New Ryan Adams Song For Download - Trying To Be Bono?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hotel Chelsea Nights is just a stunning song, that is a song which reminds me of Bono far more than So Alive

and how someone could turn Wonderwall, a stupid song where you have to be pissed drunk to sing really tone deaf to at a concert where theres lots of drunkedness. into a song with mystery, darkness and intrigue, is just a stroke of pure genius

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Damn, any new songs on it? Or just the two combined?

It doesn't sound like any other songs will be put on it. :( We don't know the tracklisting yet. We are hoping that Lost Highway will put the tracks in the order that Ryan intended for them to be.

"Hotel Chelsea Nights" is one of my fave tracks from LIH. And, yes, "Wonderwall" is just amazing. I had heard live versions from bootlegs, and I was always captivated...so glad that it got an official release.

Ah, I love reading all of this positive Ryan stuff. :heart: Ryan has truly changed a facet of my life.

can't compare

i don't know, but i just can't compare the two... bono with ryan...
bono and ryan adams are two of my favorite artists. i love both of them for different reasons. they're just too different to be smashed together.... isn't ryan still considered alt. country? and if not, why not? it serves him grand...

People still refer to Ryan as "alt-country", but if you look solely at his last album, I don't think you'd ever label him such. "Alt-country" is such a broad category anyway though...hard to define. As to why he went this route with this album, he wanted to have fun, he wanted to rock out. I can try to find some quotes from the site I'm putting together. Let me check...

now that i'm back on ryan adams after my week or so on a u2 binge i realize how much i love ryan's music. wildflowers is one of the most beautiful songs... that and, oh wait, all of his music is AWESOME!
like a year and a half a go i went to see him live, and it is still my favorite concert i have ever been to... he was AMAZING!
anyway... i think i might have to go on a Ryan Adams binge for a while

"I don't really feel like that right now. I mean, if you put enough whiskey in anybody, they can make an alt-country record."

"Not to sound scary, but I think [Rock N Roll]'s a really fun record. There are some funny songs on there. There are really no instruments other than electric guitars and a few really cheesy synths, which are hilarious. There are some total Duran Duran moments. This record is made to be played really loud in the car and to not give a fuck when you're listening to it."

"I feel like an over-excited fan with a guitar. All my past records have been so narcissistic and self-involved, whereas [Rock N Roll] has a lot of humour...and some vindictiveness."

"[Rock N Roll]'s kind of an album about my record collection. It's not the next great statement, and it's so not a big deal. It has elements of the late Eighties in it - particularly Sonic Youth, which was very important for me, and a little bit of Gun Club. Terribly unprofound, I'd say. It has a lot of punchlines in it."

"Almost all of [creating Rock N Roll] was, 'What riff was the funnest to play on the bass? And how can I use my influences?' I've been accused of plagiarism in the past and wearing my influences too much on my sleeve. Well, that's the point. To be influenced is a creative thing to be. Look at people like the Stones. They were covering all those blues guys and really learning that repertoire before they made their own record. They got to where they really understood the music. And then look what happened."

"You get to the point where since what you do isn't working, you just charge out and try anything. I completely abandoned whatever routine I had before. Had no routine at all. I mainly write from sketches, and that's like writing down your dreams. You can write it down the best that you can, but you never get to the actual dream. Songs are that way - I don't aspire to be a completist or edit stuff too much. I like it in the raw, beautiful, messy state. My rule on all the stuff I wrote this year was 'No Laboring'. I wrote [Rock N Roll] in two weeks."

"If you're looking for the place where I'm all self-serious and thinking deeply, it's just not there [on Rock N Roll]. I felt that was something I'd done enough of already. And you can find some of that on Love Is Hell - which is pretty thick sometimes and not to be mixed with pharmaceuticals."

This is very amazing, I am only posting in here as I heard this song again on the radio today and I actually do quite like it, however I find it funny that I should come across this today, because I actually heard the song a month or so ago on a late night music clip show and I thought, 'wow, he is sounding like Bono" I dont know much about RA, in fact the only other song I know is the NY NY one. So anyway I thought about posting about how I thought that he sounded like Bono in his new song, however I talked myself out of the idea as I thought that Bonochick would lynch me.......

ha ha and now here she is starting the thread, anyway after hearing the song again just now, I do like it very much and he does sound like JT era Bono a bit in it, but that is not a bad thing:wink:

OzAurora said:

ha ha and now here she is starting the thread, anyway after hearing the song again just now, I do like it very much and he does sound like JT era Bono a bit in it, but that is not a bad thing:wink:

He's even admitted it himself.

OzAurora said:
So anyway I thought about posting about how I thought that he sounded like Bono in his new song, however I talked myself out of the idea as I thought that Bonochick would lynch me.......

:lmao:

Yeah, as BVS said, he's acknowledged him itself. I don't think it's a bad thing at all...that's just how his voice sounds, ya know? I think it's great...a great song, a great single for him.

Back
Top Bottom