new LiVE album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IWasBored

Blue Crack Supplier
the band live. somehow it seems to make sense to me to type the band's name as "LiVE" cos it looks more like the font on the first two albums.

may 20th in the U.S. and may 19th for the rest of the world, the new album comes out. they've out done their past albums as far as cheesy titles go, and named it "birds of pray" (which is just as bad as what "V" was almost called--"ecstatic fanatic"). yes, "pray" not "prey", that's where the cheesyness factor comes in.

track listing:

heaven*
she
the sanctity of dreams
life marches on
like i do
sweet release
everytime i see your face
lighthouse
river town
out to dry
bring the people together
what are we fighting for?

*first single

disclaimer: i'm fully aware of the fact that i'm probably the only person who cares, but i'm in denial and want to pretend that there are other people here who like the band as well

edited cos i'm dumb and hit the wrong icon at the start of the post :reject:

I usta like em, until they fell waaaay the fuck of with the album after "Secret Samadhi." Even that album was mediocre at best. Still, prolly worth at least picking up a used copy.

secret samadhi is probably my favourite album of theirs.

didn't they put out an album like a year ago?

last album they put out was in 2001, so, no, they didn't put one out last year

the only tune I ever hear on the radio anymore from them is "lightning crashes".
which doesn't mean anything, really....just an observation.
I like the song "turn my head".

JOFO said:
the only tune I ever hear on the radio anymore from them is "lightning crashes".
which doesn't mean anything, really....just an observation.
I like the song "turn my head".

you're not the only one who hears just that song

i love that song, but that's one of the things that annoys me most, is when people ONLY know that song...or think throwing copper is their first album

Yay!! I really do like Live and was lucky enough to catch them at a radio festival in like '97, Ed was quite the frontman. I think Live is terribly underrated, especially considering how young the band was when Mental Jewelry came out, like 19 or whatever, and their music has always been so deep and spritiual. I hope this new album goes over big, I'd love to see Live again and be able to hear more than "Lightning Crashes" on the radio.

dsmith2904 said:
Yay!! I really do like Live and was lucky enough to catch them at a radio festival in like '97, Ed was quite the frontman. I think Live is terribly underrated, especially considering how young the band was when Mental Jewelry came out, like 19 or whatever, and their music has always been so deep and spritiual. I hope this new album goes over big, I'd love to see Live again and be able to hear more than "Lightning Crashes" on the radio.

whooohoo! a live fan!

they're u2 fans too, you know...ed k. was running around the stage making u-shapes and peace sign 2s with his hands while yelling "U2!" when listing off band-influences when i saw them in 2000. chad taylor has been known to call AB one of his favourite albums, but i can't find the exact source...

Not only do I know that Mental Jewelry exists, but it is also my favorite Live album. My favorite live song is probably Selling the Drama, though. Hope they take things somewhere fresh that works better than V did.

I like them, have seen them 4 times. Though as I recall one of them (Chad Taylor I think) said somewhere back around 1997 that they could "blow U2 off stage" or something to that effect. They've never played longer than 90 minutes any time I've seen them and certainly can't blow U2 off stage.
But I am otherwise a fan, own all their stuff, and like a lot of the non-radio played songs, (Stage, White Discussion, Heropsychodreamer, Ghost, Sun, and Pain Lies on the Riverside amongst my favorites)

Last edited:
Count me in as a fan too. They are without a doubt one of my all time favourite bands. And yes, terribly underrated.
The anti Secret Samadhi movement saddens me, I thought it was a brilliant album. But then, unlike many bands, all their albums are great in my mind. Usually bands will have one or 2 lemons, but not really Live. Though I am yet to hear anything off Mental Jewellry. It is rather absent from music stores here.

I am really excited about the new album. I might buy it as soon as it comes out, without hearing anything first - I doubt we'll hear much airtime to start with here. At least Live is one of those bands who usually pay up with this kind of risk, buying something unheard.

you need to hear the mental jewelry album. there's a website around that had mp3s of "death of a dictionary" (the self-released album they did under their original band name, public affection, before mental jewelry. it's got a different version of "good pain" as wel as some other cool songs)...i should go see if i can find that link. i'm really curious to see if any other u2 fans think that they tried copying the general music ideas in 'mothers of the disappeared'.

i've never heard the thing about blowing u2 off stage, i've just heard instances where they've called them one of their favourite bands.

i'm pretty convinced there are a few u2 references on "V" other than the line about dreaming of being on stage with queen, michael stipe, elton john, bono and springsteen.

yeah for non-singles! "heropsychodreamer" kicks ass! same with the other ones you mentioned, hewson.

"what are we fighting for" is on kazaa, if you try searching for any of the other songs, you get the same thing, i'm not sure what it is, but it seemed like a looped clip of something, probably part of the first single.

album cover:

bopm.jpg

so the album came out in europe today from what i've read...

and it comes out in the u.s. tomorrow! whoohoo!

(hence the bumping of this thread)

I got the album Saturday. It's OK, not quite up there with their best, but miles beyond V. The music falls somewhere in between Throwing Copper and the non-eastern stuff on TDTH, and the lyrics are exactly what you'd expect had V never been written. Sadly, this makes it a very complacent record, and a little boring. It's like comfort food. It's not really all that bad, and you won't be upset if you like Live, but it's not for everyone, even though it sounds like that was what they were going for. 3 stars.

LiVE fan here! I think I'm one of the few people who owned Mental Jewelry before Throwing Copper, both of which I loved. My husband had Secret Samadhi, which I never got into. I've been wanting to give it another listen lately, but we seem to have lost the CD... I doubt I'll buy this new one, unless you all say it's wonderful and I shouldn't live without it, etc. :D

Favorite LiVE songs:
Pain Lies on the Riverside
White, Discussion
Lakini's Juice
t.b.d.
Water Boy
Operation Spirit
cover of Supernatural

(I much prefer LiVe when they're really rockin.)

Favorite LiVE moment:
Watching their Unplugged show, which I have on tape. My dad said, "These guys are pretty good." Major compliment coming from him!

Hello,

At this moment Live is playing on the radio. The station here is premiering their new album this week, so a couple of times a day they play a track from the new album. Judging from the tracklist they're now playing Bring The People Together.
I'm also going to see them live on 1 July (although I'm more interested in the other big act playing that day: Coldplay). Still, I like a couple of their songs (mainly the singles), but there are other tracks that don't do that much to me.

C ya!

Marty (living in a country where Live is big)

live is playing in my cd player now :hyper:

not such a big fan of "she"...love "the sanctity of dreams"! still haven't heard the whole album ("heaven", "what are we fighting for", "she", and about half of "the sanctity of dreams")

i watched the 4 song dvd that came with the cd

Gave it a first listen last night and I like it. Significant improvement over V as a whole.
Standouts thus far are: Like I Do, Lighthouse, Bring The People Together, The Sanctity of Dreams.

The DVD is a nice little bonus as well.

LiVE is Pennsylvania's version of U2.I own Throwing Copper,Secret Samadhi,The Distance To Here,and V.Each album has at least 4-5 songs that kick butt.

MY LIST:

I ALONE
SELLING THE DRAMA
LIGHTNING CRASHES
WHITE DISCUSSION

LAKINI'S JUICE
GRAZE
GHOST
TURN MY HEAD

DOLPHINS CRY
RUN TO THE WATER
FACE AND THE GHOST(THE CHILDERN'S SONG)
DANCE WITH YOU

SIMPLE *****
DEEP ENOUGH
TRANSMIT YOUR LOVE

Tese songs rock for not being U2.They need more videos for their songs.I'm sure people who like them will watch them like me. ::smiles::

Life is like a shooting star
It don't matter who you areIf you only run for cover,it's just a watse of time
We are lost "til we are found
The pheonix rises up from the ground
And all these wars are over

Dolphin's Cry -LiVE

Hewson said:
The DVD is a nice little bonus as well.

Is this also the DVD with 3 or 4 songs from the Pinkpop festival (from 2001)? At least, that's the DVD that comes with the Dutch edition of this album.

C ya!

Marty

I'm a Live fan as well. I think I lost interest when they veared toward the Eastern mysticism stuff, but Mental Jewelry was my first Live album and still my favorite. Pain, Operation Spirit, Beauty of Grey, etc.. just awesome. Another thing that plagues the band in my opinion is that they almost always stick to the same song structure. Starting out slowly and building and kicking in about midway, blah, blah, blah... My friends and I used to joke about that all the time.

I will check out the new one.

I haven't heard a lot from Live. I do like "Lightning Crashes", but I also remember hearing "The Dolphin's Cry"-I really like that song.

It's interesting you guys mention U2 in this whole thing, 'cause I just read a review of Live's new album in a recent issue of People, and the reviewer didn't give it that great a review-they referred to Live as a "poor man's U2".

I thought that was kinda interesting...I'd never really put Live and U2 in the same kind of field like that, but...:shrug:.

Angela

I loved that song "Run to the Water" from The Distance to Here...I think U2 should consider covering it.

I always liked Live, but haven't been as interested in them as I used to be since maybe 1999 or so. But I did like Secret Samadhi. Live has done some wonderfully creepy songs, too--"The Dam at Otter Creek" always freaks me out.

womanfish said:
I'm a Live fan as well. I think I lost interest when they veared toward the Eastern mysticism stuff, but Mental Jewelry was my first Live album and still my favorite. Pain, Operation Spirit, Beauty of Grey, etc.. just awesome. Another thing that plagues the band in my opinion is that they almost always stick to the same song structure. Starting out slowly and building and kicking in about midway, blah, blah, blah... My friends and I used to joke about that all the time.

I will check out the new one.

if you look at mental jewelry and read j. krishnamurti's you are the world , the eastern philisophical stuff was there from the beginning. nearly every song on that album is really obviously inspired by something in that book...it's really itneresting to look at it from that perspective

Back
Top Bottom