pick one up for you. :)

HeartlandGirl said:

On another tangent, the other night I found my copy of To Venus and Back (the actual album), which I thought I hadn't seen for two years. I swear I had looked inside the CD player where I found it countless times and played other stuff in there in the meanwhile. :uhoh: Just a little faery dust at work, perhaps? :D

You're telling me I made that copy for you for nothing? For NOTHING??!!!!! :mad: :wink:

On a side note, I quite like Scarlet's Walk (HLG got it for me for Christmas). It freaked me out when some tiny cat fell out of the case. I later learned they come with charms. How was I to know??!!!

Last edited:
u2popmofo said:
You're telling me I made that copy for you for nothing? For NOTHING??!!!!! :mad: :wink:

On a side note, I quite like Scarlet's Walk (HLG got it for me for Christmas). It freaked me out when some tiny cat fell out of the case. I later learned they come with charms. How was I to know??!!!

It wasn't for nothing! I like your copy! It shows the song titles when I play it in my car. :up: :wink:

Are you sure Juno didn't try to mail herself to you? :cat:

HeartlandGirl said:

The live performance of Honey on the Librarian DVD?

:drool:

HeartlandGirl said:

I haven't heard any of the Talula B-sides yet (Samurai, Frog on My Toe, London Girls

Those are ok, not great, imo. Fun songs, but not ones that I listen to much. Or at all, actually. :reject: A lot of people seem to like Frog and London Girls, though.

HeartlandGirl said:

See, now you're scaring me. I have two copies of Scarlet's Walk: the basic version was a gift, and then of course I had to have the limited edition version, too, so I used one for travel and one for home. Recently I could not find the travel one anywhere for about 2 weeks. It drove me nuts. Everyday I would look a little more and get more frustrated. Then I finally found it by chance in my travel case, stuck in one of the slots behind another CD. :huh:

I really like 'London Girls'. I had that on a little mix I had on MD ages ago. I had a buddy who was a big Tori fan, he told me to put it on there. I thank him for that.

HeartlandGirl said:
My local record store usually has at least two copies of it. If you like, I'd be happy to pick one up for you. :)

HeartlandGirl, you are a sweetheart! :hug:
How much is it where you are? I was just thinking of ordering on amazon.ca. It's $14.99 CDN which is about $11.50 USD. Or I might check if it's just cheaper to order it through my local store. I dunno - with postage to Canada, could it possibly end up costing more?

All of the TVAB singles are wonderful, HG, if you haven't discovered them yet. Beautiful live versions of Famous Blue Raincoat, Twinkle, Hey Jupiter, Upside Down, Baker Baker and Winter.

Other must-have singles are both versions of Jackie's Strength, one with an incredible remix of Father Lucifer, and the other with the gorgeous b-side Never Seen Blue, and Spark with Purple People.

If you can't find all of these I'd be happy to make you a b-sides mix. All of these contain some of my favorite Tori songs.

lmjhitman said:
HeartlandGirl, you are a sweetheart! :hug:
How much is it where you are? I was just thinking of ordering on amazon.ca. It's $14.99 CDN which is about $11.50 USD. Or I might check if it's just cheaper to order it through my local store. I dunno - with postage to Canada, could it possibly end up costing more?

It's a bit cheaper here--I'm pretty sure it's around $8. Shipping to Canada? It couldn't be that bad, could it? I could pick it up tomorrow on my way home from work. Let me know what you decide, and if you want me to get it for you, e-mail me your address. If it's easier for you to just pick it up locally, though, that's cool too. :)

babyswan11 [at] hotmail [dot] com

joyfulgirl said:
All of the TVAB singles are wonderful, HG, if you haven't discovered them yet. Beautiful live versions of Famous Blue Raincoat, Twinkle, Hey Jupiter, Upside Down, Baker Baker and Winter.

Other must-have singles are both versions of Jackie's Strength, one with an incredible remix of Father Lucifer, and the other with the gorgeous b-side Never Seen Blue, and Spark with Purple People.

If you can't find all of these I'd be happy to make you a b-sides mix. All of these contain some of my favorite Tori songs.

Let's see. The only TVAB single I have so far is 1000 Oceans with the Baker Baker live version. :drool: The version of Spark that I have has Do It Again and Cooling on it.

Live versions of Hey Jupiter, Upside Down, Winter, and Twinkle? I may have to take you up on this mix idea... Do you own all these singles? I think I'll still be motivated to buy the singles I find even if I had a mix with all of them. They're so cheap, and I enjoy collecting CDs by a few choice artists.

The only single I've seen and not bought is the Professional Widow one with all the remixes...I don't much care for the remix on Librarian, so that's why I've avoided it. Any thoughts?

HeartlandGirl said:

It's a bit cheaper here--I'm pretty sure it's around $8. Shipping to Canada? It couldn't be that bad, could it? I could pick it up tomorrow on my way home from work. Let me know what you decide, and if you want me to get it for you, e-mail me your address. If it's easier for you to just pick it up locally, though, that's cool too. :)

babyswan11 [at] hotmail [dot] com

I will check the record store tomorrow and e-mail you. Thanks again for the offer HG, you ROCK!!! :up: :up:

HeartlandGirl said:

Live versions of Hey Jupiter, Upside Down, Winter, and Twinkle? I may have to take you up on this mix idea... Do you own all these singles? I think I'll still be motivated to buy the singles I find even if I had a mix with all of them. They're so cheap, and I enjoy collecting CDs by a few choice artists.

The only single I've seen and not bought is the Professional Widow one with all the remixes...I don't much care for the remix on Librarian, so that's why I've avoided it. Any thoughts?

Yes, I own all the singles I mentioned. You need them!!! Say the word and I'll make a mix. The Spark single with Purple People is really good. You have the live version of Purple People on TVAB Still Orbiting, but the single is fabulous. It also has a song called Bachelorette and a gorgeous rendition of Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas which rivals her cover of Somewhere Over the Rainbow and can make me cry on a hot summer day.

The Jackie's Strength single with Never Seen Blue and Beulah Land is fantastic. Beulah Land sounds like it was recorded during the Pele sessions--has those choir vocals like on Way Down. The other Jackie's Strength single has the most fabulous remix of Father Lucifer (the Sylkscreen Remix) and a disco mix of Jackie's Strength (the Wedding Cake Edit) that I used to hear in gay bars. I don't even like that song much but the remix is great.

You were wise to skip the Professional Widow single. Unless you really want to hear club beats with "honey bring it close" and "gotta be big" on irritating 8 minute loops, you don't ever need to even hear it. I put it on tonight before responding because I'd fogotten what it sounded like and about a quarter of the way through I was starting to feel homicidal so I had to turn it off! It's good to have for your collection if only for the cover picture but don't rush out and get it.

You might like the BT Blue Skies stuff more than I do. It's just not my thing, but some people really like it. I appreciate it, but I never listen to it.

The a sorta fairytale single has a nice little lullaby on it called Operation Peter Pan, very unique for Tori in that there's no piano, just an acoustic guitar.

Tori tangents. :drool:

Since things have been so boring around here lately, what with no good tour info or ticket fiascos or anything, here's something to look forward to:

from tori.com:

TORI ON TOUR
Sounds like we are going to have some information by next week about official tour dates. We'll get you the details as soon as we have them....

:crazy:

Other recent Tori info I got in an email last night:

WATCH FOR THE FOLLOWING TORI AMOS APPEARANCES!
February 17 - Late Night with David Letterman
February 19 - Weekend Today
February 22 - Live with Regis and Kelly
February 23 - Book signing at Barnes & Noble-Union Square - 6PM
33 East 17th Street, NY, NY 10003, 212-253-0810
Tori will be signing copies of her brand new CD The Beekeeper and her new book Piece by Piece!
February 24 - An Evening in Conversation with Tori Amos and Ann Powers at New York's 92 St. Y - 8PM
(92nd and Lexington)/Kaufmann Concert Hall
Week of February 28 - Last Call with Carson Daly (stay tuned for exact air date)
Set your TiVo's and mark your calendars!

VIDEO NEWS!
This coming weekend (Jan 29) Tori will be busy shooting the video for "Sleeps with Butterflies." She's tapped Laurent Brier to direct her latest video endeavor. He's worked with the likes of Radiohead, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Aphex Twins. Rumor is she's chosen to work with Laurent because his concepts are hugely influenced by illustrators and painters, similar to Tori's. Stay tuned to this space and to ToriAmos.com for a clip!

Back
Top Bottom