New Led Zeppelin Record OR New Pink Floyd Record

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which would you rather have?

• Page/Plant/Jones/New Dummer record a new LZ record

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Waters/Gilmour/Mason/Wright record a new PF record

Votes: 33 80.5%

• Total voters
PF. Live Aid taught us that with without John Bonham, and with Robert Plant slobbering all over the stage, LZ is just painful to watch.

Canadiens1160 said:
PF. Live Aid taught us that with without John Bonham, and with Robert Plant slobbering all over the stage, LZ is just painful to watch.

But we're not talking about a performance, we're talking about a new studio record. When you listen to a record, you don't watch anyone.

Live Aid taught us that a lot of bands sucked that night, not just the dudes from Led Zep. U2 and Queen were pretty much all of the bands that put on a truly great set.

Lemon, you know what I meant. I'd say fuck Syd Barret, but he fucked himself sometime back in 1967. I liked Syd, but he was barely around in the grand scheme of things. But, without Syd, we wouldn't have gotten DOS or WYWH. In regard to both "bands" cutting a new album, I say "you can't go home again".

namkcuR said:

But we're not talking about a performance, we're talking about a new studio record. When you listen to a record, you don't watch anyone.
I can't imagine Zep with anyone other than Bonham. Not even his son.

WinnieThePoo said:

yet , she's not that evil , she's a good person , it's not her fault that Dave can't make a decent song on his own

Oh, I'm sure she's probably pleasant enough. My only issue with her is that she plays a very big role in every musical thing David does these days...maybe too big of a role. I'd rather hear an instrumental album from him than one littered with Polly's mediocre attempts at imagery. It has been Gilmour/Samson since 1994 and I think very little will change that. It's one reason why there will never be a new Pink Floyd album. Ha, oh God, I just had a vision of Roger offering a re-formed Pink Floyd some lyrics, only to have Polly butt in with her lovey-dovey romantic rubbish. It would never work.

Canadiens1160 said:

I guess it's all relative. I just looked up some of their Live Aid set on youtube, and it wasn't that painful...it was actually pretty good compared to most bands these days. If you read the comments, apparently the drumming was off, and Jimmy Page was drunk. In other words, half their former glory.

I'd be more interested in seeing PF reunite. I think they'd have more to say instead of simply breaking out the greatest hits.

Led Zeppelin
though I am pretty ok with neither of them recording a single thing ever again

GibsonGirl said:
Ha, oh God, I just had a vision of Roger offering a re-formed Pink Floyd some lyrics, only to have Polly butt in with her lovey-dovey romantic rubbish. It would never work.

I don't see any lovey dovey romantic rubbish on The Division Bell. Waters' lyrics are either too depressing or too boring for me. Sure, I love Animals and The Wall and I like Final Cut. But after giving Amused To Death another chance, I still can't get into it. It's like a freakin' documentary. :crack: I'd rather listen to something like Take It Back.

Zootlesque said:

I don't see any lovey dovey romantic rubbish on The Division Bell. Waters' lyrics are either too depressing or too boring for me. Sure, I love Animals and The Wall and I like Final Cut. But after giving Amused To Death another chance, I still can't get into it. It's like a freakin' documentary. :crack: I'd rather listen to something like Take It Back.

Not really on The Division Bell, no, but have you read the lyrics to most of On An Island? Sappy to the nth degree. That's the kind of stuff David and Polly are doing these days. Songs like that just wouldn't work for a Pink Floyd album. They were never really a "love song" kind of band. As for Amused To Death...I think it's lightyears ahead of The Division Bell in terms of theme and emotion, but that's just me.

Why not bring Jim Morrison back from the dead and get a new Doors record?

On a serious note, I'd prefer Pink Floyd - they're the better band in my opinion, and their music is more timeless and ecstatic.

But screw all this, I want a new U2 album.

If anyone wants to hear Roger Waters's feelings regarding a new Floyd album: http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/410965/966993

Scroll down to about the last fourth of the page. :drool: Of course, nothing will ever come of it, but it's still nice to imagine the possibility.

Last edited:
GibsonGirl said:
If anyone wants to hear Roger Waters's feelings regarding a new Floyd album: http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/410965/966993

Awesome interview. :up:

Interesting bit about rewriting The Wall. He's so passionate about the political stuff, and about life in general. Pretty inspiring.

I can really envision them doing something intriguing and relevant with a PF reunion because of those stances on war and religion that he has. More than money, I think it's the possibility of making a dent in people's psyches that would really propel them at this point.

angelordevil said:

Awesome interview. :up:

Interesting bit about rewriting The Wall. He's so passionate about the political stuff, and about life in general. Pretty inspiring.

I can really envision them doing something intriguing and relevant with a PF reunion because of those stances on war and religion that he has. More than money, I think it's the possibility of making a dent in people's psyches that would really propel them at this point.

Yeah, there's going to be a Broadway production of The Wall sometime in the future. I'm not quite sure how I feel about that, but I'm eager to hear how it turns out!

And definitely, I think they could write a very relevant album if they all got together and wrote a few songs. I have a feeling Roger would have to tone down on the politics, though, in the highly highly highly unlikely event that they would regroup. I can remember Nick mentioning in his book somewhere (or maybe it was in an article) that David dislikes mixing politics with music, and that this was one of the many reasons why he disliked the direction that The Final Cut took. So I think, if anything, we'll get a very political solo album out of Roger in the years to come. Perhaps even a religious one. A concept album about religion's dark grip on humanity, now that sounds like it could be something!

By the way, you should check this out if you want to hear more about ol' Rog's view on life: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTnFcJpW0Es . I always enjoy listening to his interviews! They're so interesting.

On an unrelated note, blizzard tomorrow. :(

GibsonGirl said:

Yeah, there's going to be a Broadway production of The Wall sometime in the future. I'm not quite sure how I feel about that, but I'm eager to hear how it turns out!

And definitely, I think they could write a very relevant album if they all got together and wrote a few songs. I have a feeling Roger would have to tone down on the politics, though, in the highly highly highly unlikely event that they would regroup. I can remember Nick mentioning in his book somewhere (or maybe it was in an article) that David dislikes mixing politics with music, and that this was one of the many reasons why he disliked the direction that The Final Cut took. So I think, if anything, we'll get a very political solo album out of Roger in the years to come. Perhaps even a religious one. A concept album about religion's dark grip on humanity, now that sounds like it could be something!

By the way, you should check this out if you want to hear more about ol' Rog's view on life: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTnFcJpW0Es . I always enjoy listening to his interviews! They're so interesting.

On an unrelated note, blizzard tomorrow. :(

Another great interview :up:

I like his take on things, how he sees both sides, but still sticks to what he believes in. Transcendence for George Bush...if only!

I guess we'll have to see about a reunion. Maybe David would be a little more flexible with the politics this time around...you could make an argument that the average fan is probably more aware of world politics right now than when The Final Cut came out. I was listening to that album the other day, and thinking how if you changed some of the characters in the songs, the message and vision would be amazingly relevant and biting in this era of Iraq and terrorism.

I guess it would hinge on Gilmour, and his willingness to give in a bit. I found this interview with him last weekend...I finally located it again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyBnxh8jkpw&mode=related&search=

Notice how he subtlety evades the question of whether Live 8 was the official goodbye. I thought he actually seemed a little uncomfortable...maybe he's right on the fence about the issue.

On the blizzard note, we really got one. Nice to have the day off from work. I spent most of it shovelling, and now I'm off to shovel out an elderly neighbour's stairwell. The snow is so slushy and heavy now, like cement. More snow on Friday :(

Back
Top Bottom