new LiVE album - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2003, 04:05 PM   #1
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:36 AM
new LiVE album

the band live. somehow it seems to make sense to me to type the band's name as "LiVE" cos it looks more like the font on the first two albums.

may 20th in the U.S. and may 19th for the rest of the world, the new album comes out. they've out done their past albums as far as cheesy titles go, and named it "birds of pray" (which is just as bad as what "V" was almost called--"ecstatic fanatic"). yes, "pray" not "prey", that's where the cheesyness factor comes in.

track listing:

heaven*
she
the sanctity of dreams
life marches on
like i do
sweet release
everytime i see your face
lighthouse
river town
out to dry
bring the people together
what are we fighting for?

*first single

disclaimer: i'm fully aware of the fact that i'm probably the only person who cares, but i'm in denial and want to pretend that there are other people here who like the band as well

edited cos i'm dumb and hit the wrong icon at the start of the post

Old 04-07-2003, 06:31 PM   #2
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:36 AM
I usta like em, until they fell waaaay the fuck of with the album after "Secret Samadhi." Even that album was mediocre at best. Still, prolly worth at least picking up a used copy.

Old 04-07-2003, 09:04 PM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier

secret samadhi is probably my favourite album of theirs.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:03 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:36 PM
didn't they put out an album like a year ago?
Old 04-07-2003, 11:05 PM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

last album they put out was in 2001, so, no, they didn't put one out last year
Old 04-07-2003, 11:11 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:36 PM
the only tune I ever hear on the radio anymore from them is "lightning crashes".
which doesn't mean anything, really....just an observation.
I like the song "turn my head".
Old 04-07-2003, 11:24 PM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by JOFO
the only tune I ever hear on the radio anymore from them is "lightning crashes".
which doesn't mean anything, really....just an observation.
I like the song "turn my head".

you're not the only one who hears just that song

i love that song, but that's one of the things that annoys me most, is when people ONLY know that song...or think throwing copper is their first album
Old 04-08-2003, 12:19 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:36 AM
Yay!! I really do like Live and was lucky enough to catch them at a radio festival in like '97, Ed was quite the frontman. I think Live is terribly underrated, especially considering how young the band was when Mental Jewelry came out, like 19 or whatever, and their music has always been so deep and spritiual. I hope this new album goes over big, I'd love to see Live again and be able to hear more than "Lightning Crashes" on the radio.
Old 04-08-2003, 12:30 AM   #9
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by dsmith2904
Yay!! I really do like Live and was lucky enough to catch them at a radio festival in like '97, Ed was quite the frontman. I think Live is terribly underrated, especially considering how young the band was when Mental Jewelry came out, like 19 or whatever, and their music has always been so deep and spritiual. I hope this new album goes over big, I'd love to see Live again and be able to hear more than "Lightning Crashes" on the radio.

whooohoo! a live fan!

they're u2 fans too, you know...ed k. was running around the stage making u-shapes and peace sign 2s with his hands while yelling "U2!" when listing off band-influences when i saw them in 2000. chad taylor has been known to call AB one of his favourite albums, but i can't find the exact source...
Old 04-08-2003, 01:21 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:36 AM
Not only do I know that Mental Jewelry exists, but it is also my favorite Live album. My favorite live song is probably Selling the Drama, though. Hope they take things somewhere fresh that works better than V did.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:25 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:36 AM
I like them, have seen them 4 times. Though as I recall one of them (Chad Taylor I think) said somewhere back around 1997 that they could "blow U2 off stage" or something to that effect. They've never played longer than 90 minutes any time I've seen them and certainly can't blow U2 off stage.
But I am otherwise a fan, own all their stuff, and like a lot of the non-radio played songs, (Stage, White Discussion, Heropsychodreamer, Ghost, Sun, and Pain Lies on the Riverside amongst my favorites)
Old 04-08-2003, 11:08 AM   #12
Jesus Online

Local Time: 02:36 AM
Count me in as a fan too. They are without a doubt one of my all time favourite bands. And yes, terribly underrated.
The anti Secret Samadhi movement saddens me, I thought it was a brilliant album. But then, unlike many bands, all their albums are great in my mind. Usually bands will have one or 2 lemons, but not really Live. Though I am yet to hear anything off Mental Jewellry. It is rather absent from music stores here.

I am really excited about the new album. I might buy it as soon as it comes out, without hearing anything first - I doubt we'll hear much airtime to start with here. At least Live is one of those bands who usually pay up with this kind of risk, buying something unheard.
Old 04-08-2003, 01:36 PM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

you need to hear the mental jewelry album. there's a website around that had mp3s of "death of a dictionary" (the self-released album they did under their original band name, public affection, before mental jewelry. it's got a different version of "good pain" as wel as some other cool songs)...i should go see if i can find that link. i'm really curious to see if any other u2 fans think that they tried copying the general music ideas in 'mothers of the disappeared'.

i've never heard the thing about blowing u2 off stage, i've just heard instances where they've called them one of their favourite bands.

i'm pretty convinced there are a few u2 references on "V" other than the line about dreaming of being on stage with queen, michael stipe, elton john, bono and springsteen.

yeah for non-singles! "heropsychodreamer" kicks ass! same with the other ones you mentioned, hewson.

"what are we fighting for" is on kazaa, if you try searching for any of the other songs, you get the same thing, i'm not sure what it is, but it seemed like a looped clip of something, probably part of the first single.
Old 04-08-2003, 01:41 PM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier

album cover:

Old 05-19-2003, 09:56 PM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

so the album came out in europe today from what i've read...

and it comes out in the u.s. tomorrow! whoohoo!

(hence the bumping of this thread)