New Sparta album info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2popmofo

Blue Meth Addict
Not sure if anyone else here really likes Sparta or not. They're one of the post-At the Drive-In split up bands. I really liked their debut album, and they're great live also. Anyways, here's the info.

Album Title: Porcelain
Release Date: July 13

Tracklist:

01 Guns Of Memorial Park
02 Hiss The Villain
03 While Oceana Sleeps
04 La Cerca
05 Breaking The Broken
06 Lines In Sand
07 End Moraine
08 Death In The Family
09 Syncope
10 Tensioning
11 Travel By Bloodline
12 P.O.M.E.
13 From Now To Never
14 Splinters

:up:

i'm still annoyed that they opened for bad religion last year, but left the tour right before it came here. would have been great to see them open instead of s.t.u.n.

i may get that album.

i caught the last 15 minutes of their set @ coachella. they sounded f'ing great!

HeadsOnSticks said:
i caught the last 15 minutes of their set @ coachella. they sounded f'ing great!

I was wondering if you heard them or not.

u2popmofo said:

I was wondering if you heard them or not.

not as much as i would've liked but, you know how it is with these big festivals. chaos. i missed the stills on saturday which really bummed me out, but ...and you will know us by the trail of the dead made up for the loss. also, joan jett joined the desert sessions (josh homme) for a sick cover of one of her songs. i was, however, disappointed to see that josh has now included his gf brody from the distillers in the desert sessions lineup. power of the "p" i guess.....

Whoa, Trail of Dead too!!! :up:

I'm worried about Homme, it seems that QOTSA is completely done for the time being, that doesnt make me happy.

Back to Sparta, in some ways I'm almost surprised that their first album did well enough that Dreamworks is letting them do a second. Hopefully this one does well also, I much prefer their sound/style to Mars Volta.

Just wanted to say that I've REALLY been digging this album. Got it the day it came out, and have been very happy with the 'on the spot' decision (thanks to HLG for talking me into buying it while it was still on sale) I've been glad to see it's been getting some fairly decent reviews also (Allmusic and Spin LOVED it, and even Pitchfork had some good things to say about it). I'm still not sure if I like this album better than their first or not. Both have their strong points, and feel different in certain ways.

I personally think these guys are laying down some of the coolest guitar parts in rock, angular riffs interwoven into pure rocking bliss. I really would recommend Sparta for that aspect alone, it's worth hearing.

My favorites from the album presently include:

Tensioning (easily my favorite on the album, I'm extremely obsessed with this song lately)
While Oceana Sleeps
Breaking the Broken
End Moraine
Guns of Memorial Park

Honestly though, I'm digging every song on the new album......and every song on their first album....

EDIT:
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/s/sparta/porcelain.shtml

The last 2 paragraphs of the Pitchfork review are worth reading for the little discourse/rant the guy gives on the 'emo' classification that a lot of bands get placed under. It's somewhat humorous. :up:

Last edited:
i still haven't bought it. i like what i've heard, though. unfortunatly that's only been the first 3 songs...

They're a good 3 :up: :wink:

Seriously, try to check out the others I mentioned if you ever have time. 'Breaking the Broken' was released as the first single, and was a pretty good choice. 'Tensioning' is seriously the shizzit though. :up:

Last edited:
i will check them out :up: i'll probably play one of them on my show this week.

u2popmofo said:
(thanks to HLG for talking me into buying it while it was still on sale)

I do what I can... :wink:

Seriously, I'm glad you're liking it and that I didn't talk you into buying something that sucks. Then I might have to feel bad and doubt my own CD purchasing instincts!

Rono said:
What was their first one ? Wire tap scares is on its way to me. :up:

First album of their's is Wiretap Scars. I hope you enjoy it! :up:

This new one, Porcelain, is great too!

we heard them on the car radio today and were struck by how much they sounded like U2. I was going to post about them in the "waht are you listening to thread" but couldn't recall the song title. I see now from your track list up there it was "Breaking the Broken"

maybe it is just this one particular song, but vocal, guitar effect, bass were very reminiscent of U2 :heart:

Hmmm....that's a comparison I wouldn't make. I do like both bands though.

Glad you liked the song!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom