New Order

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
I was looking up Interpol on allmusic and that led me to Joy Division and subsequently to New Order. These guys are not discussed here enough. I only have Bizarre Love Triangle, True Faith and Regret on my itunes but I'm very tempted to get either Substance or their Best Of. Substance looks more complete and even has some JD tracks which I'm severely lacking on. Can't believe I don't have any CDs of these guys cos I'm usually all over danceable rock like DM, Killers (HF), 90s U2 etc. :drool:

Fans feel free to celebrate New Order here. :dancing:

Seek out the album New Order - Singles. I think it is an import. It has the best collection of their more popular songs from early on until present. Good stuff! Too bad they recently announced they would not be making anymore music together, but it was a great run.

New Order :drool:

Edit: Singles is only $8.97 on Amazon. Great deal!!! Although it seems it ships in 1 to 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Dude, you NEED Subtstance. Probably one of the best singles collections ever.

Also, Power, Corruption, and Lies is pretty essential, if only for the brilliant "Age of Consent." :drool:

Their last album was pretty good, too. A little cheesier than some of their other work, but SO very catchy and definitely worth a purchase.

Great band. Probably better than Joy Division when everything's said and done.

Get "Get Ready." That's a great album. Billy Corgan appears on one song and the video for "Crystal" is what gave the Killers their name -- that's the name of the fake band that played in the video . . .

XHendrix24 said:
Dude, you NEED Subtstance. Probably one of the best singles collections ever.

I adore both New Order & Joy Division. :bow: :bow:

Substance is a great 'Best of' especially as their singles weren't on (those days) their albums.

Funny, I just listened to Best of last night for the first time in ages.

I forgot how many good songs New Order has.

I just discovered Crystal last year, and it is probably my favorite of the newer New Order songs.

Also the Killers connection is kind of cool. I think there's a video on Youtube of Brandon Flowers singing Crystal live with New Order a couple years ago.

"Singles" is indeed more complete than even Substance, it seems! And it's only $8.97! Holy crap!!! :ohmy:

This is what allmusicguide thinks about Singles...

Now that Waiting for the Sirens' Call has been officially declared part of New Order's history, only eight months after release, it's time once again to reassess the group in the form of a mostly redundant compilation. Rhino calls Singles the group's "first ever career-spanning two-disc retrospective," but it's more like the group's first compilation to contain tracks from Sirens' Call. Besides, 1987's Substance spanned the group's career upon release and remains the basis for most New Order compilations (this one included), so it's no big deal. Just as importantly, over a third of the contents date from 1993 onward; that's too high a percentage to make the set an ideal introduction. Considering its title, Singles has a clear-cut purpose, unlike 2002's International. Then again, each of the 14 tracks contained on International are also here -- what amounts to an inferior version of Substance with some crucial tracks squeezed out in favor of lesser, later singles. A proper sequel to Substance, covering Technique through Sirens' Call, would've made more sense, but the lure in dressing up a combination of oft-recycled classics with slightly varying surroundings has yet to lose its appeal. Substance remains, and will likely always remain, the release to get you started.

They seem to prefer Substance overall. :hmm:

Last edited:
new order is a brilliant band :drool:

i'm not too big on get ready, though. all the other albums are awesome though. waiting for the sirens' call is way too underrated. it's not my favourite album, but it is a great album.

The only New Order album I like is Movement, and even then you can tell just one Joy Division song is equal to an entire New Order album - if not their entire discography!

I think Get Ready is very underrated as well. It's worth it just for the extended version of Crystal. The whole album is great...with the exception of Rock The Shack which is a bit grating.

Axver said:
The only New Order album I like is Movement, and even then you can tell just one Joy Division song is equal to an entire New Order album - if not their entire discography!

Have you given songs like True Faith and Regret a chance? They're joy in the form of music.

New Order - Good albums band. Awesome singles band. They were bloody awful live though !

also try 'electronic', bernard sumner's side project with johnny marr. twisted tenderness is a pretty decent album, and prodigal son is a fantastic single.

Zootlesque said:

Have you given songs like True Faith and Regret a chance? They're joy in the form of music.

I can't remember. I haven't touched anything New Order that isn't Movement for about two years. Everything post-Movement blurs into a mess of "boring" and/or "not my style" for me.

hawkman said:
New Order - Good albums band. Awesome singles band. They were bloody awful live though !

I have to concur. I saw them live in about 1986 and I was down the front and I glared at Hooky all night and he glared at me. :mad: They didn't say a word to the audience or each other. Then of course after Madchester, they got all happy and cheery.
Typical. :madspit:

Everything's gone Green
Temptation
Run
True Faith
Age of Consent
:drool:

New Order haven't broken up btw....Hooky has left by Bernard and co will continue on...will seem a bit flat without Hooky though...saw them two years ago and they were really awesome.

I'd like to throw a recommendation of Brotherhood in here; in addition to having the original version of Bizarre Love Triangle (the remix is better but not very different), side one has some of NO's best guitar-based songs. The most underrated in their catalogue.

Substance is a better buy than the other best ofs simply because of the separate disc of b-sides. Some of those songs are as good as anything on their proper albums.

They don't really have a weak album. Low-Life and Technique are also loaded with great songs. And if the last two didn't break any new ground, it proved that they can still write a great song, and sonically they really picked right up where they left off.

I don't think it's a stretch to nominate them for Best Band of the 80's. They put out 6 albums including Substance and were far, far ahead of their time. Their ability to combine (or alternate between) rock and electronic is unparalleled in the decade.

BTW, Ian Curtis hanging himself is the best thing that ever happened to British music. Joy Division was great for what they started, but I couldn't imagine more albums of that stuff. Joy Division+great, ecletctic songwriting=New Order

I love Love Vigalantes

I just have the Best Of.

How much am I missing? Oh, I do have Temptation also.

This thread gave me chills.

I was SO into New Order as a teen. Still love them.

I had the pleasure of seeing them in concert about 18 years ago before they spit, or broke up or whoever left..

Sicy said:
This thread gave me chills.

I was SO into New Order as a teen. Still love them.

I had the pleasure of seeing them in concert about 18 years ago before they spit, or broke up or whoever left..

Was that for Technique, Sicy? That must have been awesome. I didn't get to catch them until Republic in '93. Funny thing is that I heard stories about how bad and apathetic they were live, at least in the U.S., but they were totally on when I saw them, lots of energy. Of course they only played like 9 cities across the country that tour, so maybe there's a connection.

They played Coachella a couple years ago but I wasn't interested in suffering for a whole weekend to see them.

There's a DVD out from the Get Ready tour which is much better than you'd expect. Band seems to be having fun, and they also break out a handful of Joy Division songs. The release is titled "511", and here's the setlist for that show:

Crystal
Transmission
Regret
Ceremony
60 miles an hour
Atmosphere
Brutal
Close range
She's lost control
Bizarre love triangle
Temptation
Love will tear us apart
Digital
Blue Monday
Your silent face

Well worth the purchase.

I have a handful of there bootlegs from recent gigs, and old 80s gigs and they seem pretty good to me. at times hooky tends to just improvise but they were good live, but bernard has alot of off nights vocally...
oh and mr disco hands down my fav new order song, so under rated.

lazarus said:

BTW, Ian Curtis hanging himself is the best thing that ever happened to British music. Joy Division was great for what they started, but I couldn't imagine more albums of that stuff.

You are so, sooooooo wrong. :shame:

Joy Division at the end of their career was clearly turning towards a more classic sort of 'Pop' music; hence songs like Love Will Tear Us Apart & Ceremony.

To say 'more albums of that stuff' displays an enormous ignorance of Joy Divisions discography on your part IMO.

I owned JD's Substance when I was in high school so I'm aware of the progression over the course of their career.

Unfortunately, Love Will Tear Us Apart pales in comparison to every pop song New Order's written. I don't know what Ian Curtis would have done with his career had he survived, but I find it hard to believe he could have made better music than the fantastic and eclectic stuff New Order delivered over the last 25 years.

Back
Top Bottom