New Tori Amos Album - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2007, 09:46 AM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Location: and if you don't know where you're going...any road will take you there..
Local Time: 03:21 AM

Old 02-23-2007, 10:32 PM   #47
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:21 AM
I didn't want to start a new thread on this as we all know how long Tori threads stay up in this forum. Anyway, just wanted to say that To Venus And Back has been the hardest album of originals for me to get into. I still haven't listened to Strange Little Girls but that's all covers anyway. But yeah, Venus... esp. the second half of Disc 1 is Even Choirgirl is easier to listen to!

Old 02-23-2007, 10:36 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
I didn't want to start a new thread on this as we all know how long Tori threads stay up in this forum. Anyway, just wanted to say that To Venus And Back has been the hardest album of originals for me to get into. I still haven't listened to Strange Little Girls but that's all covers anyway. But yeah, Venus... esp. the second half of Disc 1 is Even Choirgirl is easier to listen to!
Strange Little Girls is something that you should really listen to. Her cover of Enjoy The Silence is breathtaking. Give To Venus And Back a little more time, it will grow on you. Well...hopefully. It is a great album.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:04 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:21 AM

Quote:

Zoots! *throws cold water on your face* Snap out of it man! You're missing some great stuff!

I really do love the second half of To Venus and Back. My favorite song on there is probably the one that's bothering you most..."Datura." Eight and a half minutes of Tori chanting flower names is a bit strange and overwhelming, I will give you that, but what really gets me there is when she sings "Is there room in my heart for you to follow your heart, and not need more blood from the tip of your star." Excellent lyrics. And the end of the song, where she sings "dividing Canaan" over and over is really nice for going into a trance and letting the music carry you away. Not to mention the other songs. 1000 Oceans, Spring Haze, and Josephine are true beauties. So maybe give it a few more tries?

And Strange Little Girls is more than worthy of your time. Yes, they're covers, but some of them are downright brilliant. Real Men, Rattlesnakes, and Time are my three favorites. Tori just owns those songs, and they're some of my favorite Tori songs to listen to. Ever.

I think what's going on is that you're more into the recent calm Tori, whereas I (and some others around here) grew up on crazy, controversial Tori and really love that aspect of her older music. But just keep plugging away at the weird stuff...some of those songs can take years to grow on you.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:36 PM   #50
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by HeartlandGirl
Zoots! *throws cold water on your face* Snap out of it man!

Quote:
I think what's going on is that you're more into the recent calm Tori, whereas I (and some others around here) grew up on crazy, controversial Tori and really love that aspect of her older music. But just keep plugging away at the weird stuff...some of those songs can take years to grow on you.
Yeah I think you're right somewhat. My fav albums of hers are Earthquakes, Pink, Scarlet and Beekeeper. Pele, Choirgirl and Venus I like but not as much. But I love Datura! It IS like a trance! I'm going to listen to this album again.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:58 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

LOL at HG. And of course she's right. Get a grip, Zootle!

Hey, try this live version of Spring Haze. I find the production on Venus to be a bit fuzzy (probably intentionally) but I love the songs.

http://www. ysi.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=89AFB38B05724535
Old 02-24-2007, 07:00 PM   #52
Blue Crack Supplier

Thanks Joyful!
Old 02-24-2007, 08:21 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I still think her first (second) album Little Earthquakes is the best. Recently I heard it and the lyrics still surprise me after knowing them for more than a decade.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:53 PM   #54
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Yeah I think you're right somewhat. My fav albums of hers are Earthquakes, Pink, Scarlet and Beekeeper. Pele, Choirgirl and Venus I like but not as much.
Okay I've just realized that the above is utterly false. Or atleast not always true. Sometimes I'm in a mood for experimental stuff and sometimes in a more conservative mood. The last couple of days I've been listening to Pele and Choirgirl obsessively. esp. Choigirl Thing is Pele is this huge ambitious album with some brilliant songs, some good ones and a bit of filler. Choirgirl seems more concise with some fucking mindblowing songs. Listening to Spark and then to that grinding intro of Cruel = Except for Cocaine, I pretty much like every other song!
Old 03-01-2007, 05:42 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
. . . whereas I (and some others around here) grew up on crazy, controversial Tori and really love that aspect of her older music.

That's me! One of my friends calls her "Demon Tori" when she just goes all aggro live.

I LOVE crazy Tori! And I LOVE "To Venus And Back" "Bliss" and "Lust"

I couldn't even get through "Beekeeper" and "Scarlet's Walk" is good, I will admit that, but for me it's a bit long, and a bit too-much-the-same so that the whole album starts to sound like one-long song to me.

Bring back our "Blood Roses", "Professional Widow", "Leather", "Happy Phantom", "The Waitress", "Datura" Tori!!!

To quote Bono: "I'm ready for what's next!"

Old 03-01-2007, 11:37 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Except for Cocaine, I pretty much like every other song!
"She's Your Cocaine" never really worked for me either.

But I am all about "Hotel," which I think is definitely one of her weirder songs, at least for that album.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:43 PM   #57
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
Hey, try this live version of Spring Haze. I find the production on Venus to be a bit fuzzy (probably intentionally) but I love the songs.

http://www. ysi.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=89AFB38B05724535
Holy shit! I love that version. It is indeed better than the album version. It has made me pay more attention to the album version. I like Venus a lot more now. You ladies were right.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:10 PM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:21 AM
this hasnt leaked yet?
Old 03-03-2007, 07:55 PM   #59
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man
this hasnt leaked yet?
Do you ever buy anything?
Old 03-03-2007, 07:58 PM   #60
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:21 AM
Quote:

Do you ever buy anything?
yes. but i cannot buy it before it is released.

Tags
tori amos