New Tori Amos Album - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2007, 07:26 PM   #91
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
lol, no...just...I don't know...can't get into it
If you couldn't tell from my comment, I wasn't all that keen on it either. It sounds like a Dixie Chicks song gone terribly awry.

But hey, 23 songs. There's gotta be something for everyone, right?

Old 03-28-2007, 07:35 PM   #92
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:30 PM
I don't understand it. Is it not experimental enough for you ladies? Maybe that cover really built up your expectations too much!

Old 03-28-2007, 08:04 PM   #93
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
I don't understand it. Is it not experimental enough for you ladies? Maybe that cover really built up your expectations too much!
It's not even remotely experimental but that's not the issue. It's just...corny or something. I don't like the guitar or the countdown or, yes, the MILF part, which just sounds like a desperate attempt to stay relevant even though the term is fairly dated at this point.

I guess that sounds harsh but my disappointment at hearing this first song is almost as great as when I heard the first song from The Beekeeper, which was the horribly adult contemporary "Sleeps With Butterflies," although I've softened my opinion on that after hearing the reason why she made a lite record (her daughter).

But HG is right. 23 songs! There must be some instant classic Tori gems on there.

But I'm glad you like Big Wheel, Zootles.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:21 PM   #94
Blue Crack Supplier

I liked the Beekeeper too so maybe I'm easy to please or something.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:55 PM   #95
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by HeartlandGirl
But hey, 23 songs. There's gotta be something for everyone, right?
... or once again in dire need of some editing.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:08 PM   #96
Blue Crack Supplier

What's up with the negativity? We're not talking about U2 here, people!
Old 03-28-2007, 10:26 PM   #97
Blue Crack Distributor

She's let me down too much with her last two efforts*. She's gonna have to do something pretty darned good with this one to win me back over into Toridom.

*I don't dislike Scarlet's Walk per se, I just didn't get into it. But The Beekeeper bored me to damn tears.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:44 AM   #98
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Hmm...this is probably another case of Group A (fans from early on) vs. Group B (fans of the newer stuff). Different sounds appeal to the different groups. Something about "Bouncing Off Clouds"...yes, I dig it. "Big Wheel"...?

Gah. This record just needs to hurry up and come out already so we can hear the whole thing and see what it's all about.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:46 AM   #99
Blue Crack Addict

I still can't wait for the record and the tour. Ain't no Big Wheel keeping me down.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:49 AM   #100
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by HeartlandGirl
Hmm...this is probably another case of Group A (fans from early on) vs. Group B (fans of the newer stuff). Different sounds appeal to the different groups. Something about "Bouncing Off Clouds"...yes, I dig it. "Big Wheel"...?

Gah. This record just needs to hurry up and come out already so we can hear the whole thing and see what it's all about.

Tori, Bjork and Wilco all come out at about the same time.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:25 AM   #101
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
She's let me down too much with her last two efforts*. She's gonna have to do something pretty darned good with this one to win me back over into Toridom.

*I don't dislike Scarlet's Walk per se, I just didn't get into it. But The Beekeeper bored me to damn tears.

Got a couple of questions for ya corianderstem... and really, it's open to HG and Joyful or whoever wants to answer it!

a. How would you compare Scarlet's Walk to ATYCLB?

b. How would you compare The Beekeeper to HTDAAB?

I don't mean to unnecessarily start comparing 2 different albums or artists but if you think about it, both artists abandoned the experimentation and came back to straight forward music early this decade.

To me, those Tori albums are more appealing than the U2 counterparts. But I'm wondering if it's because I got familiar with most of Tori's material much later compared to U2's. That said, with both artists I think I prefer the album that came before.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:25 AM   #102
Blue Crack Distributor

I don't know that I'd even want to compare Tori's albums to U2's, but let me just say this:

I like U2's songs on both albums much more than I like Tori's songs on both albums.

But you know what, I'm a bigger fan of U2 than I am of Tori overall, so the comparison wouldn't work with me.

I WANT to like Tori again, and will always continue to buy her albums.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:34 AM   #103
Blue Crack Addict

I get what you're saying. But I consider SW to be one of Tori's masterpieces though I understand why it didn't appeal to everyone. SW brought Tori a whole new fanbase and most hardcore fans ended up loving it after giving it some time. Beekeeper, on the other hand, is nearly universally hated by the fans over on the Tori forum. So I wouldn't compare Beekeeper to HTDAAB in that sense. But I do think there is a similar division among fans with regard to Tori's early work vs. latter, (just like with Radiohead, U2 and Wilco), as HG was saying.

And though Beekeeper was disappointing to me, I really respect that she wanted to make records that her daughter could appreciate, much like Johnny Depp only wanted to make movies his kids could watch until they got older. So we got songs like Ribbons & Curls and Sleeps with Butterflies. I can't help but hope there will be something as exciting and out there as Blood Roses or iieee but I'd settle for some good solid pop songs like Tear in Your Hand or the lushness of something like I Can't See New York.

But Tori's still an exciting performer and though some tours are better than others, I still love watching and hearing her play live regardless of the songs. I just don't get too attached anymore to hearing certain songs and I'm happy to hear her voice and watch her play.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:38 AM   #104
Blue Crack Addict

Oh, and I will also say that I love Scarlet's Walk a LOT more than either ATYCLB or HTDAAB. I still listen to it all the time and pretty much never listen to either of those U2 records. SW is just so nice to have on in the background.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:09 PM   #105
Blue Crack Distributor

I didn't care for Strange Little Girls all that much at first, but over time it really grew on me. Now I really like it for the most part, save for a few songs I still can't stand.

Scarlet's Walk, while it definitely has some very high points, never quite grew on me. It still might.

Tags
tori amos