New Tori Amos Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love every Clyde song, too. She's certainly the most consistent doll for me. :heart:

Okay, I'm still feeling overwhelmed by this monstrosity of a record. 80 minutes, I think, is too much for me.

Personally, I think I could have done with two short EPs in the style of the Welcome to Sunny Florida EP. EP #1 would have the first five songs or so, and the second EP would go from Programmable Soda to Velvet Revolution. Right now I'm feeling like that's all I need. :|

Gah. I still need more time. Too many freaking songs!!!! :crazy:

HeartlandGirl said:
Okay, I'm still feeling overwhelmed by this monstrosity of a record. 80 minutes, I think, is too much for me.

Personally, I think I could have done with two short EPs in the style of the Welcome to Sunny Florida EP. EP #1 would have the first five songs or so, and the second EP would go from Programmable Soda to Velvet Revolution. Right now I'm feeling like that's all I need. :|

Gah. I still need more time. Too many freaking songs!!!! :crazy:

I'm just the opposite. The more the merrier. :) Although, yes, there are songs I could live without or that could have been B-sides on singles but in general I like long records.

I think I just about know the record by heart but a road trip last week helped. It was all I wanted to listen to.

Interestingly, when I get in the car I always go right to Bouncing off Clouds. It's not that it's my favorite song on the record but it makes me happy in the car.

Maybe you could burn separate CDs for each doll and get to know the songs that way? I thought of doing that. Or just making EPs like you suggested.

Thanks for the advice, joyful. I've created a playlist of each doll's songs on my iTunes, and I'm gonna try to take in the album that way for a while. I'm not usually opposed to such long albums (I was just listening to Scarlet's Walk today and loving it), but this one seems so schizophrenic thematically and musically (hence the five personalities) that I'm having a hard time finding the thread. Maybe if I can find the thread with each doll, then I can find the thread for the album as a whole.

Zootlesque said:
I'm loving Code Red... all the way thru... Dragon, right now! :heart:

That's my favorite part of the record, too, but starting with Programmable Soda through the end. :)

HeartlandGirl said:
Thanks for the advice, joyful. I've created a playlist of each doll's songs on my iTunes, and I'm gonna try to take in the album that way for a while. I'm not usually opposed to such long albums (I was just listening to Scarlet's Walk today and loving it), but this one seems so schizophrenic thematically and musically (hence the five personalities) that I'm having a hard time finding the thread. Maybe if I can find the thread with each doll, then I can find the thread for the album as a whole.

I think maybe you're a smarter listener than me, in that you're looking for the thread while I'm enjoying some songs. I guess I haven't gone too deep with this record yet. And I agree with you about it being schizophrenic thematically so I'm just ignoring that for now. I think the thread will find me rather than me finding it, somehow, someday!

I listened to it all during work today over and over, maybe 3 or 4 times. I didn't pay attention to titles though, just wanted to hear everything through. I think there's maybe 2 songs that I don't totally love. but for the amount of songs on this, I totally am lovin it :heart:

joyfulgirl said:
I think maybe you're a smarter listener than me, in that you're looking for the thread while I'm enjoying some songs.

Or perhaps I'm just a huge dork who needs to relax. :nerd: :laugh:

Well, I listened to each doll's playlist, and the album makes more sense to me that way. Each doll definitely sounds like a different era of Tori's music. And quite frankly, songs I didn't think I liked, I do like.

Summary: It's all good.

:up:

And either way, I recommend trying out each doll's songs all at once as a group. Really cool to see how Tori split up the songs...the differences are remarkable.

Originally posted by HeartlandGirl

Or perhaps I'm just a huge dork who needs to relax. :nerd: :laugh:

:lol: I don't think so! I really haven't had time "study" the record but normally that's something I get into. Last night for the first time I actually sat down and read through some of the lyrics and they are so different on the page than what I hear when I'm listening. (For instance, I kept hearing "Tina Fey" in "Almost Rosey" and it was driving me crazy--I knew it couldn't be right although I thought "Oliver Stone" couldn't be right on SW either. :huh: ) There are lots and lots of words! And just singing along in my car I don't really know what she's talking about yet and probably won't until I "study."

Originally posted by HeartlandGirl
Well, I listened to each doll's playlist, and the album makes more sense to me that way. Each doll definitely sounds like a different era of Tori's music. And quite frankly, songs I didn't think I liked, I do like.

I'm going to do that this weekend. When I originally heard about the concept, and that there were a bunch of short songs, I thought she was going to use the short songs to introduce new characters and have the record split up like that into each doll's sections instead of mixing it up. It's probably more interesting sonically mixed up but I'm interested in hearing each doll's playlist, too.

Zootlesque said:
Just watched this one here. Seems to be a live performance but don't know why there is no proper video with it! I freaking love this song. :drool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QYfhgtY3l0

There are a few like that--fantastic quality audio and I guess the person just wanted to make that available to fans so s/he put it up even though there's no video.

OMG! That teacher rocks! :rockon:

I wonder if he is just a huge fan and thought it would be fun teaching them Tori songs or if the kids themselves were already into the music. Nevertheless that is so awesome to hear them sing a seemingly obscure song like Not The Red Baron. Such great performances too! :bow:

Screwtape2 said:

:ohmy:

I think this comes from the fact that it wasn't marketed very well. It also didn't help that the radio stations took Big Wheel out of rotation.

I think it comes from the fact that generally album sales tank.

Marketing and radio promo are linked to the marketing and promo budget of the record company. Apparently she´s not priority on Epic/SonyBMG. We´d have to compare the numbers to acts like Travis, JLo, Incubus and Good Charlotte.

This record has a long life ahead of it. Boys For Pele is her best-selling record with over a million copies sold but it started out selling very slowly. I don't really follow record sales numbers but my sense is that Tori probably sells slow and steady. She's sold over 12 million records throughout her career and this record has been critically acclaimed in just about every review I've read. I'm not worried. She's never been huge, probably never will be, but she seems to do just fine. Just wait til the tour hits the USA.

joyfulgirl said:
Just wait til the tour hits the USA.

The tour indeed could help things a little. I wish Tori well but with the current situation she´ll move another 100k if she´s lucky.

I'm not worried about Tori. I think she's set for life. Hell, I think Natasha is set for life!!!

Tori is doing what she loves and not giving a crap about sales or Top 40. Yeah, I'm sure every artist would like to expand their fan base, but you know, if the music is good, it will gather fans.

And we all know her loyal Toriphiles will follow her until the day she passes on, and then some!

So, yeah. I'm not sweatin' it.

And I don't think she is either.

:wink:

I got tickets for Tori's Melbourne show! :happy: :happy:

I'm so glad I checked my hotmail yesterday or I would have missed today's TicketBastard pre-sale; I even stuck a reminder note on my monitor at work so that I don't forget. My wallet really took a beating today because I also bought tickets for Regina Spektor's concert... I love my eccentric ladies, :)

Saracene said:
I got tickets for Tori's Melbourne show! :happy: :happy:

:applaud: I'm happy for you!

I really really really really want to see her live but don't know if I will be able to. It has to fall on a weekend because I have to drive far for any decent gigs now. :grumpy:

Back
Top Bottom