new macca album: memory almost full.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nope, but I can't wait to hear it. I was pleasantly surprised by the first single that's leaked, "Ever Present Past."

His last two albums have been extremely good, I hope this one delivers.

Does this mean I can buy the new Macca album with my Orange Mocha Frappuchino?

ORANGE MOCHA FRAPPUCHINOS!!!!!!!!

Jitterbug ... snap snap snap ... Jitterbug ... snap snap snap

Just no gas fights, please.

But, um, yes. Please buy your McCartney CD at your local Starbucks. :wink:

From rollingstone.com:

Preview Paul McCartney’s New Album, “Memory Almost Full”

When Paul McCartney sat down with producer David Kahne to record his latest album, Memory Almost Full, which comes out June 5th, the ex-Beatle said he wanted it to compare to everything he’d ever done. “I said ‘Everything?’” Kahne recalls. “He said ‘Everything.’ He was looking to make something great.”

We’ve had a chance to listen to the new disc, McCartney’s first since 2005’s Grammy-nominated Chaos and Creation in the Backyard, and while it’s not quite Sgt. Pepper’s, it’s pretty great. The album has a retrospective feel, with nods to McCartney’s discography: “Nod Your Head” sounds like “Come Together” and “Only Mama Knows” feels like a more metal version of “Helter Skelter.” The second half includes a five-song medley that recalls side two of Abbey Road. The medley revisits different eras of the musician’s life – from childhood summers by the sea to the experience of getting old and looking back – but it never sounds nostalgic or especially sad.

On the contrary, Macca seems to embrace the future, in both the lyrics and music: On “Vintage Clothes,” he sings “Don’t live in the past/Don’t hold on to something that’s changing fast,” before Trent Reznor-ish industrial effects drop in, giving the song an eminently modern veneer. McCartney has also made several moves leading up to the release that signal his embrace of change. He left Capitol Records last year and signed with Starbucks’ new label Hear Music, which will release Memory Almost Full. He has also agreed for the first time to release all of his solo music digitally and just shot a video for album opener “Dance Tonight,” directed by Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind director Michel Gondry, and starring Natalie Portman. “‘Memory Almost Full’ is a phrase that seemed to embrace modern life,” McCartney, in a letter released to the public, said of the album title, which came to him after the message popped up on his cell phone. “In modern life, our brains can get a bit overloaded.”

U2Man said:
has anyone heard this?

Yes. It's ok. I didn't like it as much as I liked Chaos and Confusion on first listen but maybe it'll be a grower. It's hard to hear new McCartney and not to want to immediately hold it up against the classics in his back catalogue.

Chaos and Creation was an excellent album by Paul standards.

I can't wait for this one!

I just picked up a used copy of "Tug of War," which I used to have on vinyl, way back when. I'd forgotten how much I loved it.

the video is out for the first single, Dance Tonight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTNXrkBSp_o

featuring the lovely natalie portman, and helmed by michael gondry..

it's a good song; seemingly a straightforward happy song, but given the album's themes, I wonder if it's touched with a bit of sadness for lost friends. certainly, the video seems to suggest as much.

Pre-orded the album on iTunes, gives you this single and the Dance tonight video. "Ever Present Past", like "Fine Line" is very catchy and hooks you in as the opener, can't wait for the rest. This drops the same day as Chris Cornell's "Carry On".

Chaos and Creation just might be my favorite album of 2005, so excellent.

The single doesn't do anything for me first time through :shrug: The video is marvellous though :up:

We'll see what's on the full disc.

I've also grown to love it now :love:

Fire off an email to mikethehockeyfan at gmail dot com with the subject line MACCA and I'll reply with a link you all might be interested in :wink: :wink: :wink:

Heard the song on the radio the other day and it didn't do much for me. But just watched the video and with the visuals added on, I think I like it more. The postman in the video looked familiar, but I can't place him..

Utoo said:
Heard the song on the radio the other day and it didn't do much for me. But just watched the video and with the visuals added on, I think I like it more. The postman in the video looked familiar, but I can't place him..
The postal truck and the postman actually reminded me of Postman Pat :heart:

You have email, this time with a correct link, hehe.

This album has grown on me.:up:

House of Wax - great song, jam....McCartney conjures up the spirit of Wings.

Also like: Mr. Bellamy, You Tell Me, The End of the End

--

But Gratitude? Not sure how this one ever made the cut.

SEATTLE, Washington (AP) -- Caffeine junkies who go to Starbucks for their daily fix are getting a nonstop dose of Paul McCartney's "Memory Almost Full" Tuesday as the coffee company's new record label releases its first CD.

Starbucks Corp. estimates that some 6 million people will be among the first to hear the new album as they line up for their lattes in more than 10,000 stores in 29 countries, where it's playing on a continuous loop throughout the day.

It's a tactic most retailers would not likely attempt "probably for no other reason than not wanting to drive their workers insane," quipped Mike McGuire, an analyst for Gartner Inc.

Still, McGuire said Starbucks has proved to be adept at selling music and thinks it's smart for the company to tap into its vast customer base.

"Let's face it. The energy has kind of gone out of the CD store launch," McGuire said, "so you've got to go where (consumers) are, which is typically buying coffee at a Starbucks." (Blog: What will Starbucks' impact be?)

Ken Lombard, president of Starbucks' entertainment division, said he's not worried about customers or baristas succumbing to McCartney overload. "To the contrary, we think everybody's going to be really excited," he said.

Starbucks co-founded its Hear Music label with Concord Music Group in March. McCartney was in the final stages of recording and mastering his latest set of songs when he signed a one-album deal with Hear Music, becoming the label's first artist.

"Once we heard the album ... we just knew this was a phenomenal record," Lombard said. "It is the most personal and revealing album that Paul has created in his solo career. ... It's such a reflection of his life and his career, I mean, the ups and downs and the recognition of really what a remarkable journey it has been. So it was really for us the perfect fit."

Lombard said he hasn't set any sales targets for "Memory Almost Full" but that he'd be "ecstatic" if it ends up rivaling "Genius Loves Company," an album of Ray Charles duets that Starbucks and Concord co-released in 2004. It won eight Grammy awards the following year and has sold more than 5.5 million copies worldwide.

McCartney remains Hear Music's only artist, but Lombard said the label remains on track with previously announced plans to sign two more artists this year and eight next year. Executives remain hopeful that McCartney will sign on for future albums.

"The relationship is going very well between us, and it is our hope that Paul is feeling the same way," Lombard said. "When the time is right, we'll talk about what the next steps are going to be beyond this, but right now our focus is doing everything we can to ensure that 'Memory Almost Full' is an extraordinary success."

A spokesman for McCartney declined to comment.

In addition to playing and selling the album in its stores, Starbucks got XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. to play McCartney music exclusively on one of its channels Tuesday, putting "Memory Almost Full" in heavy rotation.

Hear Music has also hired crews in London, New York, Berlin, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Seattle, Hong Kong, Tokyo and Miami to film footage of McCartney fans wishing him happy birthday for a video tribute that will be broadcast on Internet social-networking sites -- including Google Inc.'s YouTube, Yahoo Inc.'s Yahoo360 and Microsoft Corp.'s Windows Live Spaces -- on the artist's 65th birthday June 18.

Most labels lean heavily on artist appearances for CD releases, but Lombard said Monday it was not yet clear exactly what McCartney would be doing the day of the release.

"Paul likes to work in a way that he comes in and provides a great surprise to his fans and to music consumers, and that's an approach we're all on board with," Lombard said.

Hear Music hasn't completely abandoned more traditional marketing methods but is relying a lot less on advance radio play and music reviews ahead of the release of "Memory Almost Full."

The album will be sold at most Starbucks stores worldwide, in all major music retailers, and on Apple Inc.'s iTunes online store, making it the first of McCartney's 21 solo albums to be released digitally.

The postman has to be the guy with the wooden eye from Pirates of the Caribbean, great video BTW.

The reviews aren't too bad so far...69 on metacritic, with an extremely positive review from All Music Guide coming right up.

powerhour24 said:
The postman has to be the guy with the wooden eye from Pirates of the Caribbean, great video BTW.

Mackenzie Crook!

He was also Gareth on the BBC Office, one of the greatest shows of all-time. I still think Dwight is better, but what can you do?

Wow you're right about the Office as well, it's been awhile since I've watched, probably since the piss-poor NBC version still infuriates me.

Utoo said:

It's the actor who played 'Garreth' in the English version of 'The Office.' He was the British 'Dwight.'

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom