new to pearl jam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the rockin edge

Blue Crack Addict
ok, i have a question.

i don't have any pearl jam & would like to start listening to them, any recommendations for what to start with?

i have an offer for one of these live releases:

04/28/03 First Union Spectrum
05/03/03 Bryce-Jordan Center
07/05/03 Tweeter Center
10/22/03 Benaroya Hall

would any of these be good for a newbie to pearl jam? any album recommendations welcome too :D

I think the hits compilation looks a good deal. I don't own it, but it seems to offer a pretty decent overview of the band's material.

I listen to them only sporadically now but my favourite album of theirs is 'Yield'. It's got all sorts of different moods to it and some fantastic songs ('Lowlight', 'Do The Evolution', 'MFC', 'In Hiding', 'Given To Fly' etc.)

Ten
Vitalogy
Yield

that's a good start

Ten is incredible, but sonically dated, Vitalogy is their best and Yield is the last great one. All my opinon of course.

Also Vs and No Code are great as well.
The last two are mediocre.

yertle-the-turtle said:
I think the hits compilation looks a good deal. I don't own it, but it seems to offer a pretty decent overview of the band's material.

:up:

I don't know about their live recordings but for albums, I would just go chronologically! Definitely get Ten first! :drool: :love: :combust:

Jeremy is probably still the best song in the PJ catalog. Although admittedly I haven't heard much of what they've done since 98 or so.

all of those tweeter center shows are amazing.
i'd try that one. it's just like a greatest hits.
otherwise, just work through their albums in chronological order. fantastic band.

For the albums: I recommend doing what Zoots said and start at the beginning. If you like Ten, keep going.

Both of their compilations--the B-sides/outtakes/rarities comp Lost Dogs and and the hits cash-in Rearviewmirror--are very good, though. Especially since both contain non-album tracks that among their best work, so even if you later get all of their albums, they won't be redundant. And they're double-discers are a normal price. Such is their awesomeness that even their compilations don't suck.

For the bootlegs:
the rockin edge said:
04/28/03 First Union Spectrum
05/03/03 Bryce-Jordan Center
07/05/03 Tweeter Center
10/22/03 Benaroya Hall
The Benaroya Hall gig is an acoustic set. It has a lot of their darker and slower songs. I'd check it out if you want to hear another side of the band (as a counterpoint to whatever album you end up getting).

The other three are all very solid shows. I think the 5/3 show is the best out of those, but you can't really go wrong with any of them.

If you ever wanna download some more PJ boots, you can find a bunch here.

dudeman said:
all of those tweeter center shows are amazing.
i'd try that one. it's just like a greatest hits.
otherwise, just work through their albums in chronological order. fantastic band.

cheers, tweeter it is :up:

thanks for all the comments guys, the local library has vitalogy so that's easy :up: they don't have ten though :(

but the tweeter show has stuff from ten on it.

Re: Re: new to pearl jam

typhoon said:
For the albums: I recommend doing what Zoots said and start at the beginning. If you like Ten, keep going.

Both of their compilations--the B-sides/outtakes/rarities comp Lost Dogs and and the hits cash-in Rearviewmirror--are very good, though. Especially since both contain non-album tracks that among their best work, so even if you later get all of their albums, they won't be redundant. And they're double-discers are a normal price. Such is their awesomeness that even their compilations don't suck.

thanks, that's good to know, especially the Bsides etc :up:

typhoon said:

For the bootlegs:

The other three are all very solid shows. I think the 5/3 show is the best out of those, but you can't really go wrong with any of them.

If you ever wanna download some more PJ boots, you can find a bunch here.

thanks, i had just sent an email regarding the tweeter show :wink:

and thanks a ton for that link :up:

if your intrested in getting to know Pearl Jam you should also check out Temple of the Dog, for songs like Hunger Strike and Wooden Jesus. this band was formed with most of the future members of pearl jam and soundgarden, before they formed their own bands. some members also came from the band Mother Love Bone before that.

good stuff :up:

The last two albums are inferior but still good.

I would rank the albums like that:
1. No Code
2. Vs.
3. Vitalogy
4. Yield
5. Ten
6. Riot Act
7. Binatural

But all are worth a listening.
My favourite songs are Alive, Corduroy, In My Tree, Off He Goes, Rearviewmirror, Daughter and Hail Hail

I hope you like them... they're my 2nd favourite band :drool:

MacPhistoPT said:
The last two albums are inferior but still good.

I would rank the albums like that:
1. No Code
2. Vs.
3. Vitalogy
4. Yield
5. Ten
6. Riot Act
7. Binatural

But all are worth a listening.
My favourite songs are Alive, Corduroy, In My Tree, Off He Goes, Rearviewmirror, Daughter and Hail Hail

I hope you like them... they're my 2nd favourite band :drool:

I concur with your ranking order ;)

Typhoon is absolutely right about the compilations...they're worth picking up. In fact, Rearviewmirror features a few of the overproduced tracks from Ten and brings them back down to earth, makes them more listenable. Lost Dogs is full of quirky and relatively unheard of stuff. (I really love Sad, from the first disc.)

Pearl Jam are incredible live. They may be the best live act in the world. This said, all shows are great. I've been fortunate enough to see them three times, with two of these right here in my very tiny province. The most definitive show, however, may be the hometown Seattle concert on November 6th, 2000.

As well, if you happen to be a Neil Young fan, PJ were his backing band for the album Mirror Ball. That was a very cool moment in time.

Good luck with your collection :up:

Back
Top Bottom