New Audioslave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can't say I've heard it, but I gotta say that the 3 singles from the first album were extremely ordinary...specially cochise....over rated band...i hope their next album is better....

Soundgarden should just reform....

Heard the single today and was pretty disappointed. The verse is good but the rest is boring and predictable. Hope the rest of the album is better. IMO Soundgarden should get back together again though :sad:

sounds decent. i'm not overly impressed, though. i was disappointed in the first album enough not to buy it.

crap, it sounds exactly like something else but i can't figure out what. i hate that.

morello is still the man, and will always be the man, though.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
Yeah, I do!!

You need to have 267,000 + more people download it and then it will give you a license to play the entire song. I hope you backed up the license when you closed it.

I downloaded it, but couldn't open it. Now I can't figure out where on my computer I put it either.

Headache - did you catch them live in NY tonite? I read a Boston review on livedaily.com. My show is on 5/20 - can't wait. Although I'm going alone (nothing wrong with that). Tickets sold out instantly, and the band's website, well... has something to be desired. I thought I had signed up a couple of years ago, but never got any word from the site even saying there was a new album coming (May 24) nor anything about them touring. Even after tickets went on sale, there was still nothing on their website. And the first email I got (in ages) was this past week for the song download.

Feel free to PM me if you want

:smile:

Just thought I'd let everyone know there is a t o r r e n t of this available now at torre n tspy.com. I'm not listening until I buy the record, but I downloaded it and burned it for my old man already.

I got my copy in advance :wink:

I like 'Doesn't Remind Me'. Have to hear a few hundred more times. Before tonight when I see them perform live. Can't wait :hyper:

:rockon:

Yeah, I heard it was completely nuts.

As for the album, to me it sounds like more of the same. Although that same is very, very good, I just don't see any real growth out of them. There are some good songs on the record but after the first two or three listens, no one track is really leaping out at me.

That being said, as a whole it is good and worth the 11 dollars it will be at Target on Tuesday. I got the torrent, but I'll be buying the record too. I guess that's my file-sharing morals at work though.

Yeah, it hasn't blown me away yet. Some good tracks. But I just saw them in L.A. at the Wiltern, 5/20. They were f**king awesome. It was ungodly :rockon: . Chris said the Hollywood Blvd show was nuts - that 'security' couldn't handle it. Last night's show, they played 4 songs off the new album, a lot from the first, and some Soundgarden (band & acoustic) & some RATM. The crowd was went nuts. Best show since... U2 (only other band I've seen this year).

I just got it.

My problem with their first album was that most of it sounded like tuneless noise (with a few exceptions; I liked "What You Are" and "Like A Stone"). There was also way too much Tom Morello noodling. I'm sorry, but it sounds like he built his amp out of an Atari 2600. Experimentation's great, but sounding weird for the sake of sounding weird isn't. Out of all Cornell's backup bands (Soundgarden, Pearl Jam on Temple of the Dog, Eleven on Euphoria Morning), this is the one that's supported him the worst. All noise, no texture.

Mind, Cornell dropped the ball too, preferring to spout greasy rock cliches instead of singing anything meaningful and preferring to let out throaty screams rather than really resonate. On the whole, it just sounded bland and very quickly thrown together.

But anyway, Out of Exile has actual melodies and hooks and shit. They sound like a tight band. The rhythm section holds everything together like it should. Morello's playing rhythm too (in addition to his standard noodling, which sounds fine in context). Truly, a good band is greater than the sum of its parts. Cornell's voice also sounds much cleaner and less throaty (although there's plenty of that too, but at least it sounds like an intentional effect rather than an unfortunate limitation now).

But anyway, it's about the songs, and they haven't all grown on me yet except the surprisingly catchy "Be Yourself," "Doesn't Remind Me," and "Dandelion." "Doesn't Remind Me" in particular is wonderful and reminds me of what a remarkable songwriter Cornell is in the first place (and assures me that Morello is quite capable of doing ensemble work and supporting a recording rather than overwhelming it). The verses are as interesting as the choruses, which is a good start. Intriguing lyrics too (finally). "Dandelion" reminds me comfortably of the Stone Temple Pilots' brand of noisy pop (unusually beautiful guitar solo too).

Overall, it's a definite improvement over their horrible debut, and the band has finally justified its own existence. It's still by-the-numbers rock, but it's good by-the-numbers rock if nothing else (maybe even great, depending on whether the other songs grow on me). This is probably the weakest form of praise, but: I can't wait for their third one, when they'll really have their shit together.

Last edited:
I absolutely loved the first album, many songs that were just great. I did like "I Am The Highway" alot, especially the opening line... Pearls and swine bereft of me - just like how it flowed. It was great acoustically last week. He started it by himself, and then the band kicked in after a bit. And I also like: Cochise, Show Me How To Live, Gasoline, Like A Stone, Set It Off, Shadow On The Sun, Exploder,...

On the new album, so far, I'm liking: Doesn't Remind Me (ALOT!). I might have been one of the few people who knew it at the show (I've had the CD for about a week now). Also liked: Be Yourself, Your Time Has Come, Drown Me Slowy and Dandelion keeps standing out everytime I hear it. The more I hear it, the more I like it. Which is my usual MO. Just like HTDAAB. I wasn't thrilled with it at first, but over time it grew on me.

I'd still buy anything they put out. I believe the show they played in Cuba may have been filmed for later DVD release - who knows...

:rockon:

I loved Audioslave's debut album. Thought it was real solid through out. I haven't heard anything really from the latest effort. Should I buy it or not? The jury seems hung on this thread....

I'd say :up: There are several songs I like, and for me, I have to listen to a CD a hundred times before it sinks in. Some songs have definitely grown on me. As I said before, HTDAAB didn't grab me at first, but hearing it over and over as a whole - now I really enjoy it a lot. :yes:

I was extremely impressed with my first listen to this album. I recommend everyone go read www.allmusic.com 's review of the album, I'd say it's fairly accurate. More or less, they just say (like typhoon hit on) that this album actually feels like it was made together as a band (as opposed to getting a new singer to sing on Rage songs). They also gave it a considerably higher score than their first album. :up:

I was/am a big fan of their debut album, but this new one seems more consistant as a whole to me. That being said, nothing "totally blew me away" on the first listen (though I dont remember anything blowing me away with the debut either, actually I remember hating it at first).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom