New material notwithstanding, I really like Weezer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
Yes, at one point the band that released Make Believe was actually really damn good and had some credibility. Ignore the crappiness of that album and the spottiness of the two that came before it, and you have two truly special records.

Blue Album: one of the friggin catchiest records of the 90's and beyond. The whole thing is one rockin' party of fat riffs, catchy vocal melodies, and more "I suck at life, but it's all good" lyrics than you can shake a stick at. This one time, I walked around in a music store for an extra 15 minutes just because they were playing this album all the way through. This one guy noticed I wasn't going to buy anything, but he didn't care, because we're pals. :lol:

Pinkerton: the last good emo album. Ever since Pinkerton, every artist that has attempted to copy that sound has phoned it in and forgot to add the intensity, pain, and craftsmanship that this album contained. It's probably the most flawed record ever created, but that's what makes it special. It sucks you into its own little world for 40 minutes, and I love that. Plus, it rocks even harder than Blue. :rockon:

They have had some great singles since then (Dope Nose, Hash Pipe, Island In The Sun, Keep Fishin'), but their last good "album" was Pinkerton, end of discussion. When Make Believe came out, I seriously expected something good, but it turned out to be horrible. :shrug: Supposedly, they're working on new material, but I really don't care. :| Anyone else like this band?

weezer's cool, i saw them live years ago

I enjoy the green album and Maladroit

never bothered with Make Believe

AtomicBono said:
weezer's cool, i saw them live years ago

I enjoy the green album and Maladroit

never bothered with Make Believe

What's your take on Pink & Blue?

LemonMelon said:

What's your take on Pink & Blue?

I like them both as well. Dunno what happened to my copies of them though. But Buddy Holly... :love:

Weezer's good fun catchy rock :up:

I quite like Blue Album, it's got some fun catchy songs. I used to have Green Album and Maladroit as well but got rid of both during one of my CD collection purges. I can't say I understand the worship Weezer gets in some quarters - they're good, but good in a pretty generic kind of way, IMO.

Honestly, I like everything they've released, including about half of Make Believe. As much filler as it was, it had some tremendously good singles, as opposed to Green and Maladroit which were very consistent albums to me, even if they had fewer obvious highlights. The blue album is, of course, transcendent and seeing a 15 minute version of Only in Dreams live was :drool: x :combust: infinity.

Pinkerton is damn near perfection, as well.

Saracene said:
I quite like Blue Album, it's got some fun catchy songs. I used to have Green Album and Maladroit as well but got rid of both during one of my CD collection purges. I can't say I understand the worship Weezer gets in some quarters - they're good, but good in a pretty generic kind of way, IMO.

Bingo.

Well, but I like Pinkerton, too. I'm nerdishly proud of the fact that I'm the only person I know who actually liked the album when it originally came out, too. Score one for the dork within, or something.

Weezer! :drool:

One band I've never seen live that I NEED to see live!!!

The Blue Album is really good, but as time goes on I don't think it's quite as great as it's made out to be. Pinkerton and The Green Album, I love. I think the highlights of The Blue Album, especially "The World Has Turned And Left Me Here", though are phenomenal, and "Say It 'Aint So" is one of my favorite Weezer songs ever. :drool:

I have Maladroit, but have never listened to it from start to finish, and I never even bought Make Believe.

'Cause I can't even look in your eyes
without shakin',
and I ain't fakin',
I'll bring home the turkey if you bring home the bacon.

Pinkerton is a more mature record, but there's something to be said for pure aural thrills. Blue is the real stuff, and isn't dated at all. Pinkerton is viewed as a masterpiece because of what preceeded it more than anything else, but what's great on it is really great.

El Scorcho is a standout track, but also one of the most blatant Pavement ripoffs I've ever heard. The fact that I saw Rivers Cuomo at 2 Pavement shows on 2 consecutive nights in Boston (the nights right before Brighten the Corners came out) staring in awe like he was looking at the return of Jesus to earth made me identify with him and think he was pathetic at the same time.

Green wasn't a bad album, but was calculated to relive the success of Blue, everyone knew it, and it wasn't even close. Maladroit seemed to be something more original, but was far from consistent. I didn't have the stomach to buy Make Believe after hearing the godawful Beverly Hills and We Are All on Drugs.

Personally, when it comes to emo (or pre-emo), I'll take Jimmy Eat World. Clarity doesn't have the hooks of Weezer, but is far more consistent, and both musically and lyrically sophisticated, somehow splitting the difference between Rivers and U2. Their two follow ups, while not as good, have shown they're able to go punkier and poppier with equal ability. I have higher hopes for their next album than anything Rivers is likely to put out.

In the garage where I belong
No one hears me sing my song

:love:

I dug out the blue album just recently and listened to it. Remembered how much fun it is!

Haven't heard anything else from theirs other than a few songs here and there.

I like a handful of their songs, but they're still on my shit list for the heinous Beverly Hills.

FitzChivalry said:
Weezer! :drool:

One band I've never seen live that I NEED to see live!!!

Lucky enough to have seen the band live twice. First time in '97, pre-Green, opening for No Doubt. The band was amazing but Rivers was so drunk, so sweaty, so out of it. Second time in '05, opening for the Foo Fighters, the band ruled the night. I so want new Weezer and a new tour. Green is my favorite album and I liked "Make Believe."

Back
Top Bottom