New bands to plug - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2002, 02:57 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:21 PM
New bands to plug

Don't nobody say Coldplay......

I'm talking about bands that are NEW or mayhaps just new to you.

Bands that you won't see on TV and that you hear about by going and seein' 'em fookin LIVE.

Mine:
Rye Coalition (saw them last nite at the Black Cat, they were AWESOME. The lead singer looked like 2 Ryan Adamses and 1 Adam Duritz had a baby.... and also they have that muffled voice thing goin on... my friend Matthew sent me some of their songs and I was like "DOOD THAT IS THE HIVES" so if you like that kinda music --which I do-- you will probably like Rye Coalition. They're from Jersey! One of the geetarists was really hot too.... they just have FUN on stage. It's awesome. I couldn't stop smiling.)

Shellac (also saw THEM last nite. Didn't like 'em as much as Rye Coalition bc personally not my kind of music...they mostly did a lot of instrumental things...reminded me a little of Wilco only harder...in that there were kind of awkward rhythms. Personally, made me and Matthew kind of nervous lol but Michael, Julian, and Ryan totally loved it. Shellac is definitely interesting and talented. Definitely better live than I think they could be on a CD. I couldn't imagine listening to them without seeing them playing. I will be downloading their songs though, bc I was interested in the lyrics and wanna hear 'em better than you can live)

Tiger Army bc you can never have too much rockabilly. I don't know WHAT it is about these guys, but it seems like..just FUN. I can't explain it. They look all punk and semi-goth and have an upright bass....

aiight...who's next?

Old 10-17-2002, 03:23 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 08:21 PM

Rye Coalition....dammit...I KNOW I've heard about this band somewhere....and it's driving me fookin NUTS trying to figure out where. Any suggestions for tunes, Mona?
As for new bands....I'm working on that....I'm the worst at names...I remember shit like melodies and songs, yadda yadda before my memory latches onto the bands name.
If I think of anything....I'll get me arse back to this thread...
oxoxo

Old 10-17-2002, 04:26 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:21 PM
I like Shellac,...

There is a band called Millionaire and they come from Belgium. It is a kind of New Wave meets Grunge with punk. Check them out,...

Millionaire - outside the simian flock
Old 10-18-2002, 01:10 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Tegan and Sara.

They're these Canadian sisters who play sort of acoustic-ey folky stuff but, from what I can tell at my early stage of fandom, they're moving towards a slightly harder sound. I heard someone describe them as "what Ani Difranco would be if she didn't have Betty Friedan lodged up her ass," which isn't quite fair to Ani (who I love), but it's actually not a bad description of them. Nothing sonically earth-shaking. Just excellent songs with really great lyrics. They have some of their stuff to listen to at their website: www.teganandsara.com. But I recommend downloading the following since they don't have them at their site:

Living Room
I Wanna Be Bad
Frozen
Come On

They're also really sweet, adorable people, and it would be really cool to see them make it.

On an unrelated note, I would LOVE to see what you get when you mix two Ryan Adamses and an Adam Duritz. LMAO Mona.
Old 10-18-2002, 01:19 AM   #5
Kid A

wink

anal gravity
Old 10-18-2002, 02:19 PM   #6
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 02:21 PM
SPARTA
Old 10-18-2002, 07:47 PM   #7
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Hallelujah Here She Comes
Tegan and Sara.

They're these Canadian sisters who play sort of acoustic-ey folky stuff but, from what I can tell at my early stage of fandom, they're moving towards a slightly harder sound. I heard someone describe them as "what Ani Difranco would be if she didn't have Betty Friedan lodged up her ass," which isn't quite fair to Ani (who I love), but it's actually not a bad description of them. Nothing sonically earth-shaking. Just excellent songs with really great lyrics. They have some of their stuff to listen to at their website: www.teganandsara.com. But I recommend downloading the following since they don't have them at their site:

Living Room
I Wanna Be Bad
Frozen
Come On

They're also really sweet, adorable people, and it would be really cool to see them make it.

On an unrelated note, I would LOVE to see what you get when you mix two Ryan Adamses and an Adam Duritz. LMAO Mona.
Amen to that.

I would have bought their cd had I had $15 on me.
Old 10-18-2002, 07:54 PM   #8
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel

Amen to that.

I would have bought their cd had I had $15 on me.
Girl, I would have bought you one, ya know! Tegan and Sara were really good!!!!!

I can't get over the thought of two Ryan Adamses put together.......it's like my sig come true...sort of...

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 10-18-2002, 07:56 PM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor

girl get on the msn

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick

Girl, I would have bought you one, ya know! Tegan and Sara were really good!!!!!

I can't get over the thought of two Ryan Adamses put together....

LOL! Yeah, when I had asked you if you wanted one and you pulled out the $20, I was like, "Ok, how much is too much?" and then you were just looking at me, lol. Aww, thanks girl.

Haha, I think you'd explode if that ever happened. Get the pics yet????? (Hopefully tomorrow.)
Old 11-21-2002, 06:33 AM   #10
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:21 AM
burn ibiza is a one-man-band experimenting with electro-acoustic sounds. He hails from Malaysia and sings in English. I'd recommend 'gossamer strain' first, it is instrumental & won some award.
Old 11-22-2002, 07:45 AM   #11
War Child

Rodrigo Y Gabriele, mentioned them a few times here but nobody pays any attention, ya hear that ya bunch of mofos?! CHECK EM OUT! Just Spanish guitar shit gone nuts, amazing really!

Turn, a new Irish band, saw em live the other night supporting the Frames and they were very loud and very impressive!

The Frames, not new round these parts but not too well known outside Ireland, which is blasphemy as they are one of the best Irish bands EVER!
Old 11-22-2002, 05:36 PM   #12
Acrobat

not sure if she still counts as new, and some of you are probably sick hearing me talk about her but GEMMA HAYES!

My favourite album of the year.

www.gemmahayes.com
Old 11-23-2002, 12:14 AM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor

I don't know if he's new, but Lilly has introduced me to Martin Sexton.

Old 11-23-2002, 08:24 PM   #14
New Yorker

WYEP is the public radio statio here in PIttsburgh. They play Martin Sexton a lot. I think he's cool!!

I went to a show of a "new" band that I love, called "Hem."

http://www.rabbitsongs.com/

They do awesome rendtions of traditional american music. Very sweet and earthy but powerful. The lead singer did a duet with Beth Orton. They sang "Tennesee Waltz." (Not at my show unfortunately!)

And then Sigur Ros has a new album out.

There's also this band that my husband just added to our mp3 archive called Nortec Collective. Very funky, groovy music with a kind of Aztec Techno Twist.

We love them both!
Old 11-23-2002, 08:45 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Bright Eyes!!!
does Audioslave count?