New Order - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2007, 01:03 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:32 PM
also try 'electronic', bernard sumner's side project with johnny marr. twisted tenderness is a pretty decent album, and prodigal son is a fantastic single.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:50 PM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 01:32 PM
"Temptation" is like the best song ever.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:19 PM   #18
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 05:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque

Have you given songs like True Faith and Regret a chance? They're joy in the form of music.
I can't remember. I haven't touched anything New Order that isn't Movement for about two years. Everything post-Movement blurs into a mess of "boring" and/or "not my style" for me.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-23-2007, 04:22 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by hawkman
New Order - Good albums band. Awesome singles band. They were bloody awful live though !
I have to concur. I saw them live in about 1986 and I was down the front and I glared at Hooky all night and he glared at me. They didn't say a word to the audience or each other. Then of course after Madchester, they got all happy and cheery.
Typical.

Everything's gone Green
Temptation
Run
True Faith
Age of Consent
Old 07-23-2007, 05:24 AM   #20
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:32 PM
New Order haven't broken up btw....Hooky has left by Bernard and co will continue on...will seem a bit flat without Hooky though...saw them two years ago and they were really awesome.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:34 AM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:32 AM
I'd like to throw a recommendation of Brotherhood in here; in addition to having the original version of Bizarre Love Triangle (the remix is better but not very different), side one has some of NO's best guitar-based songs. The most underrated in their catalogue.

Substance is a better buy than the other best ofs simply because of the separate disc of b-sides. Some of those songs are as good as anything on their proper albums.

They don't really have a weak album. Low-Life and Technique are also loaded with great songs. And if the last two didn't break any new ground, it proved that they can still write a great song, and sonically they really picked right up where they left off.

I don't think it's a stretch to nominate them for Best Band of the 80's. They put out 6 albums including Substance and were far, far ahead of their time. Their ability to combine (or alternate between) rock and electronic is unparalleled in the decade.

BTW, Ian Curtis hanging himself is the best thing that ever happened to British music. Joy Division was great for what they started, but I couldn't imagine more albums of that stuff. Joy Division+great, ecletctic songwriting=New Order
Old 07-24-2007, 05:58 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Location: deep in absolutely bullshit historical theory/trauma theory
Local Time: 04:32 AM
New Order are fantastic.

A man dying was the best thing that ever happened to British music? Wow. You're morbid, aren't you?

Joy Division are my favourite band ever though, so I'm undoubtedly biased. New Order were good but JD were so much better.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:50 PM   #23
The Fly

Local Time: 06:32 PM
I love Love Vigalantes

I just have the Best Of.

How much am I missing? Oh, I do have Temptation also.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:45 PM   #24
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

This thread gave me chills.

I was SO into New Order as a teen. Still love them.

I had the pleasure of seeing them in concert about 18 years ago before they spit, or broke up or whoever left..
Old 07-24-2007, 07:10 PM   #25
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by XHendrix24
"Temptation" is like the best song ever.
yes
Old 07-24-2007, 07:12 PM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy
This thread gave me chills.

I was SO into New Order as a teen. Still love them.

I had the pleasure of seeing them in concert about 18 years ago before they spit, or broke up or whoever left..
Was that for Technique, Sicy? That must have been awesome. I didn't get to catch them until Republic in '93. Funny thing is that I heard stories about how bad and apathetic they were live, at least in the U.S., but they were totally on when I saw them, lots of energy. Of course they only played like 9 cities across the country that tour, so maybe there's a connection.

They played Coachella a couple years ago but I wasn't interested in suffering for a whole weekend to see them.

There's a DVD out from the Get Ready tour which is much better than you'd expect. Band seems to be having fun, and they also break out a handful of Joy Division songs. The release is titled "511", and here's the setlist for that show:

Crystal
Transmission
Regret
Ceremony
60 miles an hour
Atmosphere
Brutal
Close range
She's lost control
Bizarre love triangle
Temptation
Love will tear us apart
Digital
Blue Monday
Your silent face

Well worth the purchase.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:47 PM   #27
Refugee

Local Time: 11:32 AM
I saw them in 86 for the Brotherhood tour. I don't remember them being awful. And I'm usually very critical of live performances.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:47 PM   #28
The Fly

Local Time: 01:32 PM
I have a handful of there bootlegs from recent gigs, and old 80s gigs and they seem pretty good to me. at times hooky tends to just improvise but they were good live, but bernard has alot of off nights vocally...
oh and mr disco hands down my fav new order song, so under rated.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:40 PM   #29
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus

BTW, Ian Curtis hanging himself is the best thing that ever happened to British music. Joy Division was great for what they started, but I couldn't imagine more albums of that stuff.
You are so, sooooooo wrong.

Joy Division at the end of their career was clearly turning towards a more classic sort of 'Pop' music; hence songs like Love Will Tear Us Apart & Ceremony.

To say 'more albums of that stuff' displays an enormous ignorance of Joy Divisions discography on your part IMO.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:32 PM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

I owned JD's Substance when I was in high school so I'm aware of the progression over the course of their career.

Unfortunately, Love Will Tear Us Apart pales in comparison to every pop song New Order's written. I don't know what Ian Curtis would have done with his career had he survived, but I find it hard to believe he could have made better music than the fantastic and eclectic stuff New Order delivered over the last 25 years.