New Eminem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
B

Bono's Lemon

Download Eminem's new song "White America". It is absolutely mindblowingly powerful.

you can download the whole album actually, and the release date has been moved up to the last Tuesday in May because of this

I heard about 5 or 6 tracks yesterday on the Opie & Anthony Show, there was one that used Aerosmith's "Dream On" as a sample, another song was about smacking around "bitches" and another one blamed the hypocricy of the government for oppressing his right for artistic expression, uh-huh...

I'm not a big Eminem fan, the music sounded ok, the lyrics sounded like Eminem was going out of his way to shock people and create more controversy, it gets old after awhile, I'd have to have a closer look at the lyrics, but it didnt seem like he was really bringing anything meaningful and relevant to the table (which he has done before, but this seemed more like angry ranting than anything else, but again, I've only heard about 6 tracks)

I think he's done.

He'll have big opening week sales, but after a month he'll be falling down fast.

You can only insult so many people. and you can only play the same old character so many times before people get sick of it.

i think people ARE sick of it.

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
I'd have to have a closer look at the lyrics, but it didnt seem like he was really bringing anything meaningful and relevant to the table
his flow is still well above avarage though

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I think it's pretty cowardly of him to knock non-threat targets like the guy from NSYNC and Moby. Sure, they are easy to make fun of - but they are not in Eminem's "game" or "scene" and have no bearing on his acceptance in the hip-hop world.

If he wants to prove he is a master blaster, he needs to diss on someone who really is a threat, or however the rap world reasons with each other to start dissing.

I'm not a fan of Eminem. He's entertaining. But I'd never shell out money for him.

------------------
chuck me in the shallow water before I get too deep.
carrie@interference.com

[This message has been edited by HelloAngel (edited 05-20-2002).]

it is getting old hearing em attack the same old targets....i do want to hear the album befor i decide on it....the 2econd ones only draw back was that the only time u can truely appriciate the album is when ur mad...but em wont attack legit mc's...its not commercial friendly...

Originally posted by BEAL:
I think he's done.

Someone get a fork.

------------------
When life hands you a lemon, say "Oh yeah, I like lemons. What else you got?" --Henry Rollins

Let me guess....you silly Eminem haters think Lil Bow Wow is God's gift to rap music....not to mention, you'll enjoy his newest movie as well.

icon28.gif

Originally posted by Nikolaas:
Let me guess....you silly Eminem haters think Lil Bow Wow is God's gift to rap music....not to mention, you'll enjoy his newest movie as well.

That's extremely humorous and presumptuous of you.

We're not silly "haters" as you put it.

Just because we don't care for Eminem doesn't make us uninformed about rap music, and it certainly doesn't indicate where our hip-hop tastes lay enough to cause you to bring up Bow Wow and presume to think we enjoy his music at all. He's a kid, we are not.

Move along now.
rolleyes.gif

------------------
chuck me in the shallow water before I get too deep.
carrie@interference.com

I wish at age 10 or whatever I had 22 year old women bumpin and grindin all over me.

you're right...he is the greatest...have you seen his TWIX commerical???? Brilliant

Originally posted by BEAL:
I think he's done.

He'll have big opening week sales, but after a month he'll be falling down fast.

You can only insult so many people. and you can only play the same old character so many times before people get sick of it.

i think people ARE sick of it.

i think the em show is great

like salome said its the flow which is superb

and the music.its funny most of his new songs he produced himself, only a couple dre did. and hes learned well from his master.

I've only heard the first single off of his new album, but I crank it everytime it's on...it's catchy.

Ok I guess i'll have to say it again people...
DON'T HATE THE PLAYER, HATE THE GAME!
I appreciate how you think that he is unkind to Moby and N*SYNC and all that, but it'the insults aren't meant to be taken seriosuly: they are pure entertainment. What he says isn't serious and he says it because the majority of us find it funny. I love Moby, I also thought it was funny when Eminem made fun of him. I also found the whole Christina Agulera thing to be classic back in the day, (the fact that she got so upset was even better.)
The fact that most of you want to extrapolate on it being"over" for him is ammusing as well because I know for a fact that the majority of you don't even listen to hip - hop anyway so really it's just all conjecture. He has a HUGE following in the scene, and everyone is stoked on the new album, so whatever.
But anyway - why is his flow so fucking fat? I think what impresses me most about him is hid diction. He speaks so clearly, but fits so many sylables in. I love White America, it's probably the best on the new album, I also like the song that Hailey sings on. I find it cute as all hell.

I don't like his message, but his hooks are stellar. How can you not sing along?

I mean, I love Moby but nobody listens to techno is so fun to sing!

Let the facts speak for themselves. Eminem is releasing his third album since 1999, and THESE are the first singles off each album:

"My Name Is" - from The Slim Shady LP (1999)
"The Real Slim Shady" - from The Marshall Mathers LP (2000)
"Without Me" - from The Eminem Show (2002)

Anybody notice a similiarity? I do. I try not to swear, but it's THE SAME FUCKING SONG.

Eminem represents the absolute worst of hip-hop: controversy, posturing, mud-slinging, and extreme narcissism instead of things like SUBSTANCE.

Sure, I understand that it's all one big joke, a self-styled image to either play to or contraditct the expectations of the audience. (See also: Marilyn Manson and Madonna.)

I understand that; hell, U2's done the same thing through persona's like "The Fly" and "Macphisto." But I think there's a supreme difference:

Substance.

Even as songs as seemingly throwaway as "Discotheque," there are layers of meaning.

Stan notwithstanding, WHERE is the substance in any of the three songs above?

Bubba, those songs are all throwaways and do truly represent the worst of rap.... however, Stan, Sing for the Moment, Cleaning Out my Closet... Em does have the ability to deal out music with substance on occasion. I wouldn't call myself a fan, but I do occasionally see what he's saying. That said, most of the time, he isn't saying anything.

UnforgettableLemon said:
Bubba, those songs are all throwaways and do truly represent the worst of rap.... however, Stan, Sing for the Moment, Cleaning Out my Closet... Em does have the ability to deal out music with substance on occasion. I wouldn't call myself a fan, but I do occasionally see what he's saying. That said, most of the time, he isn't saying anything.

Yeah, it's clear that he's quite talented and that he occasionally creates a genuinely good song, but - in my opinion - that makes the situation worse: he's wasting such great opportunities to say something meaningful AND be heard.

notiti said:
Ok I guess i'll have to say it again people...
DON'T HATE THE PLAYER, HATE THE GAME!
I appreciate how you think that he is unkind to Moby and N*SYNC and all that, but it'the insults aren't meant to be taken seriosuly: they are pure entertainment. What he says isn't serious and he says it because the majority of us find it funny. I love Moby, I also thought it was funny when Eminem made fun of him. I also found the whole Christina Agulera thing to be classic back in the day, (the fact that she got so upset was even better.)
The fact that most of you want to extrapolate on it being"over" for him is ammusing as well because I know for a fact that the majority of you don't even listen to hip - hop anyway so really it's just all conjecture. He has a HUGE following in the scene, and everyone is stoked on the new album, so whatever.
But anyway - why is his flow so fucking fat? I think what impresses me most about him is hid diction. He speaks so clearly, but fits so many sylables in. I love White America, it's probably the best on the new album, I also like the song that Hailey sings on. I find it cute as all hell.

Okay first of all - you cannot possibly know for a *fact* anything about us other than there is a strong possibility we all like U2 a whole bunch.

Second of all, I've grown up on hip-hop. I'm grown now, but I have a wide range of knowledge on the subject.

Third, NO - the majority of people does NOT find him funny. I don't think it's possible to know what any majority thinks. Em has become a social pariah of sorts. But it really depends on your age and your perspective of how BIG an artist is.

And finally - as a woman, and a friend to the homosexual community, I find Em's last two albums beyond indecent. There's nothing funny *at all* about songs talking about killing his girlfriend/wife. NOTHING. There's nothing funny about being homophobic. Those are topics that angry and impressionable people might take to heart, and not be able to see that Em didn't really *want* to kill Kim - but SOME DON'T GET IT.

I've heard the albums; he can flow, he has talent and is very intelligent. I'm glad he cleaned up his act on this last album for the most part and is moving away from such erroneous topics.

And yes, I have friends in the hip-hop scene as well. But these are people who live hip-hop, and they see Eminem as a candy-ass, and although they respect his flow, they find him cartoonish.

Achtung Bubba said:
Let the facts speak for themselves. Eminem is releasing his third album since 1999, and THESE are the first singles off each album:

"My Name Is" - from The Slim Shady LP (1999)
"The Real Slim Shady" - from The Marshall Mathers LP (2000)
"Without Me" - from The Eminem Show (2002)

Anybody notice a similiarity? I do. I try not to swear, but it's THE SAME FUCKING SONG.

Eminem represents the absolute worst of hip-hop: controversy, posturing, mud-slinging, and extreme narcissism instead of things like SUBSTANCE

Bubba, I couldn't agree more. I was thinking the same thing when all I could hear of "Without Me" was the beat coming from a car outside my apartment. I thought "isn't this just like every other song except speeded up a bit?" I used to find him entertaining but now I'm tired of the same old song.

Back
Top Bottom