New R.E.M. single - John Lennon's #9 Dream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Westport

Refugee
Listen and support a great cause by purchasing R.E.M.'s new single of John Lennon's #9 Dream (featuring Bill Berry on drums for the first time in ten years)
for Instant Karma - The Campaign to Save Darfur

http://murmurs.com/node/1742?

:up:

Why doesn't Bill Berry just rejoin the band? Even if it's just in the studio. He doesn't have to go on tour.

That way, he can record in the mornings and ride his tractor in the afternoons.

Lila64 said:
I need to get some more R.E.M.
I only have one 'best of', which is obviously missing some hits

:reject:

Which Best Of? Is it 'In Time'(the 1988-2003 compilation) or is it 'And I Feel Fine'(the 1982-1987 IRS Years compilation)? In short, if it's the earlier, you have most of the hits but some big ones from the earlier years(One I Love, It's The End Of The World As We Know It[And I Feel Fine], etc) are missing. If what you have is the latter compilation, then you have a few hits but you're missing most of the big ones.

If you go for an actual REM record...most will say that Automatic For The People is their best record, but personally, I think Out Of Time - which is also generally regarded as one of REM's defining records - is superior to Automatic.

Lila64 said:

:shocked: Yes, you do need more R.E.M. :tsk: You can't go wrong with either Automatic for the People or Out of Time. I do prefer Automatic for a full album listen...it's also much "darker" than Out of Time. Either way, you definitely need to pick some more up. Or, I could send some to you :shifty:

I bought the single yesterday after hearing it. I like it a lot. Stipe sounds great, as usual.

namkcuR said:
If you go for an actual REM record...most will say that Automatic For The People is their best record, but personally, I think Out Of Time - which is also generally regarded as one of REM's defining records - is superior to Automatic.

Out Of Time is the one that really put R.E.M. into the mainstream, but you're right - most people will say that Automatic is one of their best, including me. As a whole, it blows Out Of Time out of the water. Not saying it isn't good and doesn't have excellent songs, it does. But Automatic is stronger all the way through.

As for others, Document is essential, and my personal favorite is their debut, Murmur. Hell, all of their older albums are classics.

Lila64 said:

Well, "And I Feel Fine" is obviously more complete, "In Time" is very good too, it only lacks some more 3 or 4 songs, but it's not something to be worried of.

I'd make a 3rd disc with REM songs that both best of's failed: "Drive" (live version is great), "Shinny Happy People", "Lotus", "Crush with eyeliner", "Pop song 89", "How the west has won and where it got us", "Tongue", "Find the river", etc...

I'm kind of underwhelmed by this cover, and that's disappointing. I'll withhold full judgement until I hear the version on the album - maybe it's losing something coming through my crummy computer speakers.

I like this Lennon song a lot ... at least until the "ah mama cow say, cow say cow say" parts.

Aygo said:

Well, "And I Feel Fine" is obviously more complete, "In Time" is very good too, it only lacks some more 3 or 4 songs, but it's not something to be worried of.

I'd make a 3rd disc with REM songs that both best of's failed: "Drive" (live version is great), "Shinny Happy People", "Lotus", "Crush with eyeliner", "Pop song 89", "How the west has won and where it got us", "Tongue", "Find the river", etc...
here's my part 2 of best of 88-04

1. Shiny Happy People [Time]
2. Get Up [Green]
3. Pop Song 89' [Green]
4. Star 69 [Monster]
5. Wake-Up Bomb [New Adventures]
6. Crush With Eyeliner [Monster]
7. Turn You Inside-Out [Green]
8. Leaving New York [Sun]
9. Drive [Automatic]
10. New Test Leper [New Adventures]
11. Strange Currencies [Monster]
12. I've Been High [Reveal]
13. Sweetness Follows [Automatic]
14. Half A World Away [Time]
15. Wanderlust [Sun]
16. Tongue [Monster]
17. Walk Unafraid [Up]
18. Country Feedback [Time]
19. Let Me In [Monster]
20. Find The River [Automatic]

theoriginal said:
Listening to the single now... I love Stipe's voice on the song. It's not one of my favorites by Lennon though.

I love Stipe's voice as well but there is something about Lennon's voice that was just so pure that it's hard to compare. George Martin said at one time that John Lennon had the most beautiful voice of anyone he had ever heard, ever. I don't know if I disagree with that.

corianderstem said:
I'm kind of underwhelmed by this cover, and that's disappointing. I'll withhold full judgement until I hear the version on the album - maybe it's losing something coming through my crummy computer speakers.

I like this Lennon song a lot ... at least until the "ah mama cow say, cow say cow say" parts.

thats the most awesome thing in the entire song :love:

the only truly great cover ever recorded of any beatles song i can think of, is joe cocker's "with a little help from my friends". so this didnt really surprise me. it could have sucked more.

Oh man, that Joe Cocker version ... :drool:

I tell you, those backup singers really make that song, too. LOVE. IT.

I'd love "Leave" more if it didn't have so much of that "WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP" siren sound.

But other than that annoyance, it's great.

U2Man said:

the only truly great cover ever recorded of any beatles song i can think of, is joe cocker's "with a little help from my friends". so this didnt really surprise me. it could have sucked more.

Agree but William Shatner's version of Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds is pure brilliance.

onebloodonelife said:

:shocked: Yes, you do need more R.E.M. :tsk: You can't go wrong with either Automatic for the People or Out of Time. I do prefer Automatic for a full album listen...it's also much "darker" than Out of Time. Either way, you definitely need to pick some more up. Or, I could send some to you :shifty:

I bought the single yesterday after hearing it. I like it a lot. Stipe sounds great, as usual.

:reject: I actually have 'Eponymous' (Best of) which is apparently earlier material. I need the later material 'best of' with Losing My Religion, Everybody Hurts, Orange Crush, Pop Song '89... At least those are the songs I determined last night I needed and didn't have. There may be more songs (I could live without 'Stand', but might need Shiny Happy People, at least on occasion).

But yeah, if anyone is volunteering to share some music... :shifty:
:whistle:

I think I am in the minority that thinks Up is one of their best albums. A very reaction to the departure of Bill Berry. The band didnt go on like nothing happened. Its totally different to anything they'd released beforehand.

Nisse said:

here's my part 2 of best of 88-04

1. Shiny Happy People [Time]
2. Get Up [Green]
3. Pop Song 89' [Green]
4. Star 69 [Monster]
5. Wake-Up Bomb [New Adventures]
6. Crush With Eyeliner [Monster]
7. Turn You Inside-Out [Green]
8. Leaving New York [Sun]
9. Drive [Automatic]
10. New Test Leper [New Adventures]
11. Strange Currencies [Monster]
12. I've Been High [Reveal]
13. Sweetness Follows [Automatic]
14. Half A World Away [Time]
15. Wanderlust [Sun]
16. Tongue [Monster]
17. Walk Unafraid [Up]
18. Country Feedback [Time]
19. Let Me In [Monster]
20. Find The River [Automatic]

I'd prefer to do something like:

1988-2006

Disc one

1. Animal
2. What's the frequency, Kenneth?
3. Electron blue
4. The sidewinder sleeps tonite
5. Shinny happy people
6. Tongue
7. Crush with eyeliner
8. All the way to Reno
9. Wanderlust
10. Orange crush
11. Star 69
12. Losing my religion
13. Bad day
14. Stand
15. All the right friends
16. How the west has won and where it got us
17. Find the river
18. Drive

Disc two

1. Leaving New York
2. Pop song 89
3. Get up
4. The great beyond
5. Bittersweet me
6. Bang and blame
7. Near wild heaven
8. Radio song
9. Electrolite
10. Lotus
11. Daysleeper
12. Imitation of life
13. Everybody hurts
14. E-bow the letter
15. Strange currencies
16. Man on the moon
17. At my most beautiful
18. Nightswimming

corianderstem said:
I'd love "Leave" more if it didn't have so much of that "WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP" siren sound.

But other than that annoyance, it's great.

You should take a listen to the alternate version of Leave found on the In Time Best Of Bonus Disc.

Its everything brilliant that Leave is, without the siren.

U2inUtah said:

You should take a listen to the alternate version of Leave found on the In Time Best Of Bonus Disc.

Its everything brilliant that Leave is, without the siren.

Huh, I'd completely forgotten about that version. Guess it's time to dig out that disc of B-sides.

I like it but I'm gonna wait till the full album comes out and buy it

And as for R.E.M. albums all I've got is Automatic for the People and (which I got today) Best of the IRS years with the bonus disc

Lila64 said:

:reject: I actually have 'Eponymous' (Best of) which is apparently earlier material. I need the later material 'best of' with Losing My Religion, Everybody Hurts, Orange Crush, Pop Song '89... At least those are the songs I determined last night I needed and didn't have. There may be more songs (I could live without 'Stand', but might need Shiny Happy People, at least on occasion).

But yeah, if anyone is volunteering to share some music... :shifty:
:whistle:

:hmm: Let me know all the songs you want for sure, and I'll help you out :shifty:

Speaking of Shiny Happy People, check this out :lmao:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkHM8xG6i8o

Back
Top Bottom