New LOR extended edition DVD - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 11-18-2002, 12:45 PM   #16
War Child
Local Time: 02:55 AM
I thought the incredible attention to detail was one of the things that made it so great. It's in the mail!

Old 11-19-2002, 03:44 PM   #17
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
Local Time: 09:55 PM
Originally posted by AvsGirl41

Actually, that's not dedication to duty, that's just reality of chainmaile! That's actually how you have to make it! It's incredibly time-consuming...and the *really* dedicated ones make their own rings, one by one, rather than buying "pre-made" ones. (Though where you actually buy them, I have no idea.)

Can you tell how much I've hung out at the Renaissance Faire?
Interesting stuff....

Aragorn looks particularly nice in chainmaile though....

Actually, it quite is dedication to duty. I've got the set, and they said that most movie chain mail is actually not rings tied together, but cheap plastic molds of entire pieces of chainmail, just spray painted metallic and it looked quite fake. So for the sake of detail and a more authentic look, they actually made their own rings out of hard plastic tubing that they devised a machine for that would cut the proper sized rings out of, then they would spray paint each one and finally hand link them together. They chose plastic as it would be much easier to repair as well as much lighter to wear for the actors. One piece of mail might have over 80,000 links in it, so yes, it was quite a labor of love!

I'll just chime in here and say that the extended 4-dvd set would be worth the money if it was only the 2 special features discs alone. I'm usually bored to tears by extended special features, but I found these fascinating - it really gives you a much deeper appreciation for the film and all involved in it. The amount of detail, time, determination and downright love that went into this film is astounding.

My business! | My hobby!