New Tori Amos Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like this album--I can tell it will grow on me. I don't get the whole multiple personalities thing, but whatever floats her boat. BTW, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but DON'T spend the extra cash for the version with the DVD--it's completely not worth it.

U2isthebest said:
So as I promised in the last album you bought thread, I sat down today with my iPod and listened to "Little Earthquakes"

I recently listened to LE after a long time between listens, and it was like hearing it for the first time. I'd forgotten how much I love that album.

corianderstem said:

I recently listened to LE after a long time between listens, and it was like hearing it for the first time. I'd forgotten how much I love that album.

I can still get goosebumps when I hear Crucify, specifically, from the first verse into "Ive been looking for a savior in these dirty streets..." It's nearly always like the first time. :heart:

Originally posted by Screwtape2
I mentioned that Pip sounded like early Tori. Do the other posse dolls remind you of a certain era of Tori's career? I wonder if that was intention?

I don't know if I'm tuned into each doll yet enough to say but I definitely get what you mean by Pip (sometimes reminds me of BFP, sometimes Choirgirl), and I hear influences from all Tori eras on this record.

corianderstem said:

I was watching an episode of Jools Holland this morning where she performed Me And A Gun. In a word, breathtaking. I also rediscovered Girl and Precious Things recently. Little Earthquakes is one of those eternal albums that just gets better with age. Just like Tori. :wink:

U2isthebest said:
So as I promised in the last album you bought thread, I sat down today with my iPod and listened to "Little Earthquakes"...OMG:drool: :love: :bow: it's one of the best albums I've heard in ages! Every song on it is brilliant and her voice is stunning. I will definitely be checking more of her work out! Every song, I kept telling myself, "I'll finish listening later, after I clean", but I could not put it down. I had to listen straight through. Thanks for convincing me dears!:hug: And LarryMullens_PopAngel, I think we live about 10 minutes from each other (if I'm remembering Myspace correctly), so if you hear anything about when Tori is coming to town, let me know...I might have to consider getting tickets too.

:up:

PS - I order my (Red) stuff online - can't be arsed to go to the nearest store. :wink:

Still not a huge fan of Code Red :wink: (although I do like it more than before). But lots of favorites now...

Teenage Hustling
Digital Ghost
You Can Bring Your Dog
Mr. Bad Man
Girl Disappearing
Secret Spell
Beauty Of Speed
Almost Rosey
Velvet Revolution
Dark Side Of The Sun

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Zootlesque said:
Still not a huge fan of Code Red :wink: (although I do like it more than before). But lots of favorites now...

Teenage Hustling
Digital Ghost
You Can Bring Your Dog
Mr. Bad Man
Girl Disappearing
Secret Spell
Beauty Of Speed
Almost Rosey
Velvet Revolution
Dark Side Of The Sun

Isn't it amazing how even the album is? It is almost symetrical in it's musical goodness. :drool: :drool: :drool: 20+ tracks and it's one of the most balanced albums that I've ever heard. Tori is a genius. :bow:

I was in my car a lot yesterday running errands and stuff and listened to ADP all day. Lyric of the day:

But you've been skankin' around
With your talentless trash

:lol:

U2isthebest said:
So as I promised in the last album you bought thread, I sat down today with my iPod and listened to "Little Earthquakes"...OMG:drool: :love: :bow: it's one of the best albums I've heard in ages! Every song on it is brilliant and her voice is stunning. I will definitely be checking more of her work out! Every song, I kept telling myself, "I'll finish listening later, after I clean", but I could not put it down. I had to listen straight through. Thanks for convincing me dears!:hug: And LarryMullens_PopAngel, I think we live about 10 minutes from each other (if I'm remembering Myspace correctly), so if you hear anything about when Tori is coming to town, let me know...I might have to consider getting tickets too.

:applaud: Yay! Another convert! :)

Yeah, go for Under The Pink. It's my personal favorite. A bit more challenging than Little Earthquakes, but well worth it! I think it's where she really slipped into her skin and went for it; where Tori became Tori.

I AM SO LOVING AMERICAN DOLL POSSE!!!! :applaud: To me, it's the best thing she's put out since To Venus And Back. Pretty much the only 2 tracks I don't absolutely love are Yo George and Almost Rosey, but still, I don't even hate either one of those, they're just ok to me.

But all the rest. :drool: :drool:

FitzChivalry said:

Pretty much the only 2 tracks I don't absolutely love are Yo George and Almost Rosey, but still, I don't even hate either one of those, they're just ok to me.

But all the rest. :drool: :drool:

Almost Rosey is the weakest track for me (today, anyway), followed closely by Dark Side of the Sun (I like the music, but not the lyrics--Tori works better with metaphor, IMO). Isabel is emerging as a least favorite doll. But like you, I don't intensely dislike anything.

I'm still overwhelmed by ADP, probably because I never have time to listen to it all straight through uninterrupted. :| And I can tell it's a fantastic album, but I just can't put it all together in my head yet.

Some new favorites, though, would be Teenage Hustling (that song is a tour de force) and Beauty of Speed (so pretty). :heart:

I've listened to the new album twice and while it will require more spins to sink in so far my impressions are very positive, :up: Probably Tori's strongest work since Choirgirl Hotel. Can't say I care much for the whole characters concept and the run from "Code Red" to "Almost Rosey" is kinda dullish (at least for now), but I love the musical variety and the rockier vibe.

No new album thread would be complete without lyric interpretation. So I wondering what you thought this part of Smokey Joe meant:

"A songless robin
She became
He stole my sister Clitorides.
These silken rubber gloves
Choking his vitriolic tongue"

Clitorides is Clyde so I'm really interested in figuring out what it means.

Speaking of lyrics, your post prompted me to actually sit with the liner notes and read some of the lyrics as I listened... something I don't do as often as I like to, because it requires giving your 100% attention to the music at hand.

Roosterspur Bridge, so freaking beautiful...

Drove all night thru Sliding Rock Falls
Thinking I'd find something that we'd lost
Can't remember when you stopped laughing
Or when I stopped wanting to win
Sometimes I think, I think I understand
The fear in the boy, the fire in the man...

What does that last line remind you of? :wink:

I'm liking Smokey Joe and Dragon more and more. :drool:

Sorry I cannot stop posting. This album is so freaking good! :combust:

edit: Btw, is anybody else having trouble reading the lyrics on the liner notes? I wish it wasn't in paragraph form, although I guess it's advantageous for space saving reasons. Scarlet's Walk was the same way. Beekeeper I'm not sure cos I don't have the original cd.

Last edited:
Look! My CD came with a different cover!

doll.jpg

:drool:

;)

It's a much better cover. :up:

Smokey Joe and Dragon :drool:

I haven't really delved into lyric interpretation yet but I'll let you know when I'm there.

But here's a funny misheard lyric from my friend:

This is your posse bonus
'cause I like you
Because I like
'cause I like you
cookie pie

:lol:

I was just looking through the liner notes again, and I realized I really am a Clyde girl. :heart:

With Beekeeper, I really couldn't see any common theme with the different songs being part of different gardens, but on this album, I'm definitely noticing the differences between the dolls and their separate songs.

Still can't get enough of Beauty of Speed. :cute:

Back
Top Bottom