New Bill Murray Movie, Broken Flowers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
I love Bill Murray. I hope this movie will be shown everywhere, not just in the city theaters

Review: 'Broken Flowers' Typical Jarmusch By DAVID GERMAIN, AP Movie Writer

In "Broken Flowers," writer-director Jim Jarmusch again makes clear that the journey, not the destination, is what matters to him. And in Bill Murray, he has found an ideal traveling companion.

This strange, dream-like road trip is a near-perfect match of droll director and droller star. Jarmusch has enlisted great stone faces in the past: Johnny Depp in "Dead Man"; Forest Whitaker in "Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai."

Yet with Murray, who hilariously starred in a segment of Jarmusch's bull-sessions collection "Coffee and Cigarettes," the filmmaker finds a peerless vessel for his aloof, minimalist style.

Despite a quest that should be fraught with emotion — a man's visits to old lovers in search of a son he never knew he had — Murray registers scarcely any expression beyond the apathetic world-weariness fast becoming his trademark.

Balanced against more overt co-stars Sharon Stone, Jessica Lange, Tilda Swinton, Julie Delpy, Frances Conroy and Jeffrey Wright, Murray stands as a wondrous question mark just begging audiences to formulate their own answers about what lies beneath his cryptic demeanor.

With such stars and a more accessible story than usual, Jarmusch has created his most commercially appealing movie yet, without sacrificing much of the inscrutable detachment his cult fan base enjoys.

The movie's structure is typically episodic. Murray plays ladies man Don Johnston, the classic Don Juan who knows his appeal is slipping with age and may not really care, putting up only token resistance when his current lover, Sherry (Delpy), leaves him.

Sherry's departure corresponds with the arrival of a pink letter from an unidentified ex-flame, telling Don he has a 19-year-old son who may be trying to contact his father.

Don seems unfazed, content to run out the clock in seclusion, listening to music, watching TV and living off the wealth he gained as a computer whiz (Don's disinterest runs so deep now that he doesn't own a computer himself).

But his neighbor and buddy, family man Winston (Wright), steps in and convinces Don to take an elaborate trek to visit the women who could have given birth to his son in that time frame:

• Loose and lively Laura (Stone), widow of a race-car driver, whose daughter, Lolita (Alexis Dziena), exposes Don to the sort of Nabokov titillation her name implies.

• Dora (Conroy) is the flip side of Laura, living an antiseptic life in one of the prefab luxury homes she and her hubby (Christopher McDonald) sell for a living.

• Carmen (Lange) should be a space cadet given her profession, an "animal communicator" who puts people in sync with their pets. Yet she's a shrewd, passionately pragmatic woman who sends her old lover packing with a brusque insight or two, her protective assistant (Chloe Sevigny) adding to Don's discomfit.

• Penny (Swinton) is a biker chick whose fierce and fleeting exchange with Don works brilliantly as far as it goes, which is not very far, the actress in and out of the movie in a flash.

Don devolves from welcomed surprise guest to interloper to outright intruder, compounding his state of general confusion without offering a shred of enlightenment.

His most comforting encounter is the most passive, at a dead lover's grave. Don is at his least guarded here, the scene sweet, touching, almost revealing of the tender heart that may have once beaten in his chest, and may be beating there still.

Don seems resigned at the outset to slowly let go of life, and the women from his past reveal nothing to convince him otherwise. Only after one last unexpected encounter does Jarmusch hint that Don has found something to care about, but the filmmaker parks his hero at the crossroads, leaving audiences to ponder what that might be and how Don might respond.

Murray has been playing subtle variations on the same sad-sack theme for years now in "Rushmore," "Cradle Will Rock," "The Royal Tenenbaums," "Lost in Translation" and "The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou."

Yet his schtick never grows tired — it gets richer with each incarnation. Murray is amassing a body of work in a comic-drama vein to rival the madcap mania of his "Caddyshack," "Stripes" and "Ghostbusters" years.

Wright's cheery optimism is a great complement to Murray's dourness, while the actresses are tremendous foils, each an example of the woman wronged, or at least dinged, by her relationship with Don.

The vague dissatisfaction he feels with his visits spreads to the audience, making you long to know more of the back-story between Don and the women, particularly Swinton's character.

But that would undermine Jarmusch's aim, to take people on a little ride and let them crane their necks at what flits by, deciding for themselves whatever it is they've seen.

I saw a movie review in Rolling Stone ... they gave this movie 3 stars (which means Excellent !!)
I may go and see it when it comes out ... as I love Bill Murray ... :bow:
A truly talented actor whose past movies have always been GREAT !! :up:

I believe this movie is out, just in very limited areas/theaters. I saw an ad for it in the paper - wasn't aware there was a new Bill Murray movie out :ohmy: I still need to rent the last one (Life Aquatic...). Looking forward to it! I love Bill...

Watch that first step... it's a dooooooooooooooooooooozy! :wink:

MsMofoGone said:
A truly talented actor whose past movies have always been GREAT !! :up:

i too luv to watch bill .... plus, he's been in two of my favorite movies ever: :heart:Rushmore:heart: and Lost in Translation

Lila64 said:
I still need to rent the last one (Life Aquatic...). :

another bill murray/wes anderson collaboration gone good! ... soundtracks to anderson movies are always a treat

I'm really looking forward to this. He plays a sad old fucker so well (Steve Zissou, Herman Bloom, Raleigh St. Clair) in three of my favorite movies ever.

The review I read this morning gave it four out of four stars and basically said it's amazing

Of course it's only playing here in two theaters, in the city..while my megaplex has Dukes Of Hazzard on 3 screens :banghead:

then they wonder why the movie business is in decline

Jim Jarmusch is a truely gifted director.

Is he the best?

look at these ratings of his films from IMDB

Broken Flowers 8.6

Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai 7.5

Dead Man 7.7

Night on Earth 7.6

Mystery Train 7.4

Down by Law 7.7

Stranger Than Paradise 7.5

Can any one think of any one that is even close?

The Magnolia in Dallas is one of two theatres playing it in Texas. I've got five days off in a row starting tomorrow, so hopefully I can make some time for it.

deep said:
Jim Jarmusch is a truely gifted director.

Broken Flowers 8.6

Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai 7.5

Dead Man 7.7

Night on Earth 7.6

Mystery Train 7.4

Down by Law 7.7

Stranger Than Paradise 7.5

I have seen all of J J films

and Flowers is not one of the best.

It may well be the most commercially successful
because of the popularity of "lost in translation" and Bill Murray.

I liked Sharon Stone and the ending best.

I can't wait to see it.

Looking at that list I don't remember Dead Man or Ghost Dog. *adds to Netflix queue*

deep said:

two of his best

you should not be disappointed

Dead Man is on its way to me.

Coffee & Cigarettes had some great moments but overall wasn't one of my favorites. I wanted it to be, but it wasn't. Still great, though.

Bill Murray is such a perfect Jarmusch actor. Can't wait to see the movie. It better open here this weekend :mad:

I saw it yesterday and I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's really interesting to imagine where we will be in 20 years and how everyone we knew (including ourselves) will have changed, maybe to the point where you're not even recognizable to each other anymore.

Sharon Stone and Lolita were fabulous.

The women in Broken Flowers are really great. To me that's what this movie is really about. Bill Murray's talent was sorta wasted, I thought. Not Jarmusch's best movie but enjoyable nonetheless.

Back
Top Bottom