New Tori Amos Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
joyfulgirl said:
lol, no...just...I don't know...can't get into it :shrug:

If you couldn't tell from my comment, I wasn't all that keen on it either. It sounds like a Dixie Chicks song gone terribly awry. :|

But hey, 23 songs. There's gotta be something for everyone, right?

I don't understand it. Is it not experimental enough for you ladies? :sexywink: Maybe that cover really built up your expectations too much! :lol:

Zootlesque said:
I don't understand it. Is it not experimental enough for you ladies? :sexywink: Maybe that cover really built up your expectations too much! :lol:

It's not even remotely experimental but that's not the issue. It's just...corny or something. I don't like the guitar or the countdown or, yes, the MILF part, which just sounds like a desperate attempt to stay relevant even though the term is fairly dated at this point.

I guess that sounds harsh but my disappointment at hearing this first song is almost as great as when I heard the first song from The Beekeeper, which was the horribly adult contemporary "Sleeps With Butterflies," although I've softened my opinion on that after hearing the reason why she made a lite record (her daughter).

But HG is right. 23 songs! There must be some instant classic Tori gems on there. :yes:

But I'm glad you like Big Wheel, Zootles. :)

She's let me down too much with her last two efforts*. She's gonna have to do something pretty darned good with this one to win me back over into Toridom.

*I don't dislike Scarlet's Walk per se, I just didn't get into it. But The Beekeeper bored me to damn tears.

Hmm...this is probably another case of Group A (fans from early on) vs. Group B (fans of the newer stuff). Different sounds appeal to the different groups. Something about "Bouncing Off Clouds"...yes, I dig it. "Big Wheel"...? :uhoh:

Gah. This record just needs to hurry up and come out already so we can hear the whole thing and see what it's all about.

I still can't wait for the record and the tour. Ain't no Big Wheel keeping me down. :hyper:

Last edited:
HeartlandGirl said:
Hmm...this is probably another case of Group A (fans from early on) vs. Group B (fans of the newer stuff). Different sounds appeal to the different groups. Something about "Bouncing Off Clouds"...yes, I dig it. "Big Wheel"...? :uhoh:

Gah. This record just needs to hurry up and come out already so we can hear the whole thing and see what it's all about.

:yes:

Tori, Bjork and Wilco all come out at about the same time. :combust:

corianderstem said:
She's let me down too much with her last two efforts*. She's gonna have to do something pretty darned good with this one to win me back over into Toridom.

*I don't dislike Scarlet's Walk per se, I just didn't get into it. But The Beekeeper bored me to damn tears.

:ohmy:

:hmm:

Got a couple of questions for ya corianderstem... and really, it's open to HG and Joyful or whoever wants to answer it!

a. How would you compare Scarlet's Walk to ATYCLB?

b. How would you compare The Beekeeper to HTDAAB?

I don't mean to unnecessarily start comparing 2 different albums or artists but if you think about it, both artists abandoned the experimentation and came back to straight forward music early this decade.

To me, those Tori albums are more appealing than the U2 counterparts. But I'm wondering if it's because I got familiar with most of Tori's material much later compared to U2's. That said, with both artists I think I prefer the album that came before.

I don't know that I'd even want to compare Tori's albums to U2's, but let me just say this:

I like U2's songs on both albums much more than I like Tori's songs on both albums.

But you know what, I'm a bigger fan of U2 than I am of Tori overall, so the comparison wouldn't work with me. :shrug:

I WANT to like Tori again, and will always continue to buy her albums.

I get what you're saying. But I consider SW to be one of Tori's masterpieces though I understand why it didn't appeal to everyone. SW brought Tori a whole new fanbase and most hardcore fans ended up loving it after giving it some time. Beekeeper, on the other hand, is nearly universally hated by the fans over on the Tori forum. So I wouldn't compare Beekeeper to HTDAAB in that sense. But I do think there is a similar division among fans with regard to Tori's early work vs. latter, (just like with Radiohead, U2 and Wilco), as HG was saying.

And though Beekeeper was disappointing to me, I really respect that she wanted to make records that her daughter could appreciate, much like Johnny Depp only wanted to make movies his kids could watch until they got older. So we got songs like Ribbons & Curls and Sleeps with Butterflies. I can't help but hope there will be something as exciting and out there as Blood Roses or iieee but I'd settle for some good solid pop songs like Tear in Your Hand or the lushness of something like I Can't See New York.

But Tori's still an exciting performer and though some tours are better than others, I still love watching and hearing her play live regardless of the songs. I just don't get too attached anymore to hearing certain songs and I'm happy to hear her voice and watch her play.

Oh, and I will also say that I love Scarlet's Walk a LOT more than either ATYCLB or HTDAAB. I still listen to it all the time and pretty much never listen to either of those U2 records. SW is just so nice to have on in the background.

I didn't care for Strange Little Girls all that much at first, but over time it really grew on me. Now I really like it for the most part, save for a few songs I still can't stand.

Scarlet's Walk, while it definitely has some very high points, never quite grew on me. It still might. :wink:

Okay, I'm on Tori's mailing list and just got an email with the full version of "Bouncing off Clouds." I can't figure out how to post the link here, it won't let me or could always be user error (most likely). Anyway, I am happy to report that I loved it on the first listen. It's got a great piano groove. This should be the first single, not the dreaded Big Wheel. Makes me very excited for the record. :hyper:

Anyway, if anyone wants to hear it, post your email address and I'll forward it to you.

I love Tori. :dancing:

Wow. Just wow. The bridge is simply beautiful. This is so much more to my liking. :love:

How's everyone feeling about the posse? Brownie points to Clyde for this song and for having artwork by Tamara de Lempicka on her blog. I guess this means I'm buying into the whole posse idea. Looking forward to getting to know another doll next week.

Oh yeah, and the lyric "painted in mint ice cream"... :heart:

I gotta tell you, I'm playing it over and over and over... :love:

I still haven't given much attention to the posse concept. :reject:

I heard Big Wheel this morning, and I liked it!

I could really do without the whole "MILF" thing in there, but other than that, I thought it was good.

:up:

Haha, yeah, I came here to post that I couldn't stop listening to it. And the singing along is starting to begin. :heart:

corianderstem said:
I heard Big Wheel this morning, and I liked it!

I could really do without the whole "MILF" thing in there, but other than that, I thought it was good.

:up:

Cool! Go listen to Bouncing off Clouds. :yes:

HeartlandGirl said:
Haha, yeah, I came here to post that I couldn't stop listening to it. And the singing along is starting to begin. :heart:

I'm dancing like a mad white girl. :heart:

So, do you think Zoots will hate Bouncing Off Clouds? :macdevil:

I'm becoming more and more intrigued by the posse concept. I wonder if I'll like all the songs by one doll and none by another...stuff like that.

Damn, this song is fantastic. :drool:

Visual aid :drool:

Bouncing off of clouds
We were
Is there a lone lost-and-found

Make it easy
Make this easy
It’s not as heavy as it seems
Wrapped in metal
Wrapped in ivy
Painted in mint ice cream

We could be bouncing off the top of this cloud
(I’ve put on my silver)
Bouncing off the top of this cloud

Failure to respond worked
I talked but did you listen

(I’ve put on my silver)
Ooh but would you say has it come to this
(I’ve put on my silver)

Well you can stare all day at the sky
But that won’t bring him back
That won’t bring him back
You say you’re waiting on fate
But I think fate is not
I think we decide
Where we take our lives

Make it easy
Easy
Easy
We could make this easy
Easy love
Easy

We could make this easy
Make this easy
Make this easy
Make this easy

Wrapped in metal
Wrapped in ivy
Big umbrellas smiling

We could be bouncing off the top of this cloud
(I’ve put on my silver)
(I’ve put on my silver)

(I’ve put on my silver)
(I’ve put on my silver)

Bouncing off of clouds
We were•

Last edited:

So I was just on Tori's website, and I listened to the message from her. She says all the dolls are going on tour? And that they're shopping right now? :uhoh: I wonder what that's gonna be like. Costume changes? Half a set of doll stuff, then just a Tori set? :hmm: This is getting weirder by the minute.

HeartlandGirl said:

Costume changes? Half a set of doll stuff, then just a Tori set? :hmm:

They're speculating about this over on the Tori forum. But it could be more that the girls show up in spirit. That would be Tori-like. Or maybe it's a set design thing like with the Roadside Cafe or whatever it was called on the last tour.

Back
Top Bottom