New Nelly Furtado?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thatsnotmypuppy

War Child
I just heard a snippit of the new Nelly Furtado song 'Maneater'. It's not a cover of the old (Hall & Oates?) song and it sounds fantastic. Apparently there is a radio embargo of teh track here in Australia until Feb 27 - so who has heard the whole thing? Who has it? Where is it? And isn't Nelly just damn fine?

'Folklore' was one of the most overlooked albums ever IMO. 'Try', 'Powerless', 'Forca', 'One Trick Pony' and 'The Grass Is Greener' are amazing, amazing tracks.

So - what do you think of Ms Furtado?

Nelly-Furtado.jpg

Yeah, I kind agree... Folklore is a bit bubblegum-pop album but it is has a great concept and well conceived. It reminds me my country a bit (Nelly has got portuguese parents or grandparents, whatever...) because of the musical influences, that has cavaquinho and sometimes parts of tradicional music from the portuguese people. I like it and it's overated.

I loved her first album, but didn't gibe with Folklore. I'll be very interested to see what she's come up with this time. She's amazing live. :)

The new single sounds too...hip-hop-y to me. She's good at singing pop songs. She should stay away from the hip-hop influence.

she was on a tv show called ' The new paul o grady show ' on thursday, paul asked her what was her favourite venue she has played at and she said slane castle opening for u2 and how she grew up listening to u2.

anyway she played maneater and it was great , im glad she played with a live band.

I actually like "Promiscuous", I think its got a great rhythm to it. But I kinda feel like Nelly Furtado has sold out, but then again the song sounds cool

I'm not mad on what I've heard from the new album. I agree with the above comments about her first album, though. I still enjoy that CD very much.

[q]Nelly Furtado's "Loose" new sound tanks
Sat Jun 3, 2006 10:44 PM ET

By Chris M. Walsh

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Chalk it up to a corporate merger, limited promotion or maybe just a record that was too different from her first -- whatever the reason, Nelly Furtado's last record tanked.

Most artists would love to sell 400,000 copies of a record in the United States, as Furtado did on her second release, "Folklore" (DreamWorks), which hit stores in November 2003. But it was a disappointment compared with the sales of her 2000 debut, "Whoa Nelly!" (DreamWorks), which moved 2.4 million copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan, and featured the hit song "I'm Like a Bird."

In part, the success of "Folklore" was affected by something beyond Furtado's control -- the sale of DreamWorks Records to Universal Music Group and subsequent merger. After the process was complete, she found herself on the Geffen Records roster -- a label very enthusiastic about her new record, "Loose," due June 20.

The first single in the United States, the urban-based "Promiscuous," produced by hip-hop uber-producer Timbaland, is making an impact on radio, retail and the digital world.

For the week ending May 25, the single's third week on radio, it charted in eight of the top 10 mainstream top 40 markets and at No. 9 on both the Billboard Hot 100 and Pop 100 Airplay charts. At Apple's iTunes Music Store, "Promiscuous" is the most downloaded song at press time.

"She's one of those artists that bridges the gaps between urban and rock music; she's very pop-oriented, yet has a rhythmic feel," says Tracy Austin, program director of KRBE Houston, which is spinning "Promiscuous." "And we ran out of Gwen Stefani to play, and I think this will pick up where that left off."

SOME FANS NOT AMUSED

"Promiscuous" and its video feature Furtado with a "new" urban sound and sexier image, something that isn't sitting well with all her fans. Much has been written, especially in the blogosphere, about Furtado selling out to a more accessible sound, while the video has been criticized for hitting the lowest common denominator.

"The video is indicative of the vibe we wanted to create with the song. It's a club track, and we took the opportunity to make a club video," says Chris Smith, Furtado's manager.

The sound on "Loose" was a direction Furtado says she long planned. "I knew this record would have to explore my urban sound a little more because I had been promising the fans that for a long time."

According to the artist and her manager, Furtado's urban sound was strongly supported from the highest levels at her record-label group: Interscope Geffen A&M chairman Jimmy Iovine. In recent years, Interscope has been most successful with such urban artists as Eminem and 50 Cent and artists with an urban influence, like Gwen Stefani.

"Jimmy originally suggested me and Timbaland should work together," Furtado says. "He really pushed me and helped push my boundaries."

The sound of "Loose" took direction after Furtado took Iovine's suggestion and met with Timbaland in Miami last year during a recording session that was expected to produce two songs. But drawing inspiration from the collaboration with Timbaland, the city and the other artists recording at the Hit Factory studio, Furtado emerged with 10 tracks, which make up the bulk of the new record.

"When you're recording at the Hit Factory in Miami, it's extremely exhilarating," Furtado says. "(Timbaland's) in one studio, Scott Storch in another, Cash Money and Lil Wayne upstairs. It was really stimulating."

Reuters/Billboard

© Reuters 2006. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by caching, framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters and the Reuters sphere logo are registered trademarks and trademarks of the Reuters group of companies around the world.
[/q]

Aww sad i missed her on Paul O' Grady's show :( He's hysterical :lol:

Well, in her position right now, either she "sells out" to reach a new audience or disappear off the music radar since that was where she was heading based on the sales performance of her last CD.

I like her new stuff and her old stuff. It's ok to like different things. There are no rules.

Back
Top Bottom