New bands to plug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MonaVox

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Don't nobody say Coldplay...... ;) :tongue:

I'm talking about bands that are NEW or mayhaps just new to you.

Bands that you won't see on TV and that you hear about by going and seein' 'em fookin LIVE.

Mine:
Rye Coalition (saw them last nite at the Black Cat, they were AWESOME. The lead singer looked like 2 Ryan Adamses and 1 Adam Duritz had a baby.... and also they have that muffled voice thing goin on... my friend Matthew sent me some of their songs and I was like "DOOD THAT IS THE HIVES" so if you like that kinda music --which I do-- you will probably like Rye Coalition. They're from Jersey! One of the geetarists was really hot too.... they just have FUN on stage. It's awesome. I couldn't stop smiling.)

Shellac (also saw THEM last nite. Didn't like 'em as much as Rye Coalition bc personally not my kind of music...they mostly did a lot of instrumental things...reminded me a little of Wilco only harder...in that there were kind of awkward rhythms. Personally, made me and Matthew kind of nervous :huh: lol but Michael, Julian, and Ryan totally loved it. Shellac is definitely interesting and talented. Definitely better live than I think they could be on a CD. I couldn't imagine listening to them without seeing them playing. I will be downloading their songs though, bc I was interested in the lyrics and wanna hear 'em better than you can live)

Tiger Army bc you can never have too much rockabilly. I don't know WHAT it is about these guys, but it seems like..just FUN. I can't explain it. They look all punk and semi-goth and have an upright bass....

aiight...who's next?

:scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
Rye Coalition....dammit...I KNOW I've heard about this band somewhere....and it's driving me fookin NUTS trying to figure out where. Any suggestions for tunes, Mona?
As for new bands....I'm working on that....I'm the worst at names...I remember shit like melodies and songs, yadda yadda before my memory latches onto the bands name.:coocoo: :reject: :help:
If I think of anything....I'll get me arse back to this thread...
oxoxo

I like Shellac,...

There is a band called Millionaire and they come from Belgium. It is a kind of New Wave meets Grunge with punk. Check them out,...

Millionaire - outside the simian flock

Tegan and Sara.

They're these Canadian sisters who play sort of acoustic-ey folky stuff but, from what I can tell at my early stage of fandom, they're moving towards a slightly harder sound. I heard someone describe them as "what Ani Difranco would be if she didn't have Betty Friedan lodged up her ass," which isn't quite fair to Ani (who I love), but it's actually not a bad description of them. Nothing sonically earth-shaking. Just excellent songs with really great lyrics. They have some of their stuff to listen to at their website: www.teganandsara.com. But I recommend downloading the following since they don't have them at their site:

Living Room
I Wanna Be Bad
Frozen
Come On

They're also really sweet, adorable people, and it would be really cool to see them make it. :)

On an unrelated note, I would LOVE to see what you get when you mix two Ryan Adamses and an Adam Duritz. LMAO Mona.

Last edited:
Hallelujah Here She Comes said:
Tegan and Sara.

They're these Canadian sisters who play sort of acoustic-ey folky stuff but, from what I can tell at my early stage of fandom, they're moving towards a slightly harder sound. I heard someone describe them as "what Ani Difranco would be if she didn't have Betty Friedan lodged up her ass," which isn't quite fair to Ani (who I love), but it's actually not a bad description of them. Nothing sonically earth-shaking. Just excellent songs with really great lyrics. They have some of their stuff to listen to at their website: www.teganandsara.com. But I recommend downloading the following since they don't have them at their site:

Living Room
I Wanna Be Bad
Frozen
Come On

They're also really sweet, adorable people, and it would be really cool to see them make it. :)

On an unrelated note, I would LOVE to see what you get when you mix two Ryan Adamses and an Adam Duritz. LMAO Mona.

Amen to that.

I would have bought their cd had I had $15 on me. :)

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

Amen to that.

I would have bought their cd had I had $15 on me. :)

Girl, I would have bought you one, ya know! :hug: Tegan and Sara were really good!!!!!

I can't get over the thought of two Ryan Adamses put together....:drool:...it's like my sig come true...sort of...:D

girl get on the msn

Bonochick said:

Girl, I would have bought you one, ya know! :hug: Tegan and Sara were really good!!!!!

I can't get over the thought of two Ryan Adamses put together....:drool: :D

LOL! Yeah, when I had asked you if you wanted one and you pulled out the $20, I was like, "Ok, how much is too much?" and then you were just looking at me, lol. Aww, thanks girl. :hug:

Haha, I think you'd explode if that ever happened. Get the pics yet????? (Hopefully tomorrow.)

Rodrigo Y Gabriele, mentioned them a few times here but nobody pays any attention, ya hear that ya bunch of mofos?!:p CHECK EM OUT! Just Spanish guitar shit gone nuts, amazing really!

Turn, a new Irish band, saw em live the other night supporting the Frames and they were very loud and very impressive!

The Frames, not new round these parts but not too well known outside Ireland, which is blasphemy as they are one of the best Irish bands EVER!

WYEP is the public radio statio here in PIttsburgh. They play Martin Sexton a lot. I think he's cool!!

I went to a show of a "new" band that I love, called "Hem."

http://www.rabbitsongs.com/

They do awesome rendtions of traditional american music. Very sweet and earthy but powerful. The lead singer did a duet with Beth Orton. They sang "Tennesee Waltz." (Not at my show unfortunately!)

And then Sigur Ros has a new album out.

There's also this band that my husband just added to our mp3 archive called Nortec Collective. Very funky, groovy music with a kind of Aztec Techno Twist.

We love them both!

Ah yes, good thread to resurrect

ive a plethora of recommendations I suppose

not all of these are new bands, but check em anyway

Royksopp- Melody AM, Im about to buy this album, very good stuff!

Ted Leo and the Pharmacists- Hearts of Oak, mentioned this in another thread, good punky sounding east coast stuff.

Arab Strap- Mondays at the hug and pint, another solid effort from these indie rockers

Cat Power- you are free......excellent, excellent album......(that ive yet to purchse)...i know I know

Aqualung- very mellow sound to this guy, I really like it though, give him a listen.....

thats all for now.
-EP

The Gabe Dixon Band

I love these guys! :heart:

They've got a mixture of all kinds of styles... a must see if you're ever in the area where they're performing!

Songs I'd recommend to get you started:

Happy Woman (no question, one of their most popular songs)
More Than It Would Seem
Now (for a taste of the slower stuff)

Sidenote: Gabe played keyboards on Paul McCartney's last album and was invited to tour with him, but turned it down to focus on the GDB instead :)

will...not...read...this...thread...

it will possibly lead to a crashing of the hard drive and then a crashing of my bank account

meegannie said:
:yawn: EP, you are so slow sometimes. ;)
I know these arent new bands, but I'd be willing to bet that 80% of those that come here dont know of them all......so I ask you am I slow, or genius........:wink:

Yo Elvis

slow shmow...anytime is a good time to plug a band that you like!:D
I have that Cat Power album...dude...if you don't have it yet...go out and get it!!! :up:

I'm getting into this band called HIM...they're a goth band from Finland. Not the usual type of music I like, but this ones pretty good! the singer's got a really nice voice... plus he's drop dead goergoeus! :drool:

Not new. Oh well.

Maximilian Hecker

?ROSE" is completely free of the ?classic Brit-Pop influences" as one could still hear them on the first album. Looking for comparisons you?d be tending more towards tracks by SIGUR ROS, maybe also SIMON and GARFUNKEL or SUEDE.
MAXIMILIAN has become more daring especially with his lyrics, very personal, exposed and denuding they?ve become, poetic and sensual.

with GARETH JONES the right person was found to produce the album. GARETH has worked in the past with DEPECHE MODE, EINST?RZENDEN NEUBAUTEN, MOBY, WIRE, GOLDFRAPP, ERASURE and many more, but was capable of approaching MAXIMILIAN?s songs in a very sensible and reserved way.

also live, MAXIMILIAN will have changed. the tour to ?ROSE" will not be a solotour anymore, he will be performing . with a 3 piece band, enabling him to capture and represent the full dynamics and energy of the album more than adequately in any concerts.

?ROSE" is the first proof for the right way - what a great future in front of him! we? ll treat this records as a big priority as the album is fantastic ! 10 out of 10 !
http://www.kitty-yo.net/index2.php

MAXIMILLIAN HECKER and the INFINITE LOVE SONGS

He comes across as a simple man with simple delights and as a result of that the voice is the permeating source of delight on this most audacious of recordings. The swooping nature of a vocal that is inherently young and pained is quite hard to listen to at first; The Days Are Long And Filled With Pain is an obvious example of his romantic straining. But it?s not until the album draws to a close that he becomes more defined. Let Me Out is stunning in its arrangement and it puts Maxi through his paces in a Nick Drake/Elbow style. It?s a find of dynamic proportions. Let?s see if he can do it live?
Ian Abraham

Recommended song: Polyester

The Cornerstones

The Cornerstones were formed in London in 2002. Think Crowded House, Neil Young, Van Morrison, Jimmy Webb and you wouldn?t even touch half of what makes this band tick.

Built on a touch of the old school with rock solid foundations, The Cornerstones have well-crafted songs with a touch of soul and delivered hand wrapped with an abundance of passion and feeling. If you love big vocals and big songs, backed by bigger harmonies then this may well be the band that you have been searching for all your lives!

Recommended song: Something I Gotta Do

http://www.users.dialstart.net/~ricson/menu.htm

Interpol -- great 80ish Smiths type moody NYC band
The Walkmen -- they do that Saturn commercial ["I'm just a modern guy..."]
saw Cursive a few weeks ago, they would good live and I may buy their album now

Clearlake

It has been way too long. And they say you only recognise the true value of something when it?s gone, but that?s not quite true. You can only miss something once you?ve realised it?s gone. And sometimes to realise you need to be reminded. Like receiving a postcard or seeing a painting or a video of a place full of memories ? but memories consigned by the years to the archives of your mind ? is like opening a door to your caged memoirs, brittle from years of disuse. And then so happy you are to find this lost treasure that from your selective recollection and maybe a few fictional additions of your own, what you?re encountering now far outweighs the reality of the original experience. All you really need to know about ?Cedars? is that this album is that picture postcard or painting.

Presuming that Clearlake, the fictional town created as a setting for this band?s creativity, had long blown off the map, subsided into the sea or fallen to ruin, makes it such a glory to find that it?s evolved into this. In memory at least. 2001 saw the utterly special debut ?Lido?, documenting Clearlake?s woes and mundanities with a lyrical clarity, burning a wick through off-kilter indieisms and giving the impression of a blank canvas that slightly betrayed the look of four men who?d blend into the background of any average Camden boozer. And ?Cedars? is just that, but more of course. It?s not like a digitally enhanced version, multiple-angle re-shoot with bigger, brighter, shinier lights, more a trip over its roof-tops in a hot air balloon with a Super-8 camera ticking over. Something that bit more grand.

The moment the record kicks off with the uncharacteristically stormy ?Almost The Same? it?s clear that constraints have been lifted. Either way, you can?t choose to amble when at the wind?s behest. Lead town planner Jason Pegg still sounds like a genetic compromise between Morrissey and Damon Albarn and is thus in perfect control of lyrics such as ?I wouldn?t hurt a fly, but I really want to punish you?, often sounding meek and masterful, sullen and sarcastic within the same breath. The record breathes a very British breath, is very correct in its eccentricisms, ambitious but not uncouth, typical to its surroundings. Surroundings built on a foundation of ?Great Eastern?-esque Delgados lushness and late-Blur Coxon-esque squibbles. This is probably the record Blur should have made next. Likelihood is they haven?t. The first truly great record of the year. You have missed them, believe us.

http://www.clearlake.uk.com/

Recommended song: I?d Like To Hurt You

Back
Top Bottom