New Tori Amos Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zootlesque said:

By the way, who else thinks that the picture of her, bible in hand with blood dripping down her leg would have made a MUCH better cover?! :slant:

:yes: Certainly would have been more interesting. I really haven't liked much of her artwork since Choirgirl and TVAB, although now I have a new appreciation for SW.

joyfulgirl said:

I don't agree at all that Boys for Pele should wait until after To Venus & Back. It's a masterpiece and follows the first two records perfectly and in fact, Choirgirl makes sense only after Pele, imo, because it marked a complete change in direction

Oh, I agree with that, Joyful. But more for U2IsBest, I was meaning that Choirgirl is more accessible than Pele. I don't think there's any doubt that Boys for Pele is a dense record, even though following Little Earthquakes and Under The Pink it makes a lot of sense due to her breakup with Eric Rosse.

I just meant for introductory purposes Choirgirl might be easier to digest than Boys for Pele . . . . . which my friend at the time Boys for Pele was released described to her concerned father as "oven-gas-sucking music". :lol:

HeartlandGirl wrote: Oh yeah. And I would go in order with Tori too. It worked for me. Then again, some of us longtime fans didn't have a choice.

:up: :yes: And I think we got the better end of the deal for it. :wink:

FitzChivalry said:

Oh, I agree with that, Joyful. But more for U2IsBest, I was meaning that Choirgirl is more accessible than Pele. I don't think there's any doubt that Boys for Pele is a dense record, even though following Little Earthquakes and Under The Pink it makes a lot of sense due to her breakup with Eric Rosse.

I just meant for introductory purposes Choirgirl might be easier to digest than Boys for Pele . . . . . which my friend at the time Boys for Pele was released described to her concerned father as "oven-gas-sucking music". :lol:

Gotcha. :up:

"oven-gas-sucking music" :lol:
I kinda wanted to pull out the razor blades after watching the Live in NYC video.

Dang, this new album is pretty good! I like having a new Tori album I like upon first listen. Yay, etc.

On the other hand, did it really need to be nearly 80 minutes long?

Dear Tori, please edit. kthxbye.

FitzChivalry said:
"oven-gas-sucking music"

:drool: :wink:

FitzChivalry said:
And I think we got the better end of the deal for it. :wink:

I actually went from Little Earthquakes to Under The Pink to years later, Beekeeper, then Scarlet's Walk, then Pele, Choirgirl & finally Venus. :eeklaugh: I still don't have Strange Little Girls.

As for the new album, I listened to it once all the way thru. My fav song is still Bouncing. This one's gonna be a grower I think.

corianderstem said:
On the other hand, did it really need to be nearly 80 minutes long?

Dear Tori, please edit. kthxbye.

:lmao:

She keeps breaking her own record!

I finally finished the album today in the car after starting it while doing some work last night. I quite like it.

--Big Wheel has finally started to grow on me :dance:

--The first five songs are ridiculously solid. I'm especially liking the triple threat of Bouncing, Teenage Hustling, and Digital Ghost. :drool:

--I tend to like the Tori, Clyde, and Pip songs more than the Santa and Isabel ones.

--I really liked the last two songs, Smokey Joe and Dragon.

Now I need to give the middle of the album a proper listen. Like Zoots, Bouncing Off Clouds is still my favorite, but I have a good feeling about the album as a whole.

*waits patiently for Zootles and HG to fall in love with ADP*

I also love that triple threat, HG. :drool:

Am I the only one with Code Red on repeat?

I'm softening on Big Wheel. Although I'm still skipping it, I no longer hate it with the passion I did on the first few listens, lol. And I do think it could be fun live.

In fact, there's really nothing on this record I seriously dislike. There are some fillers, a couple of songs that sound a bit like SW or Beekeeper b-sides, but even they're okay.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I really dislike Yo George, not really necessary, IMO.

I really dislike George so I live with Yo George, lol. But eventually I'll probably burn a copy without the first two songs. :reject:

Ok, just bought it last night and have only listened to the first 7 songs, but . . . .

WOOO-HOOO! My old Tori is back!!!!!!

I'm LOVIN' this album so far! Especially #6, the one with something about the "Dog". Tori and Dog songs just kick ass: Spacedog and now this new one. :yes:

Can't wait to hear the rest of it! :hyper:

I think Fat Slut is kinda unnecessary. :uhoh: I do like Yo George despite the oft repeated subject matter. Plus it's short anyway, it's not like she goes on and on about Bush! Joyful is gonna hate me... but I really cannot get into Code Red so far. Listened to it just now in the car on my way back from work and it feels totally unmemorable. :( Like I said before, maybe it'll grow on me. This album to me is kinda like Scarlet's Walk.. that one took a few weeks for me to appreciate all the songs. Initiially, nothing really stood out, they all sounded similar. On a positive note, I'm starting to appreciate Girl Disappearing, Secret Spell and Teenage Hustling to an extent.

Zootlesque said:
I think Fat Slut is kinda unnecessary. :uhoh:

I'd totally edit out Flat Slut but since it's there, today in the car it made me laugh going from the perky Mr Big Man to the harsh Fat Slut. Sounded like something I'd do on a mix.

Zootlesque said:

Joyful is gonna hate me... but I really cannot get into Code Red so far. Listened to it just now in the car on my way back from work and it feels totally unmemorable.

Nah, you and I both love Tori but we almost never love the same songs. That's what's so great about Tori...something for everyone. I think Code Red is one of the best things I've heard from Tori since the late 90s. But who knows, maybe by next week I'll be sick of it and will have discovered a new favorite. :wink:

Do I need to go back and find all the quotes from you each time you bought a new Tori record where you didn't think you were going to like it and then you came back a week later and were like, blown away?? Huh?? Do I??? :lmao:

joyfulgirl said:
Do I need to go back and find all the quotes from you each time you bought a new Tori record where you didn't think you were going to like it and then you came back a week later and were like, blown away??

I think I remember when I used those words "blown away" too! :laugh:

Ok, so on lunch I got up through #17 and I have to say, "DAMN!" There is no song yet that I dislike! There's a couple meh kind of songs, but otherwise I'm LOVING this album!!!

Amazing, I really didn't think she had an album like this left in her. I'm SO glad she f*****g proved me wrong!!!!! :applaud:

FitzChivalry said:
Ok, so on lunch I got up through #17 and I have to say, "DAMN!" There is no song yet that I dislike! There's a couple meh kind of songs, but otherwise I'm LOVING this album!!!

Amazing, I really didn't think she had an album like this left in her. I'm SO glad she f*****g proved me wrong!!!!! :applaud:

Agree completely. I loved SW but after Beekeeper I was wondering if she was permanently slipping into adult contemporary blah as well.

Guess who's back
Back again
Tori's back
Tell a friend
:dancing:

:yes: Code Red is excellent.

Actually, the other triple threat of Code Red, Roosterspur Bridge, and Beauty of Speed... :drool: Really liking those right now. Velvet Revolution is another favorite.

I'm with Zoots. This reminds me of Scarlet, where the amount of songs is a bit overwhelming, but over time they start to emerge one by one until you love them all. I admit to feeling overwhelmed by this album still...just need more time.

As for Yo George, I like my political music to be a little bit more "fuck you" and in your face (reference Manic Street Preachers), but this song is alright. Probably not necessary, but I'm not skipping it.

Am I the only one paying attention to the doll theme? Looking through who sings what, I am definitely on board with Clyde's songs more than any of the others'.

And Zoots, this is ridiculous. Buy Strange Little Girls immediately. It's worth it alone for Real Men, Time, and Rattlesnakes. :heart:

HeartlandGirl said:
:yes: Code Red is excellent.

Actually, the other triple threat of Code Red, Roosterspur Bridge, and Beauty of Speed... :drool: Really liking those right now. Velvet Revolution is another favorite.

Am I the only one paying attention to the doll theme? Looking through who sings what, I am definitely on board with Clyde's songs more than any of the others'.

Yes, I love that triple threat plus Velvet Revolution, too.

I'm starting to pay attention to the dolls. I am definitely on board with Tori and Clyde. :yes:

Clyde :drool:

Haha, yeah, that interview is bizarre. Like a therapy session gone wrong or something. But I still love her. Underneath it all, she's saying some important stuff.

I really love Pip's songs. They remind me of early Tori. I also love Santa. :drool: Digital Ghost and Smokey Joe are rapidly becoming some of my favorite songs alongside Little Earthquakes and Cruel. Unfortunately, it seems like I'm the only one here that loves Yo George.

On a slightly different topic, when listening to tracks 2-5 I found myself thinking that this is what I envision the possible sound of U2's next album being from the band's quotes. Anyone else hear that?

Screwtape2 said:
Digital Ghost and Smokey Joe are rapidly becoming some of my favorite songs alongside Little Earthquakes and Cruel. Unfortunately, it seems like I'm the only one here that loves Yo George.

I think Smokey Joe is fantastic!! It's so haunting and creepy and classic Tori. I love the background vocals. That and Code Red are my favorites. Yo George I really don't mind.

Listening to ADP on my iPod last night for the first time (vs. in the car or in the background) I can easily say I think it's her best work in a long time. I think I pretty much love it all the way through, even the fillers. I hear the best of all of her periods coming through on this one. There are songs that are reminiscent of the LE/UTP/BFP era, Choirgirl/SLG/TVAB, and SW/Beekeeper. It's like every Tori record rolled into one and it works.

Last night I was also browsing through her catalog on my iTunes and playing random songs, and much like my other favorite artists (U2, Radiohead, Wilco) I pretty much love or like everything. What an amazing career she's had. What a stunning body of work.

The tour is going to be :drool: and possibly harder to get tickets for.

So as I promised in the last album you bought thread, I sat down today with my iPod and listened to "Little Earthquakes"...OMG:drool: :love: :bow: it's one of the best albums I've heard in ages! Every song on it is brilliant and her voice is stunning. I will definitely be checking more of her work out! Every song, I kept telling myself, "I'll finish listening later, after I clean", but I could not put it down. I had to listen straight through. Thanks for convincing me dears!:hug: And LarryMullens_PopAngel, I think we live about 10 minutes from each other (if I'm remembering Myspace correctly), so if you hear anything about when Tori is coming to town, let me know...I might have to consider getting tickets too.

Back
Top Bottom