New Tori Amos record

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FlyYourKite said:

That's an excellent way of putting it. :yes:

I'm glad her performances aren't like that anymore, although if that one was indeed right after her miscarriage then she must have been feeling all sorts of painful and weird emotions. Anyhow, I'm glad I watched it but if I didn't love her already it would have surely turned me off. :lol:

And I know what you mean...I was hoping this could be a way to introduce some of my friends to her but after watching it that's not going to happen. I think they'd like WTSF a bit more.

What tour is this video from? I saw her in 98 and that's how I remember her being. A bit crazy but you gotta know that and love her anyways :wink:

redkat said:

What tour is this video from? I saw her in 98 and that's how I remember her being. A bit crazy but you gotta know that and love her anyways :wink:

It was January of '97 so I guess that would make it the end of the Dew Drop Inn tour, the RAINN benefit concert. And you're right, her craziness comes with the package :D

I was trying to come up with a top ten list of her songs...but it is insanely hard. I think this would be mine though, but it's leaving out so many amazing ones:

1. Cooling
2. Northern Lad
3. Baker Baker
4. Crucify
5. Playboy Mommy
6. Pretty Good Year
7. Marianne
8. Mother
9. Ribbons Undone
10. Winter

Silent All These Years, Concertina, Blood Roses, Spark & Taxi Ride are so close though. It's just way too hard.

I'm curious to see everyone else's.

Last edited:
FlyYourKite said:

That's an excellent way of putting it. :yes:

I'm glad her performances aren't like that anymore, although if that one was indeed right after her miscarriage then she must have been feeling all sorts of painful and weird emotions. Anyhow, I'm glad I watched it but if I didn't love her already it would have surely turned me off. :lol:

And I know what you mean...I was hoping this could be a way to introduce some of my friends to her but after watching it that's not going to happen. I think they'd like WTSF a bit more.

So many of her performances are intense and crazy like this,especially in the early to mid 90s.
So I don't understand the shock or people saying they're glad she isn't like that anymore.That's part of who she is.
The video you're talking about is a WHOLE lot better than the Welcome to Sunny Florida DVD,which frankly,I find pretty boring.

catwoman said:

So many of her performances are intense and crazy like this,especially in the early to mid 90s.
So I don't understand the shock or people saying they're glad she isn't like that anymore.That's part of who she is.
The video you're talking about is a WHOLE lot better than the Welcome to Sunny Florida DVD,which frankly,I find pretty boring.

Some of us just have different opinions, that's all. I'm obviously a huge fan and prefer certain periods of her performances more than others. There is no right or wrong--as many people agree with you as they do with me. Boys for Pele is my favorite record but I simply prefer her performances from the last few years more than her earlier ones. I appreciate her craziness as much as any Tori fan but sometimes her earlier performances were over the top, in my opinion, and the ones from the last few years just seem more authentic to me.

She played Led Zeppelin's "When the Levee Breaks" last night in Austin. Apparently it was one of her best covers ever.

I can't wait to hear When the Levee Breaks. :up:

Posting some of my favourite pictures for fun :):

tori142.jpg

ta.jpg

Black_tank_top_250.jpg

98bluetori2.jpg

So I'm going to blab some more because I'm bored :wink:

I've come to the conclusion that although I enjoy Tori's concerts and way of performing now much more than in the early-mid 90s, the material that she's produced recently (namely the latest two albums) did not strike as deeply with me than her earlier albums. Little Earthquakes, UTP, Pele and Choirgirl are incredible and although I like a handful of songs on Scarlet's Walk and Beekeeper, it just doesn't have the same feel.

I'm looking forward to her next album...she said recently in an interview that this would be "much different". :hmm:

Joyfulgirl, I wish you a wonderful concert tomorrow! Can't wait to hear all about it when you get back.

Sorry, Kite! I just haven't been online much the past week.

The show was beautiful. The weather was perfect. We got upgraded from 15th row to 2nd, which actually seemed slightly better than the 1st row to me, and we were almost dead center. Tori looked gorgeous in her white/yellow party dress and shoes that looked challenging to walk in, lol.

Once again I was blown away by her musicianship. She's like a force of nature or something, lol. I was completely in awe of her on the organ. I mean, in case you all weren't clear on this, I love this woman! I was a bit disappointed in the setlist, especially the covers and a few songs that I've heard just about every time I've seen her so I was hoping for a little bit more variety. Still, there were some real unbelievable standouts: "Muhammad My Friend" was just amazing, as was "Spark," "Mother," "Black Dove (January)" (a song I don't even like on the record) and, the surprising highlight of the night for me, "Running Up That Hill/God." "God" has become tiresome for me over the years but I love how she reworked it and slowed it down for this tour. It's just stunning and in fact you can hear it here:

http://www.hereinmyhead.com/sounds/index.html

and I see they've also just added her Austin cover of "When the Levee Breaks" (must hear the minute I finish this post).

The covers were eh, nothing special--"Wild World" (Cat Stevens) and "Let it Be." I mean, everyone likes "Let it Be" I suppose but it's just--here's that word again--tiresome, especially compared with the recent Damien Rice, Radiohead and the next night in SLC, Bjork, covers.

One criticism of the show is that even though Red Rocks is an incredible venue with near-perfect acoustics and gorgeous views (of the stage, the city, the landscape), I feel these outdoor ampitheatres are too big for this show. This was an intimate show that I think works best in theatres. Everyone's right about the stage design--it's dumb--and an outdoor venue needs more of a "show" in my opinion. Of course the music and her performance are strong enough on their own but it might’ve been more fun and awe-inspiring had there been more visually. And maybe I'm realizing that I might prefer her with the band, I don't know. But the show was excellent and the audience members around me were all very cool (of course, we were the hard-core people who got upgraded!) except for the one drunk girl who when trying to rush the stage during the encores stumbled down the bleachers and landed on my feet during "Mother" which was shocking and annoying, kind of like when the woman fainted beside me during "Running to Stand Still" when I saw U2. What is it about me and people falling down beside me, or in this case, on me, during poignant moments of shows?!

Thanks, Kite, for not letting me talk to myself in here! If you want a copy of the Red Rocks show, I downloaded the torrent and it’s really fantastic quality.

Here's the full setlist:

Original Sinsuality
Carbon
Amber Waves
Silent All These Years
Goodbye Pisces
Muhammed My Friend
God/Running Up That Hill

Wild World (Cat Stevens cover)
Let It Be (Beatles cover)

Cars And Guitars
Spark
Marianne
Black-Dove (January)
The Beekeeper

1st Encore
Tear In Your Hand
Jamaica Inn

2nd Encore
Cooling
Mother

So glad to hear you had a wonderful time :D I totally understand the "completely in awe" feeling. When she comes out on stage my eyes go all deer-in-headlights and I look like a kid on Christmas morning. :wink:

Although the piano bar tunes weren't that exciting, the setlist overall was very good I thought. I would have loved to have heard Cooling, Muhammad My Friend, Spark, and Black Dove. Sorry to hear about the drunk girl who fell on your feet! There's always something that attempts to ruin the night, isn't there? I read somewhere that at one of the recent shows (the exact one escapes my mind at the moment) some girl threw up onto the actual stage. :| How lovely.

I would love a copy of the show if it isn't too much trouble for you. :hug: And I'm glad you're here so I can rant and rave about good 'ol Tori. The Tori forum I go to is awesome but it's nice to talk about her here as well.

from Tori's mailing list:

MORE TORI BOOTLEGS!
Stay tuned for your chance to pre-order two MORE Tori double CD bootlegs for
Manchester Apollo, Manchester, UK 6/5/05 and Paramount Theatre, Denver, CO 4/19/05 coming soon to ToriBootlegs.com!

I'm really surprised that the Denver show will be one of the bootlegs released. I was at that show and thought it wasn't her best; it was even cut short because she was ill. But it'll be interesting to see if I like it better hearing it again, which happens sometimes. I'm already remembering that Little Amsterdam and Suzanne were pretty awesome and I can't wait to hear Liquid Diamonds from the Manchester show, one of my favorite Tori songs.

Here are the setlists for both shows:

Manchester 6/5/05:

Original Sinsuality
Little Amsterdam
Leather
Beauty Queen
Horses
Liquid Diamonds
Suede
Strange

Don't Look Back In Anger (Oasis cover)
My Favorite Things (Rodgers & Hammerstein / Sound of Music cover)

Winter
Carbon
Ribbons Undone
Spring Haze
The Beekeeper

1st Encore
Not The Red Baron
Never Seen Blue

2nd Encore
Sweet The Sting

Denver, 4/19/05:

Original Sinsuality
Little Amsterdam
Icicle
Your Cloud
Jamaica Inn
Father Lucifer
Cool On Your Island

I Ran (A Flock Of Seagulls cover)
Suzanne (Leonard Cohen cover)

The Power Of Orange Knickers
Cloud On My Tongue
Space Dog
Parasol
Carbon
The Beekeeper

1st Encore
Leather

2nd Encore
Putting The Damage On

FlyYourKite said:

I would love a copy of the show if it isn't too much trouble for you. :hug:

Sorry, I forgot about this. :reject:

PM me your address and I'll get it off to you next week.

foray said:
Has Tori mentioned anything about Katrina or dedicated anything to the people of New Orleans on her tour? Just wondering.

foray

Yes. She played Led Zeppelin's "When the Levee Breaks."

Gee, I spent a good 10 minutes looking for this thread. It's sunk too low, man. I'm addicted to this latest album. My opinion is that the music sounds "sweeter" than her previous work. It sounds like the sweet early b-sides. Although I miss the quirky piano hooks (like Father Lucifer, for eg), I'm appreciating the guitar weaves in Beekeeper more, and am liking her jamming at the end of Barons of Suburbia. I'm liking everything, actually.

foray

Just rented this album from the local public library.. and then promptly burned a copy for myself. :shifty: I love it!!! :love: The last album of hers I'd listened to was Under The Pink.

Anyway, I still haven't dug deep into this epic of an album.. 19 tracks, almost 80 mins :crack: But on first listen, I absolutely love Parasol, Sweet The Sting, Orange Knickers, Jamaica Inn, Barons of Suburbia and General Joy!

I can't get enough of Orange Knickers!!! :love:

... the song, that is. :shifty:

Shame shame time to leave me now
Shame shame you've had your fun
Shame shame for letting me think that I would be the one
Can somebody tell me now who is this terrorist
this little pill in my hand or this secret kiss
am I alone in this kiss

:dance:

:up:

I'm not crazy about it myself but a lot of people seem to feel the way you do.

Question to you guys: What is your personal take on the lyrics of Martha's Foolish Ginger? It's currently my favourite, and although I get that it is the name of a ship, I'm still wondering about the chorus if those harbour lights had just been half-a-mile inland/who knows what I would have done. Not that it matters a whole lot to me - the song is great musically. The drums are reminiscent of Josephine.

foray

Saracene said:
And I kinda miss the turbulence and sense of melodrama I loved about her earlier stuff; here it's more muted and the quirkiness more ironed out.

Yeah, that's true! And I didn't really realize it until you mentioned it. There is nothing here along the lines of Waitress or the Pretty Good Year bridge :drool: But I do really really enjoy listening to The Beekeeper.

Forgot to add... :shifty:

Tracks I can't get enough of:

Parasol
...Orange Knickers
Jamaica Inn
Barons Of Suburbia
Sleeps With Butterflies
General Joy
Cars and Guitars
Ireland
The Beekeeper
Martha's Foolish Ginger
Goodbye Pisces
Mars Of The Sea
Toast

I do like the rest, just not as much as these above. I can't understand why some of you say you don't like Cars & Guitars! It's such fun... I love the way she sings this song and that intro! :lol:

Yes, it's been what, a year and 4 months and I still can't get enough of this album.

Of course I discovered it only in like December or something I think. My original post is actually on this very same page! :shifty:

Last edited:
Did you get Scarlet's Walk yet? If you love The Beekeeper I predict you will really love Scarlet's Walk. I can't say that the reverse is always true, though. The Beekeeper is probably my least favorite and least listened to Tori record. But I say that as someone who loves just about everything she's ever done so that doesn't mean I dislike The Beekeeper. It has a similar vibe as Scarlet's Walk but for me SW is stunning in the way it flows, and it's lush and gorgeous. It's also a near perfect listen beginning to end. I don't skip anything. I agree with what HeartlandGirl said in the SW thread--that it's one of her masterpieces, the other being Boys for Pele, imo. That I came to feel that way really surprised me because it didn't strike me that way in the beginning. But over time, I came to appreciate it more and more and I still reach for it all the time. It's like comfort music.

The Beekeeper sounds more like a fine collection of B-sides to my ear, with a few exceptions, and I will also add that I loved those songs live more than I do on the record. Saying they sound like B-sides is by no means an insult either because she has more great B-sides than just about anyone I can think of. But for me there aren't as many standout songs as on SW.

In any case, like with any artist, every fan has their favorites and I support you in any way that you enjoy Tori. I'm glad you are loving The Beekeeper. It has inspired me to put it on. It's possible I have not yet begun to even hear it, you know? Her music is like that sometimes.

:)

I ordered Scarlet's Walk online today! :hyper: Just 8 bucks including S&H. :drool: Words cannot express how badly I want to listen to it once it arrives in the mail.

joyfulgirl said:
It's possible I have not yet begun to even hear it, you know? Her music is like that sometimes.

Yes. The first time I listened to The Beekeeper was in December of last year and I fell in love with tracks 1 thru 7 almost instantly! Well maybe not Sweet The Sting but soon enough that one too. The album is so long that I didn't quite get into the songs beyond that point, even though I did listen to them a couple of times. Picked it up again a few days back and realized how many songs I loved listening to here! Cars & Guitars and Ireland immediately stood out. And then Marys Of The Sea and Toast. Then it was Martha's Foolish Ginger & Goodbye Pisces. Now I can't get enough if it. I feel like I've rediscovered this album really late! :lol: And I wish I could have seen her on her last tour. Oh well, next time I'll be waiting for my ticketmaster alert! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom