New Pearl Jam in May? - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2006, 06:43 PM   #121
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:17 PM
Concerning the last two albums, Binaural was amazing. Riot Act isn't horrible, but very little of it leaves an impression after a few listens (really only "I Am Mine", "Green Disease" and "Arc" keep me interested).

As for Lost Dogs, yes, it was just a collection of b-sides, but a lot of great material didn't end up on it in favor of some never before heard stuff that was mostly rubbish. Definitely didn't have half the tracks I would've put on such a release (although "Undone" is a glorious 'new' track). The greatest hits comp was lame in that it didn't have enough selections from Yield and Binaural......

New song is still horrid, btw.

Old 03-10-2006, 07:23 PM   #122
Refugee

Local Time: 03:17 PM
I'm not so sure about the new song either...he sounds like he's drinking water and singing at the same time!

Old 03-11-2006, 01:14 PM   #123
Blue Crack Addict

Got my Boston 10 club tix today, very nice.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:27 PM   #124
Blue Crack Distributor

at the hewson headache center i assume
Old 03-12-2006, 02:23 AM   #125
War Child

Location: under a blood red sky, past one tree hill, where the streets have no name...
Local Time: 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by angel_of_L.A.
I'm not so sure about the new song either...he sounds like he's drinking water and singing at the same time!

Yes, but that's the Eddie Vedder style.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:51 AM   #126
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:17 PM
I love the new song

Anyway, Binaural and Riot Act are their two weakest efforts IMO but they're still awesome. Light Years , Grievance, Thin Air, Insignificance, Love Boat Captain , Can't Keep, Thumbing My Way , Save You

But nothing compares to Yield or No Code
Old 03-13-2006, 08:47 AM   #127
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
at the hewson headache center i assume
Yes.

And based on whats been happening, I still advise you to attempt to buy Jersey today. (if you do and see a "Sold out" icon, just keep checking, the server has issues, but the "Buy" option will pop up eventually.)
The fan club seats seem to definitely be limited (exception seems to be Toronto) there is much speculation that they are now limited by Ticketmaster/Clear Channel to about 10% of capacity, so even a high member number could get you pretty good seats, say like 108, 109 or so. Who knows?
Old 03-13-2006, 10:01 AM   #128
Blue Crack Addict

I finally took the time to hear World Wide Suicide, and I like it. It sounds like it could've been from Vitalogy. Great riff.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:40 AM   #129
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Ashley

Yes, but that's the Eddie Vedder style.
No, he normally sounds like sheep, i.e. "the shaaades go dooown." This sounds like he was literally drinking water!

Ahhh...Vitalogy, No Code and Yield, what brilliant albums, three in a row. My heart aches a little when I listen to these three albums because damnit, this band can be so %&&^ good and I just don't understand why we're no longer connecting.

I listened to "WWS" a little more over the weekend and it's still not doing anything for me but it is slightly better than what I expected to hear initially.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:58 PM   #130
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
I finally took the time to hear World Wide Suicide, and I like it. It sounds like it could've been from Vitalogy. Great riff.
I heard it last night for the first time and agree the little riff sounds like it's pulled directly from the Vitalogy era.

Early on, the problem I'm having with the song is that it doesn't sound like it has any mustard driving it. Where's the passion?

Vitalogy is full of energy that's needed to turn riffs into Rock. WWS lacks badly in this area. Going back to a Vitalogy era sound without the requisite abandon driving the songs is a very bad idea.

Wild energy and abandon have always been two of PJ's biggest strengths. I'm afraid PJ doesn't have the creative chops to keep things interesting if those things aren't there, like some bands can. For example, the sound of WWS is pure Rock vanilla without the mustard to give it a wacky and uncomfortabe taste.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:18 PM   #131
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Layton

WWS is pure Rock vanilla without the mustard to give it a wacky and uncomfortabe taste.

Mighty descriptive...suddenly, I'm hungry

I like this song much more than I did a few days ago. Still, I hope the rest of the album is a little more screwy. Even if WWS is a bit of crafted single, I'm really appreciating the lyrics--the political bent. I don't think anyone can deny the fact that PJ have more to say about the world these days, rather than just themselves.

But, yes, more mustard. Mustard + meaning =
Old 03-13-2006, 06:37 PM   #132
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Layton

I heard it last night for the first time and agree the little riff sounds like it's pulled directly from the Vitalogy era.

Early on, the problem I'm having with the song is that it doesn't sound like it has any mustard driving it. Where's the passion?

Vitalogy is full of energy that's needed to turn riffs into Rock. WWS lacks badly in this area. Going back to a Vitalogy era sound without the requisite abandon driving the songs is a very bad idea.

Wild energy and abandon have always been two of PJ's biggest strengths. I'm afraid PJ doesn't have the creative chops to keep things interesting if those things aren't there, like some bands can. For example, the sound of WWS is pure Rock vanilla without the mustard to give it a wacky and uncomfortabe taste.

Maybe that's why they're not connecting with me--WWS doesn't have any mustard so it feels artificial. They're giving me artificial vanilla rock and no mustard.

Old 03-13-2006, 06:53 PM   #133
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by angel_of_L.A.

They're giving me artificial vanilla rock and no mustard.
Last time I had that I couldn't leave the house for two days and lost 10 lbs., if you know what I mean.

So, by all means make sure the mustard is always in the vanilla my Jam ass friends.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:39 PM   #134
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:17 PM
World Wide Suicide single is out on iTunes.
The really good news is that it includes another album track - Unemployable.
It sounds really great. Totally different than anything PJ has done in the past. Sounds more like The Police or Bruce Springsteen.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:25 PM   #135
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by djerdap
World Wide Suicide single is out on iTunes.
The really good news is that it includes another album track - Unemployable.
It sounds really great. Totally different than anything PJ has done in the past. Sounds more like The Police or Bruce Springsteen.
Anyone have a link? I'll be buying the album in may (just in case Eddie reads this).