new paul mccartney album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IWasBored

Blue Crack Supplier
anyone get it?

i was skeptical because of how much i thought driving rain sucked, but the song i heard off it sounded like an outtake from flaming pie (which i like, or at least i did when i was 14). what "always" is to "beautiful day", this song was to "flaming pie" (the song, not the whole album), or that was what i gathered from hearing it once.

i'm curious.

Well, it's called Chaos and Creation In the Backyard, and Paul plays every instrument on it himself (which I don't think he's done since McCartney II). Nigel Godrich produced it, if anyone cares about that (do we only suck Radiohead's dicks around here or their producer's too?). It still sounds pretty slick despite the down-home approach to recording it.

The lead single is "Fine Line," which is probably the song you heard. It's pretty good. There are a few other high points on the record too, although, like any McCartney album, it drags in places (13 tracks plus a "hidden" instrumental). Overall, it's worth a listen. Of course, I liked Driving Rain, so maybe you should wait for someone else's opinion.

typhoon said:
do we only suck Radiohead's dicks around here or their producer's too?

:tsk:

Nobody's sucking dicks here! I admit that there are way too many Radiohead threads here compared to that of other bands. But I still wouldn't call them that overrated because they're actually good! :drool:

Speaking of McCartney, the last song I remember of his goes like this... he's just a young boy looking for a way to find love. And before that as far as I can remember, it was Hope Of Deliverance. Love that song! Is the new album any good? The man just keeps on going! :lol:

I heard about half the album, and I quite liked two or three of the songs. Fine Line and Jenny Wren ... and another one, although I can't recall the title. Not sure if I'll buy it or not.

i bought it. yeah, "fine line" was what i heard. i like it. i got through about half of the album, and it's the only song i like.

i'm considering giving flaming pie a listen now, maybe my taste has just changed. when i was 13, paul mccartney was my idol. in the last 8 years, my music taste has...changed would be an understatement. all i know is that i do still like band on the run.

maybe it will grow on me (and maybe i'll like the second half of the album better), i do like it better than i liked driving rain. it just seems boring. i don't mean non-agressive boring, or simplistic pop song boring. forgettable boring.

bought it (i believe i said that in my last post). don't like it.

typhoon said:
Well, it's called Chaos and Creation In the Backyard, and Paul plays every instrument on it himself (which I don't think he's done since McCartney II). Nigel Godrich produced it, if anyone cares about that (do we only suck Radiohead's dicks around here or their producer's too?). It still sounds pretty slick despite the down-home approach to recording it.

The lead single is "Fine Line," which is probably the song you heard. It's pretty good. There are a few other high points on the record too, although, like any McCartney album, it drags in places (13 tracks plus a "hidden" instrumental). Overall, it's worth a listen. Of course, I liked Driving Rain, so maybe you should wait for someone else's opinion.

Translated: "The album sucks." :laugh:

If I thought it sucks, I would've said, "It sucks."

Example: "A Man and a Woman" sucks.

typhoon said:

Example: "A Man and a Woman" sucks.

while i don't agree with your comments on the new mccartney album, i agree with that.

unless it was hypothetical, then nevermind.

I'm sure it hypothetically sucks too. It sucks every other way, why not?

I bought it, and like it.

Favs include:

Fine Line
How Kind Of You
Jenny Wren
English Tea
Too Much Rain

Yes a fair portion of it is classic McCartney Filler™ but in the good songs, there is a tinge of melancholy that keeps me listening. Just hearing Jenny Wren you wonder where the nice happy bit is going to be at the end of a verse but the chords all stay minor.

Thanks for pushing yourself just a little bit, Sir Paul :)

Canadiens1160 said:
I bought it, and like it.

Favs include:

Fine Line
How Kind Of You
Jenny Wren
English Tea
Too Much Rain

Yes a fair portion of it is classic McCartney Filler™ but in the good songs, there is a tinge of melancholy that keeps me listening. Just hearing Jenny Wren you wonder where the nice happy bit is going to be at the end of a verse but the chords all stay minor.

Thanks for pushing yourself just a little bit, Sir Paul :)

:up:

I totally agree with this. This album has really grown on me in the last couple of months and the songs you mentioned here are some of his finest in many, many years.

Jenny Wren, English Tea and How Kind of You :love:

....and sorry, Zoot., for bumping an "old" thread again, but it's better than starting a new one :wink:

U2Man said:

....and sorry, Zoot., for bumping an "old" thread again, but it's better than starting a new one :wink:

Oh, I don't think there's anything wrong in bumping threads that are just a few months old! especially ones talking about fairly new albums! Hey, I recently bumped both the Depeche Mode Playing the Angel thread and the Tori Amos Beekeeper thread just cos I had just got those albums and wanted to talk about them! :up:

But bumping random threads that are 3 or 5 years old is a different matter!

I haven't really listened to Paul Mc Cartney in forever! :reject:

U2Man said:

:up:

I totally agree with this. This album has really grown on me in the last couple of months and the songs you mentioned here are some of his finest in many, many years.

Jenny Wren, English Tea and How Kind of You :love:

Cheers on the months-later post :D
I just put it on for the first time in a month and it's wonderful. Almost the perfect example of a grower album.

Current favs are
Riding to Vanity Fair
At the Mercy
Jenny Wren

It's always a perfect choice for a listen on a rainy day. I find myself reaching for it a lot mroe often than the happy, peppy stuff.

Back
Top Bottom