New Interpol Album Leaked(soulseek)!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know, this type of thing really irritates me even though I'm not a fan of Interpol. I fail to see how someone who is a fan of a band can justify stealing (which is what illegally downloading a CD is - theft of intellectual property) from that band. I know that many people feel the band isn't making anything from cd sales anyway and the record companies are making too much, but just how that justify stealing? The cd is too expensive? Well then don't buy the damned thing, but don't steal it either. And to those that say, "well, if I like it (after downloading) I'll go out and buy it" I ask, do you steal a pair of shoes and if you like them go buy another pair?

I know, I know, I'm a pain, but I like too many smaller bands who really do depend on cd sales (amongst other things) to make a living.

while i understand your position, the reality is that if there was no such thing as "illegal downloading", bands like Interpol wouldn't even be heard of.

the internet has opened the door for so many small bands, and being in an original band, myself, i'd feel honored if someone were to download my songs.

mikal said:
while i understand your position, the reality is that if there was no such thing as "illegal downloading", bands like Interpol wouldn't even be heard of.

the internet has opened the door for so many small bands, and being in an original band, myself, i'd feel honored if someone were to download my songs.

I have no problem whatsoever with the legal downloading of music - many, many bands offer several free downloads of songs on their websites, and some bands (Sea Ray and Remy Zero - before they broke up) even allow one to stream entire albums from their site. It is the illegal downloading I strongly oppose. And I really can't see any justification for it, especially when free downloads are readily offered.

And if you would be honored if someone were to download your songs, mikal, that's great, you should make them available. But if you choose not to make them available for free downloads the people who want them should respect that and purchase then if the want them. Whoever owns the material has the right to distribute it anyway they choose.

I guess I just don't get why people seem to think this is really any different than stealing something from a shop, or refusing to give you your paycheck after you have done your work.

To download or not to download.....

Indra, I totally understand your view points on this. I tend to never download entire albums, unless I know for a fact I will buy the CD when it comes out. I've loved their first album so much that I already know I'm going to want to get this one. I'll also be seeing them in concert in a month, so it would be nice if I actually knew some of the new songs.

That being said, I've had the fun of buying a new album ruined for me a few times when I've already downloaded and heard the whole album multiple times. Hmmm.....we'll see, so many decisions.

I learn about bands like Interpol from music magazines - and then wait until I hear a song on their website or at Amazon. When making music is your livelihood and more than a weekend sideproject, I do see the argument to not download the album online and then maybe later NOT buy it. Maybe I'm old fashioned that way, I dunno. I've been friends with way too many musicians who do not like to be stolen from, and have seen their careers suffer and/or not take off because of it. So, file me in with people who see the downloading of the album online (and then not buying it/deleting it) as the same as walking into a record shop and stealing it.

I liken it to the same way I feel about people who talk on their cell phone and drive at the same time. It's like, "what did you ever DO without a cellphone?" - I think it's the progression of the culture needing everything "now" as opposed to hearing about things the way we previously did - radio, MTV and magazines (depending upon what music you like).

And further, all this talk about the music industry losing money, laying off their staffs and reducing their rosters (i.e. putting bands and artists out of a contract and thusly out of money) - I don't recall all of that happening in SUCH a big way before the advent of online downloading services.

I hate to go on - but in my professional life, I deal with alot of my products getting pirated online because people feel entitled to have registration codes for free. When people no longer feel the need to pay for my software, I am out of a job and out of money.

well, whether or not you believe in it or not, let's try to stay on topic about the new Interpol album, shall we?

mikal said:
well, whether or not you believe in it or not, let's try to stay on topic about the new Interpol album, shall we?

No problem. I'll be glad to talk about the new Interpol album when it is released.

I just want listen to something of the new thing, as fan of Interpol that I'm obviously I will buy their new album... :shrug:

HelloAngel said:

No problem. I'll be glad to talk about the new Interpol album when it is released.

that was not necessary. i was just trying to give people a heads up. whether or not you agree with the morality of this leak, i was just trying to do something nice. and funny how when the new Radiohead was leaked, the thread was stickied at the top of the page, so everyone could download it. i'd just love to see what some of you would be saying if the new U2 was leaked right now!

anyway. back on topic, this album seems to be more melodic than their first outing. it's still amazing how at moments, Interpol reminds me of early U2. "Take You On A Cruise" is my favorite album so far.

I found it....it's all in mono. I'll have the whole thing soon.

Not sure if I want to listen to it all. I dig the first song, it's all I've heard. Wish I knew what the first single was going to be. I'd just keep that. I'd just like to be familiar with the new songs when I hear them live.

Man, I love Interpol. :up:

Edit:

I listened to the first 4 songs and deleted the album. I realized that I absolutely loved all 4 of them, and dont want to ruin getting the album when it comes out. I'll download whatever song is released as a single when that's announced.

Interpol has still got it. They may very well make their way onto my 'favorites' list.

Last edited:
mikal said:

You have to be kidding. Isn't this thread all about where one can download a leaked album? You want to talk about the album itself, that's just fine and dandy, but both the title and the content of the first post indicate that illegal downloading is an issue here.

But I'm not here to pick a fight (could have fooled you, eh?), merely to state my view on illegal downloading. And I certainly understand the strong desire to hear the music of a band you love - we all have strongly anticipated an album or two in our lives. I believe music sounds better when it is legally obtained and the artist fairly compensated. I guess it's an issue each of us works out for ourselves.

mikal said:

that was not necessary. i was just trying to give people a heads up. whether or not you agree with the morality of this leak, i was just trying to do something nice. and funny how when the new Radiohead was leaked, the thread was stickied at the top of the page, so everyone could download it. i'd just love to see what some of you would be saying if the new U2 was leaked right now!

Not necessary? What did I say that was offensive? I simply stated when I would discuss the new album. I have not said one thing about the fact that you gave anyone a head's up, have I? I will be more than happy to discuss the album when I can get the album. That's all.

As far as the Radiohead thing, I had no part in that - nor did I hear that album all the way through yet.

Same goes for U2; I will hear it when it is released on the U2.com site in snippets or when I get a copy of the CD in my hands. But I can only speak for what I do, and I will not say what someone else should do.

indra said:

I guess it's an issue each of us works out for ourselves.

your last sentence sums it up perfect, which brings me to the question, why rain on our parade if it's an issue each of us works out for ourselves?

[qoute]But I can only speak for what I do, and I will not say what someone else should do.[/quote]

then Angela, why did you post in this thread exactly?

i'm not trying to start some war or anything, but seriously, if you don't like what we're doing, stay the fuck out, because it's not going to change our minds.

thank you.

mikal said:

i'm not trying to start some war or anything, but seriously, if you don't like what we're doing, stay the fuck out, because it's not going to change our minds.

thank you.

Umm...you brought it up! And I also think you protest too much, if you really don't care what I think, why are you so touchy? Just ignore the dissenting views if they bother you so much. But if you really don't want the issue discussed in the future I would suggest you phrase your original post more carefully.

(PS And telling those with dissenting views to "stay the fuck out" is rude.)

Originally posted by u2popmofo
I'm getting sick of having to post this, but everyone who's so against downloading never seems to read it.

http://forum.interference.com/out.p...g_March2004.pdf

My pdf reader on my pc is screwed up, so I can't read it, but I'm assuming from your tenor that the gist of this is that illegal downloading actually helps cd sales. I've read these reports/studies and I will conceed the possibility, but then again studies are not foolproof (remember, margerine is better for you than butter? well it isn't true...at least for now! just about anything can be proved and disproved in studies).

In addition, why shouldn't the owner of the intellectual property (in this case, music) have control over how it is distributed? To me a lot of the issue is basic respect for the artist. Somehow having one's work taken just doesn't seem very respectful (trust me, I sell my work and have had people steal it - not a good feeling, even when overall sales are good. I even had one of the thieves have the gall to call me up wanting to know when I was next exhibiting! Sadly, it's not cost effective to prosecute, so I just seeth a bit and go on, but I did drop that woman off my mailing list!). Just because you want it now doesn't mean you have a right to it now.

There's no need for this to turn into an argument or even a debate. If everyone has said their opinion, please just stick to the topic of the new album if you have actually heard it. Or are interested in hearing it. Or whatever.

Start a new thread for debating the merits of illegal downloading.

mikal said:

But I can only speak for what I do, and I will not say what someone else should do.

then Angela, why did you post in this thread exactly?

thank you.

That's truly not necessary, Mikal. I've always been nice to you in the past, and my name is not Angela. I'm not raining on anyone's parade, and I'm sorry if you took it as such.

I would never tell you to "stay the fuck out" of anywhere, and it's quite rude to say it to me or anyone else around here. We all have feelings around here, and your keyboard is not a suit of armor. So be nice, and I'll do the same. But here, if you think I'm judging you (which I'm not), I will leave you be.

Angela Harlem said:
There's no need for this to turn into an argument or even a debate. If everyone has said their opinion, please just stick to the topic of the new album if you have actually heard it. Or are interested in hearing it. Or whatever.

Start a new thread for debating the merits of illegal downloading.

thank you.

helloangel, i apologize for getting heated with you. it's just that i have a certain respect level that i expect, and when i feel that it's below that level, i tend to get a little pissed and sometimes become quite insulting.

basically, angela harlem's post really summed up my feelings in a nicer, civil manner.

I hope none of the people complaining about downloading have any of the Achtung Baby outtakes....

Thanks for the heads up, mikal! I need to get back into Soulseek.

I want it! Doesn't matter about downloading to me, as I'm buying it when it comes out anyway, just like I bought the first one, but there's been a drought of good new CDs and I'm good and ready.

Has anyone put it up on bit torrents yet?

anitram, check out the thread at the Radiohead forum that i linked in my first post and you'll find it. i think it's like the 10th page or so.

mikal said:
i have a certain respect level that i expect

We all do. You only get the respect you give. I was trying to be
conciliatory when I posted the following, but got told to "stay the fuck out." That's an odd kind of respect.

But I'm not here to pick a fight (could have fooled you, eh?), merely to state my view on illegal downloading. And I certainly understand the strong desire to hear the music of a band you love - we all have strongly anticipated an album or two in our lives. I believe music sounds better when it is legally obtained and the artist fairly compensated. I guess it's an issue each of us works out for ourselves.

But I'm done in this thread. Enjoy the album.

Back
Top Bottom