New Eminem - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2002, 11:17 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 11:40 AM

Ok I guess i'll have to say it again people...
DON'T HATE THE PLAYER, HATE THE GAME!
I appreciate how you think that he is unkind to Moby and N*SYNC and all that, but it'the insults aren't meant to be taken seriosuly: they are pure entertainment. What he says isn't serious and he says it because the majority of us find it funny. I love Moby, I also thought it was funny when Eminem made fun of him. I also found the whole Christina Agulera thing to be classic back in the day, (the fact that she got so upset was even better.)
The fact that most of you want to extrapolate on it being"over" for him is ammusing as well because I know for a fact that the majority of you don't even listen to hip - hop anyway so really it's just all conjecture. He has a HUGE following in the scene, and everyone is stoked on the new album, so whatever.
But anyway - why is his flow so fucking fat? I think what impresses me most about him is hid diction. He speaks so clearly, but fits so many sylables in. I love White America, it's probably the best on the new album, I also like the song that Hailey sings on. I find it cute as all hell.

Old 06-05-2002, 12:22 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:40 PM
I don't like his message, but his hooks are stellar. How can you not sing along?

I mean, I love Moby but nobody listens to techno is so fun to sing!

Old 06-05-2002, 12:44 AM   #18
Refugee

Let the facts speak for themselves. Eminem is releasing his third album since 1999, and THESE are the first singles off each album:

"My Name Is" - from The Slim Shady LP (1999)
"The Real Slim Shady" - from The Marshall Mathers LP (2000)
"Without Me" - from The Eminem Show (2002)

Anybody notice a similiarity? I do. I try not to swear, but it's THE SAME FUCKING SONG.

Eminem represents the absolute worst of hip-hop: controversy, posturing, mud-slinging, and extreme narcissism instead of things like SUBSTANCE.

Sure, I understand that it's all one big joke, a self-styled image to either play to or contraditct the expectations of the audience. (See also: Marilyn Manson and Madonna.)

I understand that; hell, U2's done the same thing through persona's like "The Fly" and "Macphisto." But I think there's a supreme difference:

Substance.

Even as songs as seemingly throwaway as "Discotheque," there are layers of meaning.

Stan notwithstanding, WHERE is the substance in any of the three songs above?
Old 06-05-2002, 01:28 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Bubba, those songs are all throwaways and do truly represent the worst of rap.... however, Stan, Sing for the Moment, Cleaning Out my Closet... Em does have the ability to deal out music with substance on occasion. I wouldn't call myself a fan, but I do occasionally see what he's saying. That said, most of the time, he isn't saying anything.
Old 06-05-2002, 05:54 AM   #20
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by madonna's child
I don't like his message, but his hooks are stellar. How can you not sing along?
Old 06-05-2002, 09:49 AM   #21
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by UnforgettableLemon
Bubba, those songs are all throwaways and do truly represent the worst of rap.... however, Stan, Sing for the Moment, Cleaning Out my Closet... Em does have the ability to deal out music with substance on occasion. I wouldn't call myself a fan, but I do occasionally see what he's saying. That said, most of the time, he isn't saying anything.
Yeah, it's clear that he's quite talented and that he occasionally creates a genuinely good song, but - in my opinion - that makes the situation worse: he's wasting such great opportunities to say something meaningful AND be heard.
Old 06-05-2002, 10:24 AM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by notiti
Ok I guess i'll have to say it again people...
DON'T HATE THE PLAYER, HATE THE GAME!
I appreciate how you think that he is unkind to Moby and N*SYNC and all that, but it'the insults aren't meant to be taken seriosuly: they are pure entertainment. What he says isn't serious and he says it because the majority of us find it funny. I love Moby, I also thought it was funny when Eminem made fun of him. I also found the whole Christina Agulera thing to be classic back in the day, (the fact that she got so upset was even better.)
The fact that most of you want to extrapolate on it being"over" for him is ammusing as well because I know for a fact that the majority of you don't even listen to hip - hop anyway so really it's just all conjecture. He has a HUGE following in the scene, and everyone is stoked on the new album, so whatever.
But anyway - why is his flow so fucking fat? I think what impresses me most about him is hid diction. He speaks so clearly, but fits so many sylables in. I love White America, it's probably the best on the new album, I also like the song that Hailey sings on. I find it cute as all hell.
Okay first of all - you cannot possibly know for a *fact* anything about us other than there is a strong possibility we all like U2 a whole bunch.

Second of all, I've grown up on hip-hop. I'm grown now, but I have a wide range of knowledge on the subject.

Third, NO - the majority of people does NOT find him funny. I don't think it's possible to know what any majority thinks. Em has become a social pariah of sorts. But it really depends on your age and your perspective of how BIG an artist is.

And finally - as a woman, and a friend to the homosexual community, I find Em's last two albums beyond indecent. There's nothing funny *at all* about songs talking about killing his girlfriend/wife. NOTHING. There's nothing funny about being homophobic. Those are topics that angry and impressionable people might take to heart, and not be able to see that Em didn't really *want* to kill Kim - but SOME DON'T GET IT.

I've heard the albums; he can flow, he has talent and is very intelligent. I'm glad he cleaned up his act on this last album for the most part and is moving away from such erroneous topics.

And yes, I have friends in the hip-hop scene as well. But these are people who live hip-hop, and they see Eminem as a candy-ass, and although they respect his flow, they find him cartoonish.
Old 06-05-2002, 10:50 AM   #23
Bad Daddy Johnny

I'd rather hear the Roots anyway.
Old 06-05-2002, 01:44 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Achtung Bubba
Let the facts speak for themselves. Eminem is releasing his third album since 1999, and THESE are the first singles off each album:

"My Name Is" - from The Slim Shady LP (1999)
"The Real Slim Shady" - from The Marshall Mathers LP (2000)
"Without Me" - from The Eminem Show (2002)

Anybody notice a similiarity? I do. I try not to swear, but it's THE SAME FUCKING SONG.

Eminem represents the absolute worst of hip-hop: controversy, posturing, mud-slinging, and extreme narcissism instead of things like SUBSTANCE
Bubba, I couldn't agree more. I was thinking the same thing when all I could hear of "Without Me" was the beat coming from a car outside my apartment. I thought "isn't this just like every other song except speeded up a bit?" I used to find him entertaining but now I'm tired of the same old song.
Old 06-05-2002, 01:49 PM   #25
Refugee

Local Time: 03:40 AM

Eminem is a little homophobic loser!!!