New Radiohead song!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
u2popmofo said:
How to Disappear Completely live?!

I SHOULD have taken that ticket! :wink:

TWICE! But honestly, nothing beats listening to it at home alone under headphones. :wink:

So far, I've listened to several songs :( and the overall feeling is that none of them is truly oustanding, remarkable, timeless, shocking, uplifting, etc

Let's see:

1- Spooks: This is not a "song", just a minute-long instrumental heavily influenced by Just

2- All I Need: Slow song sung by a quite OUT OF KEY Thom !:ohmy:. The last part is the only good one. The rest, forgettable.

3- Videotape: One of the best new songs there. Good effort, intense and organic

4- Go Slowly: Another highlight. Radiohead getting close to Sigur Ros's ( )

5- Bodysnatchers: A filler mess, distorded guitars and crappy singing. This song goes nowhere.

6- 15 Step: I HATE IT :mad: What the hell were they thinking?. Thom's singing isn't actually a singing, rather is a fast talking trying to sing, but failed completely. Annoying listen

7- Bangers And Mash: As bad as bodysnatchers. Another song trying to "Rock" as they did back in The Bends times... but with a much worse songwriting!.

8- Down Is The New Up: Another song without variations, just one melodic idea repeated all the time. Quite simple and unmemorable song

9- Arpeggi: Possibly the best known song of the new set, and it's a good one, but nowhere near as 2+2=5

10- 4 Minute Waiting: Quite Fake Plastic Trees, easily one of the top of the set.

11- House Of Cards: It seems this mid-tempo song is waiting to grow into a coda or an epic part, but it doesn't happen. So so number

Overall it's clear they're trying to get back to The Bends days. There aren't weird numbers worthy of Kid A or Amnesiac. Sadly, there're aren't glory moments as Pyramid Song, 2+2=5, How To Dissappear Completely, Where I End And You Begin, Everything In Its Right Place, Scatterbrain, You And Whose Army?, etc

:(

remember these songs are in their raw form and will not be the final version of what is going to be on the album. Also, there quite a few more songs (forget the number exactly) that have not been played live and probably won't get played this tour. Since we don't know when and if the album is going to be released who knows how these songs will evolve.

U2Fanatic4ever said:
*steers thread back on course*

Sorry. :reject: I was just trying not to start yet another RH thread and the current tour is also about the new songs.

Anyway, I agree with both you and ponkine in that I am not wowed by any of the new songs but I do appreciate that they're still evolving and I think that by the time the record comes out we'll have very different songs than what we're hearing now. I had heard all the songs many times before I heard them live and hoped that they'd really come to life live but the only one that did was, as I said, Down is the New Up. I like the groove and I love when the the piano kicks in. ponkine says it's unmemorable and I said it's the only one that stayed with me, lol.

joyfulgirl said:

Sorry. :reject: I was just trying not to start yet another RH thread and the current tour is also about the new songs.

Anyway, I agree with both you and ponkine in that I am not wowed by any of the new songs but I do appreciate that they're still evolving and I think that by the time the record comes out we'll have very different songs than what we're hearing now. I had heard all the songs many times before I heard them live and hoped that they'd really come to life live but the only one that did was, as I said, Down is the New Up. I like the groove and I love when the the piano kicks in. ponkine says it's unmemorable and I said it's the only one that stayed with me, lol.

no worries..i am thinking we need just a general radiohead thread for discussions about everything..
<<< will go start new thread for this purpose..feel free to post away there:wink:

I wasn't wowed by the new stuff either, so I feel relieved to hear you old-timers say that.

Although I did like the surf-style instrumental they did Tuesday night.

(and I'm going to leave to go see them again in an hour or two. :D )

Last edited:
martha said:
I wasn't wowed by the new stuff either, so I feel relieved to hear you old-timers say that.

Although I did like the surf-style instrumental they did Tuesday night.

(and I'm going to leave to go see them again in an hour or two. :D )

that surf-style instrumental is called Spooks.. it kinda grows on ya huh...:wink:

U2Fanatic4ever said:
remember these songs are in their raw form and will not be the final version of what is going to be on the album. Also, there quite a few more songs (forget the number exactly) that have not been played live and probably won't get played this tour. Since we don't know when and if the album is going to be released who knows how these songs will evolve.

I really hope your words will come true mate :( because, to be honest and being a die hard Radiohead fan, if they set to release these songs soon this year it could be easily the worst Radiohead album since Pablo Honey :sad:

i think this is some of the best material i've heard in a long time by anyone, and it's a lot better than most of the httt stuff.

ponkine said:
So far, I've listened to several songs :( and the overall feeling is that none of them is truly oustanding, remarkable, timeless, shocking, uplifting, etc

Let's see:

1- Spooks: This is not a "song", just a minute-long instrumental heavily influenced by Just

2- All I Need: Slow song sung by a quite OUT OF KEY Thom !:ohmy:. The last part is the only good one. The rest, forgettable.

3- Videotape: One of the best new songs there. Good effort, intense and organic

4- Go Slowly: Another highlight. Radiohead getting close to Sigur Ros's ( )

5- Bodysnatchers: A filler mess, distorded guitars and crappy singing. This song goes nowhere.

6- 15 Step: I HATE IT :mad: What the hell were they thinking?. Thom's singing isn't actually a singing, rather is a fast talking trying to sing, but failed completely. Annoying listen

7- Bangers And Mash: As bad as bodysnatchers. Another song trying to "Rock" as they did back in The Bends times... but with a much worse songwriting!.

8- Down Is The New Up: Another song without variations, just one melodic idea repeated all the time. Quite simple and unmemorable song

9- Arpeggi: Possibly the best known song of the new set, and it's a good one, but nowhere near as 2+2=5

10- 4 Minute Waiting: Quite Fake Plastic Trees, easily one of the top of the set.

11- House Of Cards: It seems this mid-tempo song is waiting to grow into a coda or an epic part, but it doesn't happen. So so number

Overall it's clear they're trying to get back to The Bends days. There aren't weird numbers worthy of Kid A or Amnesiac. Sadly, there're aren't glory moments as Pyramid Song, 2+2=5, How To Dissappear Completely, Where I End And You Begin, Everything In Its Right Place, Scatterbrain, You And Whose Army?, etc

:(

4 minuter warning is crap....15 Step is excellent and should be their first single
Down is the new up goes nowhere..should improve once its played more

"Arpeggi" "videotape" "bodysnatchers" "all i need" are ace.

Thom alse said that all the new songs will change once they are recorded...what you are hearing is the songs in the rawest form

Last edited:
ponkine said:

I really hope your words will come true mate :( because, to be honest and being a die hard Radiohead fan, if they set to release these songs soon this year it could be easily the worst Radiohead album since Pablo Honey :sad:

oh from what I hear the album will most certainly NOT be released this year. Sometime next year is most likely the case..

oh..btw.. I started a general discussion thread.. feel free to post in there..:wink:

xaviMF22 said:

Thom alse said that all the new songs will change once they are recorded...what you are hearing is the songs in the rawest form

I agree with this. I'm dying to hear the songs in their final form, but I must admit it takes balls to showcase raw experiments in a live setting now. It also makes sense, if you consider how this tour is a really a warm-up for a full-on album launch next year. It's a good thing to have songs that can actually be performed well live.

I don't know if it's been shared here yet, but the Greek Theatre show on June 23 is the best I've heard thus far from the tour, in terms of sound quality...I can post some links if anyone wants them.

DesertPlain1 said:

I think it 7ux.

i think you're full of it, and if you're gonna copy me at least do it properly.

but then again, you're not half as brilliant as i am, so i wouldn't expect you to catch on.

ponkine said:
Listen to the all new songs performed for yourselves :reject:

http://www.lders.nl/

Thanks for the link. I can't wait for this album. What I've heard so far excites me very much. I don't care if it isn't filled with all sorts of boops and beeps. I think The Eraser will keep me happy enough in that department.

By the way, DesertPlain1, you jux too.

FitzChivalry said:
8 1/2 hours!!! 8 1/2 hours until I see my 2nd favorite boys!!! I can't waaaiiiiiiiiit!!!!!!! I haven't seen them since '98. I waited 8 years for my 3rd Radiohead concert. Come on 9:00 p.m.!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wooo-Hooo! Go Radiohead!

Braggart! :angry:

Have fun, lucky sucker.

you're welcome :yes:

I can add a link to the leaked Thom Yorke - The Eraser album ... but I'm not sure what would you think about that :angel:

FitzChivalry said:
8 1/2 hours!!! 8 1/2 hours until I see my 2nd favorite boys!!! I can't waaaiiiiiiiiit!!!!!!! I haven't seen them since '98. I waited 8 years for my 3rd Radiohead concert. Come on 9:00 p.m.!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wooo-Hooo! Go Radiohead!

hey have a great time fitz! Don't forget to tell us all about the show when you get back! Lucky!:wink:

The show tonight at the Greek in Los Angeles was just amazing. Best show I've seen this year.

my lone good photo from the Chicago2 show:

3474%3A393%3A%7Ffp342%3Enu%3D3237%3E3%3C5%3E76%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D32338952%3A9697nu0mrj

I really could not tell you what song was playing when I took the photo.

zoney! said:
my lone good photo from the Chicago2 show:

3474%3A393%3A%7Ffp342%3Enu%3D3237%3E3%3C5%3E76%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D32338952%3A9697nu0mrj

I really could not tell you what song was playing when I took the photo.

I say No surprises...Ed on rickenbacker, jonny on glockenspiel:wink:

Back
Top Bottom